You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

23 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

According to the FSG thread, anybody could have foreseen it because it was inevitable.

Heh Heh Heh - quality trolling. 

I notice that nobody is currently complaining about our squad depth. It’s almost as if you if you actually took the time to look at our squad on paper and not throw hissy fits looking at others we’re doing, we actually had a super strong squad all along…

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I notice that nobody is currently complaining about our squad depth. It’s almost as if you if you actually took the time to look at our squad on paper and not throw hissy fits looking at others we’re doing, we actually had a super strong squad all along…

I still maintain that if T-Rex had assaulted Robbo instead of Virg last year, that season would have seen us challenging for honours again.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I still maintain that if T-Rex had assaulted Robbo instead of Virg last year, that season would have seen us challenging for honours again.

Even if we’d have kept Lovren, we’d still have been short at centre back. It really was a freak occurrence. 

It was clear we wanted Konaté last January but RBL wouldn’t sell so we, collectively, decided to wait. 

Nobody could have foreseen the Anfield collapse, regardless of who at centre back. 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I've seen a few recent posts stating that our depth at right back and in midfield could be better & I would agree with them.

If the team are winning every week, we'll all be happy of course but all it takes is one or two knocks & some dropped points and this place will kick off again. Let's hope that does not happen.

20 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've seen a few recent posts stating that our depth at right back and in midfield could be better & I would agree with them.

If the team are winning every week, we'll all be happy of course but all it takes is one or two knocks & some dropped points and this place will kick off again. Let's hope that does not happen.

I would’ve kept hold of Neco personally. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mook said:

I agree we’re short at right back cover & midfield but when everybody is fit, there aren’t many better squads or first 11 in the world.

In fact, I’d say our first 11 is the best, so let’s hope we can rely on it being available more often than not until the end of the season. 

No squad is perfect. City miss a striker, Chelsea a centre back etc but what we have had all along was a squad capable of completing on all fronts. Diaz only makes that better. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

All it took was for us to sign one attacking player in January and we've gone from having bad depth to great depth. And the problem was apparently supposed to be midfield depth, despite the fact we have 8 players there. Figure that one out.

Having everybody fit at the same time certainly puts things into perspective.

As I’ve said in the FSG thread, looking at the squad, it was strong all along.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

All it took was for us to sign one attacking player in January and we've gone from having bad depth to great depth. And the problem was apparently supposed to be midfield depth, despite the fact we have 8 players there. Figure that one out.

Not an issue up front except Mane and more so Firmino were out of form, the latter will still serve a purpose off the bench I believe, particularly in away games and if Origi our 6th best striker thats not bad at all! Oh yes, Minamino!

Midfield whoever:

Fabinho - shoe in

Thiago - shoe in (when fit)

Henderson - shoe in, if could find some consistency form of a couple of years back - one good pass V Norwich not quite there yet (harsh I know)

After that

Elliot - real potential

Jones - needs to refind that real potential

Milner - legs gone, good for a cup match or end of game experience

Chamberlain - a cup match or no match

Keita - glue

So we have a lot of depth in both, the problem is the midfield depth...not to mention the brittle midfield depth!!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Not an issue up front except Mane and more so Firmino were out of form, the latter will still serve a purpose off the bench I believe, particularly in away games and if Origi our 6th best striker thats not bad at all! Oh yes, Minamino!

Midfield whoever:

Fabinho - shoe in

Henderson - shoe in, if could find some consistency form of a couple of years back - one good pass V Norwich not quite there yet (harsh I know)

After that

Elliot - real potential

Keita - glue

So we have a lot of depth in both, the problem is the midfield depth...not to mention the brittle midfield depth!!

We've never had a problem of midfield depth, we've had a problem of a lack of quality and reliability. Those aren't the same thing. You can't replace some of these unreliable players without selling them first.

9 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Midfield whoever:

Fabinho - shoe in

After that

Elliot - real potential

Keita - glue

As in  - glue factory??

1 hour ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Mane’s dip in form has been greatly over exaggerated.

Undoubtably not his best last season (and let’s face it, who was?) but he still got 11 goals in the league, 16 in all comps. That equates to 1 in 3. He also got 8 Premiership assists, 9 in total.

When it came to the crunch last season, he pulled his socks up with 4 goals and 4 assists. 

As for this season, a couple of poor games but he still has 9 goals in 22 games - many as Ronaldo, Vardey, Fernandes & Son. Sterling is 3rd in the top scorers list with 10 - only Jota and Mo have scored more.  He’ll get 20+ across all competitions this season. 

Can we please finally put this theory his form has completely dropped off a cliff to bed, it’s clearly not true. 

He’s not hitting the 2018-2020 form but he’s still very effective and very good. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've never had a problem of midfield depth, we've had a problem of a lack of quality and reliability. Those aren't the same thing. You can't replace some of these unreliable players without selling them first.

Yes! As I said…albeit in greater ‘depth’

How do you solve the problem of Keita in particular, Klopp seems to love him, then again he does defend his players to the nth! 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Mane still got 11 goals in the league, 16 in all comps. That equates to 1 in 3. He also got 8 Premiership assists, 9 in total. 

Most of that was before January though.

After Matip's injury vs West Brom, he fell off a cliff.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Mane’s dip in form has been greatly over exaggerated.

Undoubtably not his best last season (and let’s face it, who was?) but he still got 11 goals in the league, 16 in all comps. That equates to 1 in 3. He also got 8 Premiership assists, 9 in total.

When it came to the crunch last season, he pulled his socks up with 4 goals and 4 assists. 

As for this season, a couple of poor games but he still has 9 goals in 22 games - many as Ronaldo, Vardey, Fernandes & Son. Sterling is 3rd in the top scorers list with 10 - only Jota and Mo have scored more.  He’ll get 20+ across all competitions this season. 

Can we please finally put this theory his form has completely dropped off a cliff to bed, it’s clearly not true. 

He’s not hitting the 2018-2020 form but he’s still very effective and very good. 

I think you are exaggerating my apparent exaggeration! 

More a dip in form than a huge drop off for Mane in comparison to ‘Mane’ of previous years…no idea of his stats, but sure he went 9/10 games without scoring and by his standard that’s not good. 

Or maybe I’m thinking of a couple of misses that stick out this season, particularly that West Ham last minute. 

So not dropped off a cliff, more a moderate incline!!

7 hours ago, Shitty Arse said:

I would’ve kept hold of Neco personally. 

I genuinely think that Klopp would play Gomez and Milner ahead of him, at RB, in a big game so was comfortable for him to go on loan and improve. Whether that is to sell him or to integrate him as bac-up RB will depend on Neco, I suppose

10 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Yes, being less casual is one thing, but running around with a little hard on is just not befitting of LFC

Woah just a fucking minute. "Little"? Did you say "little"? That's hu-fucking-mungus. No wait. I've not got that right. Yeah. Tiny. Hahaha tiny-cock-Thiago, he's got a titchy hard-o. 

Anyway gotta go. Mum's calling me. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Having everybody fit at the same time certainly puts things into perspective.

As I’ve said in the FSG thread, looking at the squad, it was strong all along.

I would say 'pretty strong' but with the caveat 'when fit' alongside about half a dozen of those players. We gambled,it failed last season but hopefully will pay off this season. It will still bug me that if we win the League this season we will only be level with Man U on titles rather than one ahead though.

10 hours ago, Nolongerathletic said:

I think you are exaggerating my apparent exaggeration! 

More a dip in form than a huge drop off for Mane in comparison to ‘Mane’ of previous years…no idea of his stats, but sure he went 9/10 games without scoring and by his standard that’s not good. 

Or maybe I’m thinking of a couple of misses that stick out this season, particularly that West Ham last minute. 

So not dropped off a cliff, more a moderate incline!!

The thing with Mane though is when he does go through a barren spell, he still works like a Trojan - he's still an absolute menace to the opposition, battling for every ball, and helping out defensively.  I'd always have him in the team if he's fit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, stringvest said:

The thing with Mane though is when he does go through a barren spell, he still works like a Trojan - he's still an absolute menace to the opposition, battling for every ball, and helping out defensively.  I'd always have him in the team if he's fit.

Agree, he's a beast, must be toughest to mark in the PL, pace, power and not afraid to leave the boot in. 

6 hours ago, stringvest said:

Yeah he doesn’t go missing like loads of players you could name over the years. Even if he’s having a nightmare and the ball keeps on bouncing off his shin he will still be making runs, demanding the ball etc

31 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Yeah he doesn’t go missing like loads of players you could name over the years. Even if he’s having a nightmare and the ball keeps on bouncing off his shin he will still be making runs, demanding the ball etc

He lost some of the explosiveness he had to burst past players on short distances. I'm still 100% convinced it was Covid related. Seems to have gained that back. He always had that bouncy of the legs thing, also a part of what makes him unpredictable. But he never gave up working hard all game. Maybe also the "beef" him and Salah obviously had was a factor. He seems to have come to terms with the fact that Salah is just better. Also you can see that now setting up eachother is not eating away at both of them.