You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The three of the were perfectly suited to our system last season. 

Our system doesn't work as well without VVD in it, and to a lesser extent Gomez though. If we had Lovren and Matip in our team this season and were able to play the same midfield three as last year, we'd still have a lot of the same problems that we currently have.  

Most of agree about centre halves and impact has had on our whole structure and style....i've been vocal about ut myself and how it has impacted us in so many ways.

A lot of people who seem to be  back tracking about what type of midfielder he supposed to be. One minute he's a 6, then next he's really an 8, and today someone was saying he's not playing in his correct position. 

His lack of mobility is shocking. I wasn't expecting him to be Steven Gerrard, but Alonso was probably less mobile than him but his positioning was exceptional and was rarely found to be all at sea when we didn't have the ball.

His passing too hasn't been all that either. And let's not mention his tackling. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, KevieG said:

The midfield of Gini, Thiago and Curtis were at least breaking even, if not shading it, against the midfield that never gives anyone a kick. 

That sense of control disappeared after the subs. But this game was all on Alisson

Alisson has been a bit odd the past few games as in coming out of area needlessly and yes the loss was down to him unfortunately but this kind of shit happens and I wouldn't dwell on it, obviously a goalies mistake is there for all to see as opposed to other players. 

I thought the defence was OK too early on in the game when City had the more possession, then we  got into it and after the equaliser I thought we can go and win this in what was a more or less evenly matched contest all considered. 

I would also like to give Sterling a combination. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Alisson has been a bit odd the past few games as in coming out of area needlessly and yes the loss was down to him unfortunately but this kind of shit happens and I wouldn't dwell on it, obviously a goalies mistake is there for all to see as opposed to other players. 

I thought the defence was OK too early on in the game when City had the more possession, then we  got into it and after the equaliser I thought we can go and win this in what was a more or less evenly matched contest all considered. 

I would also like to give Sterling a combination. 

Yep agree. It was a game that swung around a bit. They got their pen when we finally seemed to be getting on top. I dont know how that tit Doyle on the Echo blames Alli for the first goal, he did brilliantly to block Foden's(?) shot but Gun Dog One was left unmarked for the tap in. That could have happened even if van Dijk, Matip or Gomez had been on the pitch.

Mo's pen got us back into the game and we seemed to be gaining the upper hand again when Alli gives them 2 goals in a couple of minutes. There was little hope of a way back after that.

And Foden's goal just re emphasised what Ive been saying about us, we dont take enough shots on goal. Foden bought a ticket in the raffle and the rest is as they say.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually amazed how many people think he's done well.

Since he became a regular feature in the team, we've been absolutely awful. Clearly he's not the only reason for that. But you might expect a world class player to have contributed something positive by this stage. Apart from idiotic fouls.

Lovely footballer he certainly is. But zero goals and assists, I think? And a decent foul and yellow card return? 

• Upvote 2

He's clearly an outstanding player. He showed that at Barca and Bayern, he's shown the odd glimpse here but overall he's been disappointing for us so far. I'm convinced he'd be doing far better with Fabinho and Hendo alongside him but I doubt we'll get to see the three of them play together in midfield this season the way things are going.

He's come in during a difficult period, he hasn't had the luxury of slowly bedding himself in either, so I don't think he can be judged too harshly at this stage. He's not the reason for our form, he's a victim of it. 

Saying that, I don't think he's been great overall. He's just been sort of meh. Doesn't really contribute much going forward and looks suspect defensively. Couple of flashes of what he might be able to do. 

The yellow cards are an issue for me, I honestly thought he was going to get sent off today, there were a couple of times they broke in the first half and he looked like he could easily have clipped the player, probably accidentally. 

Could be next season before we see the best of him. 

Im baffled so many seem to think he's our problem.

It's not like he's giving the ball away. He's more accurate with his passing and quicker than Gini and Millie. Yeah, his tackling is shite. He's picking up yellow cards a little too frequently but I think a player needs 10 at this stage of the season to get suspended?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I thought he was fine. The midfield was good. Certainly not on him or any of the others that we lost this game.

Agree, Thiago played well. Not great but a decent game from a top player. 

Other individuals played well also, and looking past the result the team performance today wasn’t all bad. Some shocking mistakes of course, that you can’t make against that lot. They are a brilliant team on a very good run, and under the current circumstances we need both to be at our best and a bit of luck to beat them.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im baffled so many seem to think he's our problem.

It's not like he's giving the ball away. He's more accurate with his passing and quicker than Gini and Millie. Yeah, his tackling is shite. He's picking up yellow cards a little too frequently but I think a player needs 10 at this stage of the season to get suspended?

Seems pretty obvious that he's deliberately trying to get suspended because he fancies a week off 

30 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I'm actually amazed how many people think he's done well.

Since he became a regular feature in the team, we've been absolutely awful. Clearly he's not the only reason for that. But you might expect a world class player to have contributed something positive by this stage. Apart from idiotic fouls.

Lovely footballer he certainly is. But zero goals and assists, I think? And a decent foul and yellow card return? 

We weren’t awful before he went off today. And we weren’t awful against Spurs or West Ham. We were awful against Brighton, like we have been against many of the weaker teams this season, with and without Thiago in the team.

Thought he was very “meh” today. Hardly had a kick. When he had it he played a few decent passes but also gave it away as well, pretty standard stuff.

Time will tell on how he does for us but i’m genuinely not too worried about him in the sense that I think he’s some kind of major problem.

It might end up being a case that he’s a very good player who just doesn’t suit our style, or the league or whatever, I don’t know.

I suspect it’s more a case that the circumstances have impacted him as much as anyone (COVID, injury, players out of position etc).

Some people seem to think he’s a major reason for our slump whereas I think our midfield is doing alright. The problem is further up the pitch.

• Upvote 1

Our forwards are hardly getting the ball.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mane had the fewest touches of his Liverpool career today, Salah not much more and Firmino the less said the better.  They used to create chances for themselves and each other when we played more direct and the counter press, but for at least the last 18 months they've been much more reliant on the midfield doing their job to allow the full backs to contribute to the attack.  That's gone.  No one is doing their job, Thiago included.

Gotta admit I was made up when we got him here but lately he’s looking more and more like a vanity purchase for Klopp by the board.

Cant see what he brings to the team at the minute. I was hoping he’d have been firing balls down the channels for mo and Sadio to run onto and get a shot off but all we’re getting is a 10 yard pass here and there that anyone at this level can play. 

`Im more worried he’ll get a 2nd yellow card than I have hope of him creating anything at the minute. 

We’re definitely not getting not best out of each other here. 

3 hours ago, ManéMan said:

A lot of people who seem to be  back tracking about what type of midfielder he supposed to be. One minute he's a 6, then next he's really an 8, and today someone was saying he's not playing in his correct position. 

His lack of mobility is shocking. I wasn't expecting him to be Steven Gerrard, but Alonso was probably less mobile than him but his positioning was exceptional and was rarely found to be all at sea when we didn't have the ball.

His passing too hasn't been all that either. And let's not mention his tackling. 

The thing about Hendo and Fab in midfield is their ability to track back and support the defenders, or even intercept themselves; it’s not just their ability with the ball going forward.