You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Henderson has to play on the right side now. There's no one else, bar the Chamberlain of 17-18 who can do the job really well there. Keita is shite on the right. Don't think it's best for Jones and Thiago either. I'd like to see Chamberlain step up again. 

Elliott was genuinely adding something different and great on that side with the interchange between him, Trent and Salah. Just a massive shame. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I like Jones. He'll surely get a few opportunities over the next while, though I find it odd that he hasn't featured for us yet this season. 

Christ knows what we'll see from Keita. 

Really disappointed in Keita.  I thought he could have done well for us, but hope is extinguished now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I think that blunts us as an attacking force and makes us more predictable.

People seem to overlook how many times Fabinho plays that little chippy dinky ball over the top for our attackers.

Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson have plenty of creativity between them.

As well as protecting our centrebacks and covering our fullbacks when they bomb forward.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Who would you have in the midfield Ian?

Fabinho, Thiago and Hendo.

At the risk of repeating myself, our midfield isn’t expected to be the creative force in this team, it’s just not how we setup. Yes they will contribute at times but the vast majority of goals and assists will come from the the front 3 and full backs.

Just now, Brownie said:

Fabinho, Thiago and Hendo.

At the risk of repeating myself, our midfield isn’t expected to be the creative force in this team, it’s just not how we setup. Yes they will contribute at times but the vast majority of goals and assists will come from the the front 3 and full backs.

that was the case before we had Thiago up and running.  Things are changing I think.  Robertson has been found out and is out of form anyway - plus he is of limited value as an attacking force against a team sitting deep.  

11 minutes ago, stringvest said:

that was the case before we had Thiago up and running.  Things are changing I think.  Robertson has been found out and is out of form anyway - plus he is of limited value as an attacking force against a team sitting deep.  

I’m all for us evolving and I agree that Thiago was a break from the norm with our midfield but we still rely on the front 3 and full backs to create the vast majority of chances.

I would argue that when teams sit really deep we need to be making sure that it’s Trent and Robbo who help you to break them down; by stretching the game and getting in behind rather than just playing in front of them, like we did in the Chelsea game.

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I’m all for us evolving and I agree that Thiago was a break from the norm with our midfield but we still rely on the front 3 and full backs to create the vast majority of chances.

I would argue that when teams sit really deep we need to be making sure that it’s Trent and Robbo who help you to break them down; by stretching the game and getting in behind rather than just playing in front of them, like we did in the Chelsea game.

Robbo cannot get in behind a deep sitting right back.  And because he has no right foot the ball invariably is played backwards.  It's different with Trent on the other side.

17 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Robbo cannot get in behind a deep sitting right back.  And because he has no right foot the ball invariably is played backwards.  It's different with Trent on the other side.

He can if you build the play up in the right way. Countless examples of it over the last few years.

13 hours ago, m0e said:

He's going to take us up another level.

That was the plan last season, until the game at Goodison for more reasons than one.

Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo is as good as anything in word football today.

Henderson is the weakest out of those three imo. Great character and great leader, but still a somewhat limited player. So far this season he’s been quite poor actually, not that I expect that to continue he’s normally very reliable but just lacking the last bit of quality, and creativity in particular.

Elliott wasn’t in team mainly because the others are off form, he was in it beacause he was the best choice to bring both quality and balance to the midfield.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Behave.

I don't mean he won't be in the team, I mean that when we're playing teams sitting deep he won't be providing much from an attacking sense.  Certainly not when compared to the two-footed TAA.  Robertson's strengths going forward are his ability to burst past the defender into space and put a decent cross in.  When the play is compressed into an area up to 30 yards from the opposition goal, you know what's going to happen when Robertson gets the ball.  It's going backwards. 

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It is certainly strange how far down the pecking order Jones has been. 

Something a bit odd has being going on. Maybe Jurgen doesn't think he's yet developed into a good midfield fit for our system or he's stagnated a bit in training or he's carrying a knock. Either way he seems to be right down the pecking order at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, aws said:

Something a bit odd has being going on. Maybe Jurgen doesn't think he's yet developed into a good midfield fit for our system or he's stagnated a bit in training or he's carrying a knock. Either way he seems to be right down the pecking order at the moment. 

sometimes when the youngsters get a bit of a run in the team, they think they've 'arrived', and they relax a bit too much in the close season.  

7 hours ago, aws said:

He started off really well last season but his last few games he didn’t do so well. He was very conservative on the ball without being an asset defensively. I believe the issue is that he is not a natural CM. His best position is probably as a number 10. I wouldn’t wind seeing us ‘flipping the triangle’ for one game and give him a run as an attacking midfielder. Thiago, Fabinho and Keita all excelled playing in a double pivot system in previous clubs. 

9 hours ago, aws said:

Yeah I've no idea what it is, but it's a little surprising. I did wonder if maybe Elliot was just more ready when they came back for preseason and it was a way to give him a little kick. Was there U21 internationals in the summer, so maybe he is just behind some others?