You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

come on, you know all our players are already on the max and as it's the end of the season, klopp is running low on stocks before he goes back to germany to stock up. 

Yeah sorry mate I forgot, Monster and a Mars Bar will have to do.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah I heard that on the Blood Red podcast. He also said that if he's 50/50 then he'll play as it's the European cup final! 

That was my thoughts, just give the lads carrying injuries some painkillers and let them crack on. Last game of the season, no international tournaments through the summer, so anything they aggravate won't matter because they have plenty of time to recover.

Just now, Mil-ing Around said:

I feel like he's vital for this game. It's Thiago vs Modric. Our play maker against theirs, we really need him. I think Klopp takes the risk because we have 5 subs. If it was a 3 sub match i doubt he'd even consider it. 

That sounds like panic to me. Both teams are more than capable of winning the match without controling the midfield. If we lose control of the midfield, it will allow us the space to get our quick forwards into the space behind them. And if thiago plays and we dominate midfield Madrid have got fucked in with midfield against psg, Chelsea and city, yet they knocked all 3 out. This game will be won and lost in each penalty area. 

21 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I feel like he's vital for this game. It's Thiago vs Modric. Our play maker against theirs, we really need him. I think Klopp takes the risk because we have 5 subs. If it was a 3 sub match i doubt he'd even consider it. 

Nothing worse than forcing a player into a line up and seeing them trudge off in the first half.

38 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That sounds like panic to me. Both teams are more than capable of winning the match without controling the midfield. If we lose control of the midfield, it will allow us the space to get our quick forwards into the space behind them. And if thiago plays and we dominate midfield Madrid have got fucked in with midfield against psg, Chelsea and city, yet they knocked all 3 out. This game will be won and lost in each penalty area. 

I hear what your saying, but Modric is absolutely vital for them. He makes them tick, receives the ball in tight spaces and never loses it. We have never got close to him in the 3 games we've played them in the last few years. I doubt we can stop him doing his thing in midfield, we couldn't manage it with Henderson and Gini in their peak. So i feel like when we have the ball we are going to need to fight fire with fire. Without Thiago, i can't see Henderson, Fabinho and Kieta (or Milner) being progressive enough and good enough under pressure from Kroos and Casemiro. 

If we can gain any advantage in midfield, with the ball, we have the forwards to destroy them. Without Thiago that's going to be really tough. 

EDIT: Just seen these message below. Get the fuck in! Huge news

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I hear what your saying, but Modric is absolutely vital for them. He makes them tick, receives the ball in tight spaces and never loses it. We have never got close to him in the 3 games we've played them in the last few years. I doubt we can stop him doing his thing in midfield, we couldn't manage it with Henderson and Gini in their peak. So i feel like when we have the ball we are going to need to fight fire with fire. Without Thiago, i can't see Henderson, Fabinho and Kieta (or Milner) being progressive enough and good enough under pressure from Kroos and Casemiro. 

If we can gain any advantage in midfield, with the ball, we have the forwards to destroy them. Without Thiago that's going to be really tough. 

EDIT: Just seen these message below. Get the fuck in! Huge news

I just think we will go longer if they're better in midfield. VVD will just take over and we'll hit our front men and trent. And as for stopping modric, we probably won't regardless of which of our midfielders play. He's a good player and you can't stop everything. But it's not a one man sport, it's a team game, so it's a question of what we do when he releases the ball. For instance thiago started on Sunday, it didn't stop wolves creating multiple chances through the 1st half. That wasn't specifically thiago's fault, we defended poorly as a unit. If we do that again on Saturday, we're fucked. What we need to do on Saturday is ensure we're as solid and in control as we can be without the ball and when we have it, we need to be less wasteful as we have over the last few weeks of the season. And that's not just the forwards. It's the final balls into the box when teams are open. It's being ruthless on set pieces when we have good aerial chances. We've dropped off significantly lately in those situations - in fact probably since the 2nd half of the city cup semi final. Getting to our best in their box is the most important thing we can do on Saturday.