You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know who we could sell him to and get back the 25mil now - and if we don't sell him this summer and things continue on as they have with his fitness we will have a 32 year old going into the last year of his deal next summer. That may not be unflushable but it certainly is not an envious position to be in.

Who said we want to sell him? Our manager hasn't tried to sell worse players with worse injury records, including players who play the same position as him.

I don't get the point of this discussion.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

There will be plenty of takers for him at 25 mil.

You're not serious, are you?

Yes I am. He is a great player but if this "mystery" injury has him unable to play for a couple months - and they have already said it will be a month before anything is done - then I am not so sure you are right. He is on a fair whack - not alot of clubs around who fit the profile of having the luxury to carry him in the squad playing 25 games a season. 

The others you mentioned we have been unable to sell - this summer we will see with Keita. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The others you mentioned we have been unable to sell - this summer we will see with Keita. 

No. We haven't tried to sell.

Again, I don't know what the point of this is.

Thiago will be here as long as Klopp is, and at least until his contract us up.

41 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think we could sell him this summer?

Maybe. Xavi supposedly loves him and if they can afford to sign feran Torres for 55m, perhaps they can muster whatever we want. Plus there's every chance coutinho ends up at villa (or Newcastle), so they'd probably free up his wages, bring in Thiago and have a few quid left over. And of course we will have amortised half of thiagos fee by then (and I'm sure we'd always planned to take that full hit with no resale value because of his age), so we might consider 10-15m plus clearing 10m a year off the wage bill as a good outcome. 

Obviously Chamberlain and keita should be at the front of the queue to leave, but it doesn't mean there'll be buyers. 

Klopp has denied the rumours that he is out for the season,

"No. Neither March nor end of season is in my mind," Klopp said when asked if the midfielder will miss the rest of the campaign.

"It is something around the hip," he added. "That is the situation he needs time. He did not train this week but we expect him to start rehab from Monday. It is not the case that he is out until the end of season."

Jurgen Klopp denies Liverpool's Thiago Alcantara will miss (sportsmole.co.uk)

Very good player, but we need to cut our losses and move him on rather than getting shafted by his unavailability yet again next season.

We needed him badly against Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea when our league challenge was on the line. The exact same thing will happen again shortly after he returns, as that’s been his career with us to date. 

We can't sell Thiago, we have far greater problems than him, even just in the midfield. 

He's one of the few players who transcend Klopp's style. He might be injured too often, but we need his raw talent. What's happening with Milner and Henderson right now is what happens when two decent footballers who were propped up by Klopp's genius now are on the decline. It's ugly. We can barely get a win with those two in midfield. We have to persevere with Thiago. It's not possible to replace so many midfielders at the same time, and Milner, Ox and Keita have to be dealt with first. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We can't sell Thiago, we have far greater problems than him, even just in the midfield. 

He's one of the few players who transcend Klopp's style. He might be injured too often, but we need his raw talent. What's happening with Milner and Henderson right now is what happens when two decent footballers who were propped up by Klopp's genius now are on the decline. It's ugly. We can barely get a win with those two in midfield. We have to persevere with Thiago. It's not possible to replace so many midfielders at the same time, and Milner, Ox and Keita have to be dealt with first

Agree with this. Even if Henderson is currently pushing hard to get his name on that list.

On 14/01/2022 at 15:37, 3 Stacks said:

He's one of the few players who transcend Klopp's style. He might be injured too often, but we need his raw talent. What's happening with Milner and Henderson right now is what happens when two decent footballers who were propped up by Klopp's genius now are on the decline. It's ugly. We can barely get a win with those two in midfield. We have to persevere with Thiago. It's not possible to replace so many midfielders at the same time, and Milner, Ox and Keita have to be dealt with first. 

For my money 1 out and 1 in in Jan then 1 maybe 2 out and 1 in in summer would do it for me.

On 14/01/2022 at 16:29, El Rojo said:

Very good player, but we need to cut our losses and move him on rather than getting shafted by his unavailability yet again next season.

We needed him badly against Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea when our league challenge was on the line. The exact same thing will happen again shortly after he returns, as that’s been his career with us to date. 

What losses?

Thiago is pure quality. Our season depend on him being fit as soon as possible.

With that said; I am beginning to despice those players who are regularly out of play with «mystic injuries». A bunch of girls. We even had one of our midfielders out of play for a few games with a sore neck after a plane trip. Try telling that to Souness, McMahon or Steven G (or….ehhhhmm..Gini).

3 hours ago, Judge said:

Thiago is pure quality. Our season depend on him being fit as soon as possible.

With that said; I am beginning to despice those players who are regularly out of play with «mystic injuries». A bunch of girls. We even had one of our midfielders out of play for a few games with a sore neck after a plane trip. Try telling that to Souness, McMahon or Steven G (or….ehhhhmm..Gini).

Wasn't keita out earlier this season for tripping on the grass? 

• 4 weeks later...

Oozed class last night. 

We’ve won every game he’s started this season and have only conceded 2 goals. 

We got results with him starting at the back end of last season. 

Our chances of catching City and winning the CL rely on his fitness record. If we can manage his minutes for the bigger / tougher looking games on the horizon (Inter / Chelsea etc) and through to the end of the season, we’re gonna have a fucking great party in May. 

I know it’s fashionable on here to mock him and his injury record is frustrating, but he’s absolutely quality and results show it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I dont think I've ever seen such basic football moves look so aesthetically pleasing. The man is precise and elegant with it, the way Zidane was when running with the ball he is with controlling it and moving it on. I'd loved to of had him in the side from a younger age, just wish he'd could stay injury free a bit more.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Oozed class last night. 

We’ve won every game he’s started this season and have only conceded 2 goals. 

We got results with him starting at the back end of last season. 

Our chances of catching City and winning the CL rely on his fitness record. If we can manage his minutes for the bigger / tougher looking games on the horizon (Inter / Chelsea etc) and through to the end of the season, we’re gonna have a fucking great party in May. 

I know it’s fashionable on here to mock him and his injury record is frustrating, but he’s absolutely quality and results show it. 

Its impossible to seperate him and his injury record though. Its pointless pinning your hopes on a player if he's only playing once or twice,at best,a month. Nobody doubts his ability but we do doubt his fitness.

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its impossible to seperate him and his injury record though. Its pointless pinning your hopes on a player if he's only playing once or twice,at best,a month. Nobody doubts his ability but we do doubt his fitness.

We need to manage his minutes and training. 

IMO, he should be more or less the first name on the team sheet v Inter & Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He looks immense alongside Fabinho. My main criticism of him has been when there's no Fab, and he pisses about near our own box.

If he stays fit, and so does Fabinho, we can manage games so much better.

Saw a stat saying when the two have started together we’ve won 17 (I think) and drawn 1. It was on Twitter so may be bogus.