You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

17 minutes ago, lebron said:

Hell, I'll criticise him as much as the next guy. Watching that game back though, and focusing on his one big mistake rather than the countless positive contributions seems a pretty dull way of watching the game.

The only times I get angry or is close to a heart attack during a game are when Henderson does his sideways routine instead of seeking to take on a player or play a pass between the lines (or when he lofts a floater into nowhere). That is far more detrimental to our chance of winning games on a regular basis than the occasional mistake.

I do agree that in Sunday's game we need to be clinical though, but that goes for every position on the pitch. Put it this way, I'm much more worried that Mo's lack of composure/form will cost us on Sunday than Thiago's sloppiness.

This is spot on. 

31 minutes ago, Mook said:

All I care about is winning games, I'm happy we won on Saturday but there were things there to worry me about playing away to City, including Thiago's mistake.

Some posters on here can't seem to accept any criticism of him at all. Yeah, I love watching him knock the ball about but no, I don't like having my heart appear in my gob everytime he wonders if he's left the cooker on & forgets he's playing professional Football.

It's not about not accepting criticism. You had loads of people calling him shite last season, which was nonsense. 

It's not like the criticizers are more nuanced than the ones who think he's perfect.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

All I care about is winning games, I'm happy we won on Saturday but there were things there to worry me about playing away to City, including Thiago's mistake.

Some posters on here can't seem to accept any criticism of him at all. Yeah, I love watching him knock the ball about but no, I don't like having my heart appear in my gob everytime he wonders if he's left the cooker on & forgets he's playing professional Football.

In fairness Mook, it goes both ways. You barely have a good word to say about him over the past couple of years. And that’s fine, I have my least favourites too; everyone does, it’s part and parcel of being a football fan isn’t it? Henderson could score a winning goal at the death at le Stade de France in May from Robbo’s cross and Stringy would still want Elliot and Tsimikas start first game of 22/23. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Code said:

That one pass to Jones yesterday was outragous, shame Jones blazed it over the bar with a poor shot. 

A no look pass deserves a no look shot.

His performance yesterday tells me that he's an avid reader of this thread. That first half was exactly what admirers rave about and the second half was precisely what his detractors complain about. Fair play to him for being so considerate.

• Upvote 1

On 04/04/2022 at 23:36, lebron said:

Hell, I'll criticise him as much as the next guy. Watching that game back though, and focusing on his one big mistake rather than the countless positive contributions seems a pretty dull way of watching the game.

The only times I get angry or is close to a heart attack during a game are when Henderson does his sideways routine instead of seeking to take on a player or play a pass between the lines (or when he lofts a floater into nowhere). That is far more detrimental to our chance of winning games on a regular basis than the occasional mistake.

I do agree that in Sunday's game we need to be clinical though, but that goes for every position on the pitch. Put it this way, I'm much more worried that Mo's lack of composure/form will cost us on Sunday than Thiago's sloppiness.

Yet we still win almost all the games Henderson plays in. Henderson's 'safety first' approach allows other plays such as Thiago,Salah,Mane,etc,to have the luxury of those brain farts without too much to worry about.

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Should have been sent off and just as shit as the other two.

That's just plain wrong. I'd normally say football allows for differing opinions, but if you watch that game today with something resembling an open mind, there's just no way you can think that Thiago played as bad as Henddrson, nevermind Fabinho (who probably played his worst game for us)

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Negged, again for a fundamental lack of understanding of the game.

Just in from pubbing but my guess is he had the most touches in the side, most passes and won the ball more than anyone else in red.

Coming from you, I’ll take that as a compliment.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He knows exactly when to foul when we’re being countered - as early in the move as possible. His cynicism can be as critical as his passing. 

Yes.

After the second foul he should have walked for, he spread himself on the ground and took 30 seconds to get up feigning he had been fouled.

That’s a professional. I bet Busquets showed him that move when Spain are playing 5 a side.