You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

21 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

He would have to adapt to our current style however the reason I so keen on him is that we need to be realistic for the future. We will never have a front three like we currently have in terms of meshing their talents together so let's enjoy that for next two to three years. Buying Havertz (to me) is a signal that we will change the way we play to accommodate him and his talents. As aRdja has pointed out he can play as no 9 and even as a midfielder he making runs and spending large majority of his time in really offensive positions . Currently we leave the mayhem and scoring to our front three so options in our current squad would be Bobby's kick up the backside or bit like what Keita should be bringing to our midfield . Personally I would give Naby up for Havertz in current squad knowing he can be an able stand-in when Bobby not firing. I have seen this lad in the flesh and I know I have a slight tendancy to favour skillful players (Molby esqe) but this lad has it all . If the Euros had this year he would be starting for Germany . 

Good post, thanks! Do you also think he could play our pressing game, or would we have to change things around. I reckon Klopp could do both, but would rather get a player suited to the system than adapt the system to a really good player.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Quite ironic that people are talking about jettisoning Keita just as he's featuring more regularly in the first eleven. It seems that Klopp likes Keita and my guess is he has no plans to get rid of him.

Yep. Playing well since restart too. Hopefully this is the real start of Naby's Liverpool career and he continues to stay fit & healthy and playing as well as he has been.

That said, I'd love to see us sign Havertz, though I don't expect it to happen unfortunately, and certainly not this summer anyway. If he doesn't end up at Chelsea this summer as is being hinted at, then he'll be at Bayern the season after next.

If we accept that Havertz is off the board, then Thiago plus a.n.other signing would be nice. I've mentioned before that I would like us to sign a different kind of striker to Bobby, and Divock to a lesser degree. That striker being Wout Weghorst at Wolfsburg.

More of a target man than Bobby/Divock, but very capable in the pressing side of the game too. Scored plenty of goals for Wolfsburg and AZ before that. Dutch international so would know Virgil and Gini, which should help him settle quicker, plus he's on record as saying he'd run through walls to play for Liverpool.

Talking of AZ, I wonder if we've been scouting a couple of their young upcoming stars in Calvin Stengs and Myron Boadu? Both coming off a good season for AZ.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

We won’t win anything if Hendo/Gini play more than 5 games at CB. Fabinho at least looked capable from the short time he started there a couple of seasons ago. 

Well the hope would be they wouldn't play any games there. I think fabinho would be the 1st option. But I'd also think depending on the game klopp might give one of the youngsters a go. 

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Quite ironic that people are talking about jettisoning Keita just as he's featuring more regularly in the first eleven. It seems that Klopp likes Keita and my guess is he has no plans to get rid of him.

100% keita is staying and I suspect in our best XI klopp will be aiming to get him in ahead of Gini. 

Has anyone seen Thiago do anything except dink a few balls and spray 50 yard passes?  Because that's sort of what all our midfield 3 currently already do. 

I like watching him, very pleasing on the eye, but can't quite see the magic ingredient he would bring to the party, other than perhaps being another body in the middle post-Lallana, and mitigation for injury. 

Perhaps his biggest asset therefore is that bringing him in doesn't change anything, no need to change anything to accommodate him. 

It just seems to make little sense in terms of being a barrier to Jones and Elliott to break through.  Elliott is more than just a youth player, his involvement on the bench regularly is no accident, he's hugely regarded. 

32 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

striker being Wout Weghorst at Wolfsburg.

More of a target man than Bobby/Divock, but very capable in the pressing side of the game too. Scored plenty of goals for Wolfsburg and AZ before that. Dutch international so would know Virgil and Gini, which should help him settle quicker, plus he's on record as saying he'd run through walls to play for Liverpool.

Being linked with Arsenal these days... I agree with you, he's a good player and would offer something different to our attack. Though I also thought Haller was a very good signing for WHU

10 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Being linked with Arsenal these days... I agree with you, he's a good player and would offer something different to our attack. Though I also thought Haller was a very good signing for WHU

Weghorst has a much greater work ethic than Haller did/does. In a side built to service Haller, he'll score goals, but when he's asked to do work, he goes missing. Weghorst will score goals in any side as he puts in a shift.

Weghorst is far from the most spectacular player you'll ever see, but from what I've seen of him, he leaves it all out on the field every game.

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Good post, thanks! Do you also think he could play our pressing game, or would we have to change things around. I reckon Klopp could do both, but would rather get a player suited to the system than adapt the system to a really good player.

Feeling I have is that we would have to change for him. However since this is the Thiago thread and he doesn't seem to be a pressing type player there seemingly is some interest in footballing talent alone. Keita and Bobby offer both pressing/ability in different positions and probably fit Klopp's current template better than Havertz and Alcantara. 

20 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Has anyone seen Thiago do anything except dink a few balls and spray 50 yard passes?  Because that's sort of what all our midfield 3 currently already do. 

I like watching him, very pleasing on the eye, but can't quite see the magic ingredient he would bring to the party, other than perhaps being another body in the middle post-Lallana, and mitigation for injury. 

Perhaps his biggest asset therefore is that bringing him in doesn't change anything, no need to change anything to accommodate him. 

It just seems to make little sense in terms of being a barrier to Jones and Elliott to break through.  Elliott is more than just a youth player, his involvement on the bench regularly is no accident, he's hugely regarded. 

Can't see Harvey playing as deep in midfield as Thiago would. Certainly not for a good 10 years or so.

The biggest compliment I could give Thiago is that he has the same level of composure and confidence on the ball as Xabi did for us. There's an arrogance about him that separates his ability on the ball from others we have in midfield currently.

I can certainly see the appeal in signing Thiago, but I also understand some of the doubts some people have.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Elliot is a candidate for the front 3 isn't he? I don't recall him playing anywhere but salah's position. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He’s an elite dribbler Thiago. One of the best (if not the very best) CMs I’ve seen in my lifetime at keeping the ball.

19 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s an elite dribbler Thiago. One of the best (if not the very best) CMs I’ve seen in my lifetime at keeping the ball.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ymjh3r85za67ruxhyp

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ymjh3r85za67ruxhyp

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4759282966fc877a3cbf

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What? He's one of the most gifted midfielders in the world. He'd bring just about every attribute you'd want a central midfielder to have, notably world class technical ability. 

On 25/07/2020 at 11:25, The Gaul said:

Elliot is a candidate for the front 3 isn't he? I don't recall him playing anywhere but salah's position. 

My big worry about him is that he just hasn't got the pace for that position. In terms of playing style, if not ability, he reminds me of a al eft footed Beckham.