You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

That might be true, because I think he's the most overrated player to ever play for us. So when he does play well, big fucking deal, you've earnt your 200k for once. But I'm the wrong one here? The lad passed the ball and the was a turn over of possession before we won the ball back and a great pull back from trent and Jota doing his stuff and we're supposed to think that's "creating" a goal? Honestly, it's fucking madness. 

No there wasn’t. There was a partial clearance, because we’d got round the back of them and they were scrambling, because of the first pass.

what went on to happen was a new phase of the same play. A phase on which Thiago wasn’t involved at all, but a phase that only exists because the first ball was so good.

Thiago together with Alisson was my MOTM. I don't understand the criticism to be honest of the defence. Our problem as it has been for much of the season is that our forwards cannot keep the ball or run past a defender anymore. Mane/Salah doesn't have the pace and lose almost all 1on1s. When you require a high defensive line as Klopp does it will make the defence look silly, when you constantly loose the ball, but it's not their fault. The second half got better, but compare our forwards with City, thats the issue. They can play football... Our forwards are better at pacy counterattack. Our defense and midfield are the reason we are doing so well this season. They are the spine. It's so weird listening to all the Trent criticism. He's required to go forward all the time, and when Salah can't trap the ball he will be out of position.

Our defense battled hard but got overrun, because of all the losses of possession. Sure - a world class KDB will hurt everyone. 

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both CB's were well off their best.

Off their best but still not that bad. I'm not having Thiago as MoM though as he wasnt much better than the other two.

You could argue that our CBs were not at the races because of how bad the players in front of them were so poor.

2 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Good player but seems massively overrated among Liverpool fans and pundits, etc. Half the matches he plays he's either creating chances for the opposition or nearly being sent off. 

Nearly but not quite getting sent off vs nearly but not quite putting a challenge in to win the ball back.  I guess you have to choose which of those you object to most.

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Nearly but not quite getting sent off vs nearly but not quite putting a challenge in to win the ball back.  I guess you have to choose which of those you object to most.

Doesn't always have to be either/or though. There's a constituency of us who appreciate what both Thiago and Henderson bring.

Henderson was always more about pressing or nicking the ball, he was never a tackler. He wasn't great yesterday, but neither was Fabinho. Thiago was better but he struggled at times too and if Rodri had escaped similar we'd have about five different threads on here on how he should have been sent off. Fabinho was lucky to stay on the pitch too. It's incredibly hard to play against that City midfield anyway so I wouldn't criticise any of them. 

With all the injuries he's sustained, I reckon Henderson is continually playing through a pain barrier now like Gerrard had to. That doesn't help either. 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

For me their second was more on Trent for not watching Jesus’ run.

Trent just stands there, not moving at all. Jesus runs at just the right time to get onto the pass and score a goal. Well worked but Trent has to track him when he runs in behind him.