You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

I think because he’s still been in midfield people aren’t recognising he’s been played out of position. Fabinho in that position gives away clever fouls before things can develop for the opposition, and makes it look less like a booking waiting to happen. Also he can tackle, read the defensive side of the game better.

Fab being centre back or injured means Thiago has been asked to cover that role a lot, with instructions to disrupt play. He’s just not that good at it. Also the pace of the game has caught him out, but that will come in time. Long term injuries/ catching COVID/ crisis period can’t just be discounted. 

I think he's still adjusting to the way we press which is not surprising as usually Jurgen seems to want to give a player months before he throws him in. We close space then hurtle in at full pace as a unit when there's a chance to really put pressure on and the last bit is where he's been struggling with his timing. In the early games he was arriving a bit late then committing a foul rather than being beaten but the foul count seems to be decreasing over the last few games so hopefully he's settling into the system. 

I think he'll come good next season. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You said you'd never seen Thiago win the ball back once, meanwhile he's statistically the most frequent ball winner in our midfield. So yeah, if you're too lazy to even look that up and also say he can't cover ground when he and Kimmich did so at a world class level in the Champions League last season and just want to talk baseless nonsense, then yeah, we have nothing to talk about. 

Also yes, Gini's role is essentially to keep the ball and run. He doesn't tackle, doesn't pass it forward much, doesn't score or assist much. Sorry, that's just what it is. 

Unbelievable how much of the criticism, if that’s the right word, of Thiago that is simply factually incorrect. This is one of many examples.

It’s like saying Usain Bolt was a slow fucker at 100 meters. Fuck the stats, my eyes told me he was in fact slow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, A Red said:

I thought he was excellent last night, probably his best game for us. I love watching him play.

Agreed. Not as silky as his Chelsea or Newcastle cameos, but still put in a great shift and kept the ball moving. 

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Agreed. Not as silky as his Chelsea or Newcastle cameos, but still put in a great shift and kept the ball moving

This is the thing for me, he helped us pass quickly and at pace and isnt afraid to move the ball forwards rather than sideways. 

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

This is the thing for me, he helped us pass quickly and at pace and isnt afraid to move the ball forwards rather than sideways. 

He’s a player who has lots of the ball but doesn’t have lots of the ball, if that makes sense.

He gets the ball often but he pops it off first time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KevieG said:

Thiago Fab Hendo is going to be quality. As will be Jota, Salah, Mane. 

Those 6 on the field together could see us do something great yet this season. 

Fucking hell.

Has that even happened yet?

Add VVD and Matip (no laughing at the back) behind them too!

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Fucking hell.

Has that even happened yet?

Add VVD and Matip (no laughing at the back) behind them too!

No.

Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson have started just one game together in midfield, the derby when Thiago and Van Dijk got injured. 

Van Dijk - Matip lasted 11 minutes. 

Jota was on the bench. 

12 minutes ago, Code said:

No.

Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson have started just one game together in midfield, the derby when Thiago and Van Dijk got injured. 

Van Dijk - Matip lasted 11 minutes. 

Jota was on the bench. 

Matip is a complete write off and Henderson is quickly becoming a crock

33 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Matip is a complete write off and Henderson is quickly becoming a crock

Henderson has had regular injury issues since that heel problem under Rodgers, but despite that we normally get about 30-40 games a season out of him. He seems to get 1 or 2 injuries a season that are 6 weeks or more. 

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Over the last six seasons he has averaged just over 1900 minutes in the league - that is @ 21 games worth.

I had a quick glance in all comps and with Europe too he was hitting the number I was mentioning. Through a period of about 2 years klopp was very much managing his minutes to the point he'd almost lost his place with the success of fabinho in the 6 role until he asked klopp to consider him further forward. There's no doubt he's got injury issues and the fact his injuries often seem big adds to that for me, but he's not quite in the matip can't be relied on class yet. I do think we should be targeting someone to replace him as a regular though, although that could very well be Curtis Jones. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Klopp might be looking at one of the young midfielders as a natural successor like Jake cain. I think we will see a few more years of his minuted being managed. Giving the youngsters the time to stake their claim or get in a long term replacement. 

I've often wondered if Trent could play another position. And maybe not the role Henderson plays, but if we end up in maybe a 4231 shape he can play the wide right or maybe even a 10 role. Some of his positional play, his short game and shooting is massively understimated or perhaps overshadowed by his crossing, he's a unbelievable footballer. In klopps world maybe he gets the most space in that right back birth, but I can't help but think there's another player we could find inside Trent if we asked him to do other things. I'd certainly be positive about the idea of buying a quality right back that would allow him to explore other positions. It's another reason I wouldn't mind us trying chamberlain at right back. The lad can't get on the pitch right now, maybe he could give us 20 matches a year at right back and allow Trent to explore more forward positions. 

I actually think Neco Williams is a really good understudy to trent, he had a few bad games when he came into the team earlier in the season but towards then end of the run of games he got he started producing what we knew he could, the Ox would be an interesting one in the sense of i think technically he could play there but could his body stand up to what Trent and Robertson do, they are up and down all game sprinting, it takes a hell of an athlete to do what they do.