You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I said our best players.

Think it was on 78 minutes today, a cross into their box  was cleared high into the air. It’s a 50/50 between Thiago and an opponent right on the edge if their area. Thiago jumps and challenges in the air like he always does. It bounces again and behind the two it’s another 50/50 between Henderson and an opponent. Henderson backs off to see what happens, instead of challenging for the ball. This is so typical Henderson, and one of the main reasons he probably isn’t good enough to start for us. Far too passive, hardly ever wins a tackle or a header.

That said Henderson had a decent finish to the match today. First 60 minutes he was pretty average.

• Downvote 1

He has won 29 major trophies (which is more than the majority of the teams in the whole of the english league) including 2 champions league medals and 11 league winners medals, he is only 30 years old and we have won 100% of the matches in which he has played.

Suspect fitness or not we are lucky to have him. He is a born winner!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

He has won 29 major trophies (which is more than the majority of the teams in the whole of the english league) including 2 champions league medals and 11 league winners medals, he is only 30 years old and we have won 100% of the matches in which he has played.

Suspect fitness or not we are lucky to have him. He is a born winner!

This. 

And lots of people on here labelled him useless a year ago. Probably because some lazy, clueless pundit said he had problems adapting. Unreal.

11 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. 

And lots of people on here labelled him useless a year ago. Probably because some lazy, clueless pundit said he had problems adapting. Unreal.

He had problems adapting because he spent half his time playing as a number 6 while Fabinho and Hendo were our centre backs.

Mad how often a lazy pundit has a shit take and people repeat it as fact instead of thinking for themselves. 

• Upvote 1

He had the great debut at Chelsea then was assaulted at Everton in his very next game (casual football observers won't appreciate it, but that game probably cost us the title last season and I don't think that's an exaggeration). Then when he came back into the team in January it was with Henderson / Fabinho as centre backs and playing alongside Shaqiri/Origi/Oxlade/Curtis Jones all together variously in the outfield. He must have thought "what the fuck is this all about?".

He was bought to win us the European Cup I think, but who could possibly have foreseen what would happen with injuries last season. It was supernatural (and Everton).

16 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. 

He was very underwhelming until the run in last season. I don't think people pointing that out were saying anything particularly outlandish.

I'm not his biggest fan myself (I am warming to him now) although the team certainly purrs a bit more when he's playing. Let's hope he can stay fit for the next three months because if he does, I think one or two trophies might be on the cards.

21 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Think it was on 78 minutes today, a cross into their box  was cleared high into the air. It’s a 50/50 between Thiago and an opponent right on the edge if their area. Thiago jumps and challenges in the air like he always does. It bounces again and behind the two it’s another 50/50 between Henderson and an opponent. Henderson backs off to see what happens, instead of challenging for the ball. This is so typical Henderson, and one of the main reasons he probably isn’t good enough to start for us. Far too passive, hardly ever wins a tackle or a header.

That said Henderson had a decent finish to the match today. First 60 minutes he was pretty average.

I don't know how we've won anything with Henderson in the team,we've been waiting for Thiago ever since Klopp took over. Everything we've won with Hendo a regular now doesn't count! 

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

According to the FSG thread, anybody could have foreseen it because it was inevitable.

It wasn't inevitable but a lot of people on here were saying we had insufficient cover at centre back going into last season & it ended up proving to be the case.

Seems he is starting to put those casual passes away. They often gave counters for the opponents. Class player no doubt. If he stayed injury free for a significant period and with his tenacity, vision it would be awesome. He is rarely the assist, but very very often in his career been the pass before the assist or the opening of the attack that led to goal with his creativity. I've slacked him off a couple of times, pure frustration when you know his ability. Stat fucking injury free and we'll be an even more force.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Him playing away to City or not is going to be significant.

I'm still not totally bought into him yet, though he absolutely takes our technical ability up another level in the middle of the park when he plays and going up against city, who are a very technical side, it could well be as you allude to, a game changer if he is or isn't playing. 

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

According to the FSG thread, anybody could have foreseen it because it was inevitable.

Not sure if serious, but while depth was something of an issue that should have been addressed in summer & could have better been rectified in January, Pickford GBH on VVD + whatever freak training accident it was that put Gomez out for a year couldn't have been legislated for. Matip .. yeah, was being Matip (this season aside).