You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

16 hours ago, an tha said:

I'm sure I posted this before - someone told me over the Xmas period that he's on another "give it complete rest" injury as they're not sure of the issue. I'm not 100% when that started, but at that point they were estimating 2-4 weeks and then if it hasn't cleared up, try and work out again what's wrong, he's at least 1 week into that now though. 

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

If true he is done here IMO

If it is true I would agree. We're carrying far too many midfielders at present. Keita and Ox are finished, Milner is going and thiago can't stay fit. 

That leaves 4 in fabinho, elliot, Jones and Henderson. We'll need to sign 3 I'd say and that isn't happening. 

7 minutes ago, Freddo said:

If it is true I would agree. We're carrying far too many midfielders at present. Keita and Ox are finished, Milner is going and thiago can't stay fit. 

That leaves 4 in fabinho, elliot, Jones and Henderson. We'll need to sign 3 I'd say and that isn't happening. 

Our midfield is in desperate need of an overhaul and for me it should start right now....and be done across 3 windows.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

Our midfield is in desperate need of an overhaul and for me it should start right now....and be done across 3 windows.

I think that's spot on. Even if any signings now are just with a view of having them up to speed for next season, rather than signing this summer and losing this side of the world cup getting them up to speed. 

23 minutes ago, an tha said:

It's already happening.

Elliott was getting games at the start of the season and now Morton is being given games. 

1 minute ago, John102 said:

It's already happening.

Elliott was getting games at the start of the season and now Morton is being given games. 

Mate, Morton is years off being ready (in fact I'd be amazed if he makes it, he looks very limited and slow). Some of his performances have been appalling. It's not his fault, he's too small to be competing and just isn't ready for mens football. He's getting games because of the lack of fitness in the majority of our midfielders. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Mate, Morton is years off being ready (in fact I'd be amazed if he makes it, he looks very limited and slow). Some of his performances have been appalling. It's not his fault, he's too small to be competing and just isn't ready for mens football. He's getting games because of the lack of fitness in the majority of our midfielders. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team. 

I think eliot and Jones look good options for now and the future. 

Morton as done well but I'd personally be very surprised if he makes it here. 

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

This transfer has got to go down as one of the dumbest mother fucking pieces of business we've ever done

Keita has that one well locked in.  We're going to lose a massive amount on him.

The Thiago fuck up is a good lesson in not paying large fees for players not far off 30.  Stick to frees like Milner.

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

Jones isn’t a good option for us at the moment I have to concede, as you don’t don’t what you get from him. He needs a full season at the likes of Newcastle, Leeds or Southampton IMO. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, John102 said:

It's already happening.

Not enough for my money....they are potentially good maybe very good talents...but we IMO need more over next couple of years.

Crocks and just not good enough like Keita and Oxlade need jibbing and the aged and semi crocks like Henderson/Thiago probably do too in next 12 mths.

The signs were there before we signed him that he was always likely to miss games. We don't have anyone reliable in midfield. 

Ots the main area that needs a massive overhaul, I'd happily see most bar Fabinho,Elliot,Jones and Hendo(because he signed a new deal) go. 

If its true we want Zakaria/Kessie in the summer we should be offering a few million now to get the deal done. 

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The signs were there before we signed him that he was always likely to miss games. We don't have anyone reliable in midfield. 

Ots the main area that needs a massive overhaul, I'd happily see most bar Fabinho,Elliot,Jones and Hendo(because he signed a new deal) go. 

If its true we want Zakaria/Kessie in the summer we should be offering a few million now to get the deal done. 

Kessie doesn’t look good enough for the PL IMO.

9 hours ago, Code said:

Rumours, haha yes they are ever so reliable. 

Unfortunately bad news rumours about us tend to be true. 

Although I would question how this conclusion has been come to considering the training centre and all our medical equipment has been closed all week.

11 hours ago, Freddo said:

I think Elliot looks a fine prospect. But the kid has played 4 games in midfield in his career. So perhaps he can be the 1 in 1000 type kid and make that level of immediate breakthrough. But most likely is even if he makes it, it will be a couple of years before he's reliable. People were making similar claims about Jones a couple of years back. It takes time and as we see with him he is still very up and down. Finding the consistency playing well 9 games in 10 as you do for a top team is amazingly difficult.

They're both certainly part of the evolution of our midfield, but the problem is because of the unreliability of the senior players, I think we absolutely need others to replace existing squad members. 

9 hours ago, Code said:

Rumours, haha yes they are ever so reliable. 

The vacuum that seems to exist around these players who get injured a lot with seemingly unknown paths and timescales to recovery creates this situation and makes it easy for people who just make shit up. The fact someone can chuck out there that thiago is out for the season and it's met with a collective shrug shows just how low the bar is on expectation that this fella can get back. We have seen the same with other players like keita, lallana, Chamberlain, matip and Sturridge before. If someone said thiago was already ruled out of the world cup I'm not sure it would generate a reaction.