You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Wijnaldum was good obviously but had the easiest job out of anybody. Rarely passed it forward or long, rarely had to win the ball back, rarely had to be creative or go into the box. His whole job was just to know where to be positioned, run a lot and not give the ball away. All important stuff but he became the hipster favourite because "smart supporters can tell how important he is" and "he's a glue guy" etc... The best thing about him really was that he was always available, which is great. His job wasn't that hard, though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wijnaldum was good obviously but had the easiest job out of anybody. Rarely passed it forward or long, rarely had to win the ball back, rarely had to be creative or go into the box. His whole job was just to know where to be positioned, run a lot and not give the ball away. All important stuff but he became the hipster favourite because "smart supporters can tell how important he is" and "he's a glue guy" etc... The best thing about him really was that he was always available, which is great. His job wasn't that hard, though. 

Thiago is the "hipster favourite". The hipsters made out he was unbelievable before he arrived. Keita was a hipster favourite as well. And yet, when needed, it was Gini, Fabinho, Henderson and Milner that delivered the goods. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Thiago is the "hipster favourite". The hipsters made out he was unbelievable before he arrived. Keita was a hipster favourite as well. And yet, when needed, it was Gini, Fabinho, Henderson and Milner that delivered the goods. 

Thiago is several levels above Keita. He carried our midfield singlehandedly, when Fabinho was in an abysmal form. I don’t think anyone can make a serious argument against that. 

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

So much wrong in one big paragraph. 

13 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Thiago & Fabinho are the first two midfielders on the team sheet if fit imo.  At present Henderson is the 3rd but it would be nice to have the option of someone with more attacking thrust and ability to dribble past players.  Both Ox & Keita have the potential/ability to be that player but for varying reasons neither seems to be able to sustain fitness and/or form to be that player

But the reason Klopp chooses the more 'functional' options is simply that the way we play leaves the flair and creativity almost fully in the hands of our front three. Our style of play is high risk,high octane and this means we can't have too many flair players who don't put the workrate into their game. It's how we won the League and CL and wont change now. But for it to work best in the longer term,in my view,means a regular foray into the transfer market and this is where we fall short of reaching our full potential. Klopp no doubt understands this but he must get frustrated regularly though.

39 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But the reason Klopp chooses the more 'functional' options is simply that the way we play leaves the flair and creativity almost fully in the hands of our front three. Our style of play is high risk,high octane and this means we can't have too many flair players who don't put the workrate into their game. It's how we won the League and CL and wont change now. But for it to work best in the longer term,in my view,means a regular foray into the transfer market and this is where we fall short of reaching our full potential. Klopp no doubt understands this but he must get frustrated regularly though.

When Fabinho is fit,  he plays.  When Thiago is fit, he plays.  I dare say when Elliot is fit, he plays.  Perfect balance of shielders, ball winners, ball retention and creativity.  

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I at least half agree with your points. You definately can’t have flair players not contributing defensively if you want to be a top team these days.

But I’d argue that you also can’t have players without creativity, attacking qualities and contribution to that part of the game. Maybe you can afford one, but ideally you need attacking contributions from all 11, yes I include the goalkeeper in that.

29 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I at least half agree with your points. You definately can’t have flair players not contributing defensively if you want to be a top team these days.

But I’d argue that you also can’t have players without creativity, attacking qualities and contribution to that part of the game. Maybe you can afford one, but ideally you need attacking contributions from all 11, yes I include the goalkeeper in that.

We pretty much are agreeing here. Klopp wanted more flair and bought Thiago but obviously expected him to not have a case of 'the Sturridges.'

30 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Thiago wins the ball back far more often than Henderson, Ox and Milner.  I do think we overlook a lot of work that he does defensively.  

22 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Thiago wins the ball back far more often than Henderson, Ox and Milner.  I do think we overlook a lot of work that he does defensively.  

I am aware of Thiagos defensive contributions, and have pointed this out numerous times on here. Thiago also wins a lot of headers, which for some strange reason seems not to be in Hendersons toolbox. He did ok in the air the few games he played at CB, but in midfield he seems to prefer to back off and wait for the second ball rather than challenge. Aggression is very important in football, and definately in our counter pressing style it’s vital. 

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

While I have no stats to back me up I'd say others like Fabinho win the ball back but then give it to Thiago to start the attacking phase. All a bit moot when he's in the physio's room though.

10 hours ago, Boss said:

Thiago visibly played great in a Champions League winning side a couple months before he signed, it wasn't "hipster" to rate that player at all. Agreed with Keita. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago played great in a Champions League winning side a couple months before he signed, it's not "hipster" to rate that player at all. Agreed with Keita. 

I prefer to judge a player on what he does for us. I don't like the way people disrespect Gini on here to praise Thiago. Gini created the comeback against Barcelona. We amassed 97 and 99 points respectively with Gini in our midfield. Until Thiago does that, then he doesn't deserve to be compared to Gini. 

Have we won every game this season Thiago has started? 

I’m confident of us beating any team, any where, if Hendo-Fab-Thiago start.

I think I said on here a few weeks ago (or I certainly said it to my mates) that how close we go to winning the league will depend on his fitness. 

Maybe it’s me trying to fit a narrative but it’s no surprise to me, we haven’t won the last 2 when he’s been absent. I’m sure we wouldn’t have seen such a half arsed attacking display had he played Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1