You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It doesn't make sense. There are few clubs out there with more than like 5 good midfielders. Even if we want to call Keita and Ox shite, we have like 6 other good ones that are all trusted by Klopp to a decent extent.

Neither does making out people concerned about our midfield options/reliability are comparing it to the crisis at centre half last season......when nobody has done so.. 

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

Neither does making out people concerned about our midfield options/reliability are comparing it to the crisis at centre half last season......when nobody has done so.. 

There are loads of people saying the handling of the midfield this season is as irresponsible as the handling of the CB's was last year. "The same thing will happen" etc etc. You been living under a rock since Gini left and we didn't replace him, or what?

Keita and Chamberlain just needed to go in the summer. Get their quarter of a million quid a week off the wage bill and take whatever we could in transfers fees. 

Then sign someone around 21-24. Ahead in their development than Jones and Elliott, but still with room to improve. We'd have been in a stronger position with those seven, than the eight we have. 

Or, obviously, bin them both and give Gini a new deal. 

We didn't, and we are where we are. The Elliott injury was a really kick in the teeth as he looked very capable of playing in midfield. I think most people assumed he'd be loaned out again or given x amount of minutes playing wide right. 

It's not a crisis like last year at centre back, and I don't think anyone has said as much, but it was a fairly predictable outcome. 

I wonder if we are going to see 4-2-3-1 a bit more this year with four forwards. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There are loads of people saying the handling of the midfield this season is as irresponsible as the handling of the CB's was last year. "The same thing will happen" etc etc. You been living under a rock since Gini left and we didn't replace him, or what?

Can't say i have read that, but if you say it is case then fair do's.

Personally i don't think our midfield options are strong/reliable enough....we have plenty of bodies yeah, and as the manager likes the options then of course we didn't and won't add...but for me we should have got rid of some and brought new blood in.

Wijnaldum rarely missed a game, we have nobody now who offers that kind of reliability and stability and for me sharing his minutes between a rotating cast is not good for the fluidity, understanding and consistency of our midfield and team.

I just feel we could have done with adding one player of real quality (with a good reliability record) and bin bagging the two wastes of space Keita and Oxlade - clearly we didn't want to get rid of them or simply could not (not easy moving on such players in current climate) I feel this would have been helpful in easing the pressure on the two kids we are developing in there, I wouldn't see someone coming in as stunting their development....they are going to get their chances soon enough anyway with the age profile of Milner, Henderson and Thiago...just ease them in a bit slower and have a bit more proven quality available.

It is of course in no way comparable to the nightmare at centre half last season, but i can see how it could quickly become a problem area given the players we are talking about.

We need a bit of a break on the injury front and i can see why people think we may not get it given the history of the players in there.

27 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Keita and Chamberlain just needed to go in the summer. Get their quarter of a million quid a week off the wage bill and take whatever we could in transfers fees. 

Then sign someone around 21-24. Ahead in their development than Jones and Elliott, but still with room to improve. We'd have been in a stronger position with those seven, than the eight we have. 

We didn't, and we are where we are. The Elliott injury was a really kick in the teeth as he looked very capable of playing in midfield. I think most people assumed he'd be loaned out again or given x amount of minutes playing wide right. 

It's not a crisis like last year at centre back, and I don't think anyone has said as much, but it was a fairly predictable outcome. 

I wonder if we are going to see 4-2-3-1 a bit more this year with four forwards. 

200w.gif?cid=8d8c0358lslzz82qgbqo05zegi0

33 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, but the problem is squarely Ox and Keita and we have plenty of other bodies to make up for them. 

If we have no plans to get rid of them, we'll be having this conversation forever. It is what it is.

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

200w.gif?cid=8d8c0358lslzz82qgbqo05zegi0

Would have been a good fit, but Real Madrid are/were pretty short of midfielders and their best is 47 years old. He'd have cost a lot. 

Locatelli would have been nice. Amrabat also. Plenty in Italy and Spain, and no doubt France and Germany as well (I don't watch the leagues). Or Bissouma here, of course. 

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but the problem is squarely Ox and Keita and we have plenty of other bodies to make up for them. 

If we have no plans to get rid of them, we'll be having this conversation forever. It is what it is.

Yes, but just having numbers doesn't really work, does it? I don't think it's too unfair for people to look at the balance. We have two that are injury prone and shit, the two you mention. One that is 35, and expected to be back up right back as well. 

Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago are all very good, but it isn't a group devoid of injuries either. Then we have two kids, one in Jones who should get, and requires at this stage of his career, plenty of games. 

It's why for me the thing I really wanted from the summer was to fuck off everyone that can't be relied upon. They give a false impression to the depth of the squad. 

But yeah, this is on Klopp. I have no time for the owners but I think if he really wanted rid of Chamberlain and Keita he would have fucked them off in the summer and signed someone. 

It's just a bit depressing seeing these same wasters season after season performing the same non role. I think Klopp could be slightly more ruthless in these situations (independently of what anyone may feel about the owners and what funds they'll provide relative to out competitors/rivals and relative to the size of the club). 

I'm one of those who suggested last year's CB crisis is potentially this year's CM crisis, while appreciating that the starting position of each are not the same.  However we have about two reliable CMs for three positions (three quarters Fab, two thirds Hendo, two thirds Thiago), that's not much better than starting with one reliable CB for two positions. Putting Elliott aside now I would suggest the remainder will contribute little this season and not a one of them will do as much for us this season as Nat Phillips did last.  Jones is probably the only one with a chance of doing something meaningful though I have my doubts.  Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I'm one of those who suggested last year's CB crisis is potentially this year's CM crisis, while appreciating that the starting position of each are not the same.  However we have about two reliable CMs for three positions (three quarters Fab, two thirds Hendo, two thirds Thiago), that's not much better than starting with one reliable CB for two positions. Putting Elliott aside now I would suggest the remainder will contribute little this season and not a one of them will do as much for us this season as Nat Phillips did last.  Jones is probably the only one with a chance of doing something meaningful though I have my doubts.  Hope I'm wrong.

You don't think Curtis Jones will contribute as much as Nat Phillips if he has to play regularly?

Did you think Nat Phillips would contribute as much as Nat Phillips this time last year?

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

We have the options of playing Milner, Jones and Ox against Brentford. None of them are nearly as good as Thiago but it’s not a crisis (yet). Klopp also confirmed that Naby’s injury whilst painful it isn’t serious, so he should be back for Porto or City. 

I feel as though this "we'll be OK" post is missing a final sentence...

5 hours ago, Moo said:

Curtis is fucking boss mate.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I’m no doom monger and you normally have at least a valid point of discussion but Wijnaldum plays 50+ games a season. Him not getting replaced is a real concern. One more injury (to one of our injury prone players) and we’re starting to look like we’re down to bare bones again.