You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Yeah, that was just a flawless midfield performance. Best I've seen a central midfielder play for us if you don't take the opposition (which admittedly was shite) into account. Remember that Xabi passing masterclass video from a game against Norwich in his debut season? This was like that, only with the pressing, defensive dominance added on top.

You can only beat what's infront of you, and boy did he beat up on that sorry Utd midfield today.

I'll add that he had able deputies in the first half in both Fabinho and Henderson, although both (especially Hendo) seemed to run out of steam and ideas in the 2nd half.

6 hours ago, DJLJ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/apr/19/thiago-orchestrates-liverpools-humiliation-of-manchester-united

says 

He would also hobble off nursing what appeared a tight left hamstring”

no idea how accurate that is. 

He grabbed at his left hamstring (general area anyway) a few times before he was subbed but he played on for a bit (I'd say about 8 minutes or so) after that and moved just fine and didn't appear to be in any pain walking off the pitch or after the game nor was it mentioned in any interviews that I've seen. According to the commentary here he was also telling Klopp he wanted to stay on before the board came up.

6 hours ago, DJLJ said:

Lots of stats in this, from about the 10:30 mark to the 15:30 mark or so. Thiago had a 96% passing rate, of an attempted 129 passes during the game. Highest amount of passes in the game.

Didn't he gave the record for number of passes in a game at Bayern until Xabi broke it? 

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was superb and the balance of the midfield three was spot on. Henderson worked his socks off and Fabinho did a great job. Just a shame that we wont always have this balance every game.

I think Keita and Henderson are interchangeable, albeit Keita brings more to the team imo.  Thiago and Fabinho are the key players in our midfield. They’re the players who win the ball, stop the opponents progressing, and make things happen going forward.

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I think Keita and Henderson are interchangeable, albeit Keita brings more to the team imo.  Thiago and Fabinho are the key players in our midfield. They’re the players who win the ball, stop the opponents progressing, and make things happen going forward.

Keita is too undisciplined for me,but has the legs over Henderson. When I mean undisciplined I don't really mean the stupid tackle from last night but the,at times,poor positioning and running down blind alleys. Henderson is superb in covering our wider players when they bomb on and why his work largely goes unnoticed. Last night had a perfect balance as it allowed a symmetry to how our midfield functioned and supported both defence and attack. That midfield last night is our best when all are fit.

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Keita is too undisciplined for me,but has the legs over Henderson. When I mean undisciplined I don't really mean the stupid tackle from last night but the,at times,poor positioning and running down blind alleys. Henderson is superb in covering our wider players when they bomb on and why his work largely goes unnoticed. Last night had a perfect balance as it allowed a symmetry to how our midfield functioned and supported both defence and attack. That midfield last night is our best when all are fit.

I think we'll definitely need to agree to disagree re Henderson and Thiago.  Let's just talk about Fabinho.  I think we can agree he's getting back to something approaching his best for us - he's looking mobile and energetic again.  

57 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Yep if we want to reinforce midfield then we need back up for those two, or understudies. 

I'd have Wijnaldum back for a start.  

29 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think we'll definitely need to agree to disagree re Henderson and Thiago.  Let's just talk about Fabinho.  I think we can agree he's getting back to something approaching his best for us - he's looking mobile and energetic again.  

What’s there to disagree regarding Thiago? I honestly don’t get it. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

What’s there to disagree regarding Thiago? I honestly don’t get it. 

despite being our most important player in the midfield, winning more tackles and making more passes, retaining possession and driving the team forward more than anyone else, some see him as a luxury player.  A luxury player to me is one who contributes little and watches the opposition play around him without threatening to win the ball back.

14 minutes ago, stringvest said:

despite being our most important player in the midfield, winning more tackles and making more passes, retaining possession and driving the team forward more than anyone else, some see him as a luxury player.  A luxury player to me is one who contributes little and watches the opposition play around him without threatening to win the ball back.

Agreed. 

Luxury players are people like Pogba and Ozil, Thiago is arguably our most important midfielder. 

He was phenomenal last night, as good a performance as I've ever seen from a Liverpool midfielder.