You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No I'm not. You are giddy for him but he's not featured enough to be considered as 'great' as you say he is. Fabinho is the key,if he is off the team is off,like last Sunday. Thiago is an embellishment,a very good one at that.

Sorry Vlad, but this is pure nonsense.

Edit: I acknowledge you have your views on Fabinho being key to our team. I actually agree. But that using that to talk down the performances and quality of Thiago is imo nonsense.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Sorry Vlad, but this is pure nonsense.

Edit: I acknowledge you have your views on Fabinho being key to our team. I actually agree. But that using that to talk down the performances and quality of Thiago is imo nonsense.

Wasting your time talking to Vlad on subjects like Thiago.  

13 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Well, because he's been good up until now, but not the God Stringy is constantly proclaiming him as after every game.

He's not a god, he's just the best midfielder we've had for ages.  I love a quality player, me, and I love watching Thiago.  And Fabinho, for that matter.  And increasingly, Keita.  And any other quality performance from any of the others.  Even though I think he's been largely poor for as couple of years, Firmino's second half performance the other night was genuinely enjoyable - it was a blast from the past.  And I've even complemented Henderson and the others when they've put in a good performance. 

He's so fluid, though he has the curse of looking shit if receiving players aren't on their game because he plays balls that require the receiver to be thinking positive, like he does.  So often he might pass to Henderson for example who then wastes the momentum of the move by passing backwards or chewing the ball.  People then decide Thiago didn't do much.  But he's a facilitator for good players, he's a top level cog, and yesterday he had people around him with the same mindset and concentration to keep the ball moving and advance.  

Someone like Thiago can't just go to Burnley and make them better.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The most worrying thing for me is we lost control the minute Thiago left the pitch despite having Fabinho and Hendo on the pitch. I hope we’re not becoming too reliant on him. 

It’s been the same all season.

50 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He had a good match on Saturday. Much easier when their best player is sitting on the bench like. 

What an absolutely fucking stupid comment.

Whats your excuse for him being our best player last Sunday when their best player actually played?  

Another topic in an increasingly long list of topics you’ve posted utter shite on. 

A little faith goes a long way. 

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The most worrying thing for me is we lost control the minute Thiago left the pitch despite having Fabinho and Hendo on the pitch. I hope we’re not becoming too reliant on him. 

I don't think it's just Thiago; midfield subs seem to disrupt us more than anything. For ages we had multiple water-carriers who could easily rotate, but now we're improving that area it's harder to get the balance right with changes. Henderson's responsibilities have altered too, due to Trent's underlapping position in-field.

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't think it's just Thiago; midfield subs seem to disrupt us more than anything. For ages we had multiple water-carriers who could easily rotate, but now we're improving that area it's harder to get the balance right with changes. Henderson's responsibilities have altered too, due to Trent's underlapping position in-field.

This is a great point. That's why it's important Jones and Elliott get the chance to prove themselves. The good thing is they have a few years to learn their trade because Thiago Hendo Fabinho ain't going anywhere.

Keita has also proved himself to be an important part of the squad this season.

18 minutes ago, m0e said:

This is a great point. That's why it's important Jones and Elliott get the chance to prove themselves. The good thing is they have a few years to learn their trade because Thiago Hendo Fabinho ain't going anywhere.

Keita has also proved himself to be an important part of the squad this season.

Keita has had a decent season, but his contract expires in a year, so it'll be interesting to see if he and the club are aligned on his worth this summer and if he continues to do it when he's not playing for a contract. 

Henderson I think has been in pretty disappointing form this calender year..he looks to me like we're nursing him through something. Hopefully after the summer he can be back to his best. It is another question mark for me though.

It's time for Jones to step up now too. He's 21 now, so his performances need to get more consistent at his best level. We know there's a massive talent in there, but he doesn't show it often enough imo.  (Edit ....I've just had a quick check on his appearances and he's over 70 now, so by the end of next season, he'll have cleared 100. I think he needs to show a consistent level before hitting 100 if he's to ever be more than a fringe player)

I think we have some work to do around the midfield. I would expect Chamberlain and milner to go this summer. It also gives us a problem that that is 2 homegrown players out of the door, so even though we can probably replace them with just 1 player, they almost certainly need to be home-grown unless we can do some magic elsewhere and get some homegrown players in. 

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see what we do in the summer, I think we might well have our eyes on Bellingham. It'll also be interesting to see what we do with Salah, Mane, and/or Bobby. I wouldn't be surprised if we got rid of one or two of them and went for somebody new, like Nkunku or somebody. It might just make sense to those with a more long term vision. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It'll be interesting to see what we do in the summer, I think we might well have our eyes on Bellingham. It'll also be interesting to see what we do with Salah, Mane, and/or Bobby. I wouldn't be surprised if we got rid of one or two of them and went for somebody new, like Nkunku or somebody. It might just make sense to those with a more long term vision. 

If reports are to be believed, we're supposedly looking to open contract talks with Sadio and looking to sign this Gavi 'wonder kid' from Barcelona.

Must admit, I was coming round to thinking the club may cash in on Sadio if Mo signs his bumper contract, maybe Bobby too?

15 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I think Bobby will go but Sadio stays.

I think he's absolutely the most likely to go. I wonder if we'll go for a unit up front. I'd rather enjoy Haaland from fantasy land, but back in the real world I guess we'd go for somebody like Nunez or maybe somebody we've never heard of that we can coach into a worldy. Whatever, I don't care anywhere near as much as I used to about transfers, they've clearly got it under control and whoever they chose will probably do more good than harm. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think he's absolutely the most likely to go. I wonder if we'll go for a unit up front. I'd rather enjoy Haaland from fantasy land, but back in the real world I guess we'd go for somebody like Nunez or maybe somebody we've never heard of that we can coach into a worldy. Whatever, I don't care anywhere near as much as I used to about transfers, they've clearly got it under control and whoever they chose will probably do more good than harm. 

There is also the possibility that Diaz has come in early as a replacement for Firmino or Mane (I assume Bobby). 

Personally, I love having 5 absolutely quality players up front but I’d be a little surprised if we signed somebody else. 

Where does Carvalho play? 

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

There is also the possibility that Diaz has come in early as a replacement for Firmino or Mane (I assume Bobby). 

Personally, I love having 5 absolutely quality players up front but I’d be a little surprised if we signed somebody else. 

Forgot about him. I’m thinking if Bobby goes we will want another proper central player, but maybe it’s Jota. Fuck knows. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Forgot about him. I’m thinking if Bobby goes we will want another proper central player, but maybe it’s Jota. Fuck knows. 

Mane is doing a great job there as well. 

If Bobby was to go, I'd love a replacement but I don't see it. We've already spent big on Diaz and midfield needs addressing first. 

EDIT - Actually, if Origi and Minamino both leave, maybe we will. Origi seems certain to sign for AC Milan and I've read we're happy to listen to offers for Minamino.

Mo is the one we don't have cover. Adeyami links have re-surfaced recently and he wouldn't be massively expensive.

I reckon Bobby is off and Carvalho will be the only replacement. Mane and Jota will be the main central striker next year. I think that would be fair enough.

That said, if Bobby was reasonable with his demands, I would be delighted to keep him as a squad player. He is a good sub as he provides something s bit different.

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He plays behind the CF in a 4231. My feeling is he will end up being used like Elliott, they are probably going to be competing for the same spot. Be interesting to see what Klopp does with Kaide Gordon next year as well - seems to rate him very highly.

• Upvote 1