You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Aside from the obvious chance he gave them of course.

I thought he was decent today otherwise, although I can probably say that about everyone but mane who was very wasteful and fabinho who's reading of the game was absolutely world class and he was comfortably my mom

He’s your mum? 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, m0e said:

He's going to take us up another level.

That was the plan last season, until the game at Goodison for more reasons than one.

Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo is as good as anything in word football today.

We don't need Henderson in the midfield if we have Fabinho and Thiago.  To give us balance, we need a creative attacking midfielder, comfortable on the ball.  A bit like Harvey.

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I think Hendo is defo in our best midfield. We spoke about this in the pod but the way we play almost stifles creativity from the midfielders as they have so much covering to do and other jobs.

but what does he do in a mf with Fabinho and Thiago?  It makes no sense to play him with those two.  Plenty of creativity from our mf yesterday.

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

but what does he do in a mf with Fabinho and Thiago?  It makes no sense to play him with those two.  Plenty of creativity from our mf yesterday.

He does what he always does when he plays as an 8. Covers loads of ground towards the right when Trent is basically playing as a winger, gets on the ball and makes sure that our biggest threats get the ball in the final third. That’s the main job of our midfield; cover the spaces, win the ball back, give it to the full backs and front 3 to do their thing.

He’s really good at that.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Covers from Trent, plugs gaps, makes driving runs and plays balls in from the right.

17 minutes ago, Brownie said:

He does what he always does when he plays as an 8. Covers loads of ground towards the right when Trent is basically playing as a winger, gets on the ball and makes sure that our biggest threats get the ball in the final third. That’s the main job of our midfield; cover the spaces, win the ball back, give it to the full backs and front 3 to do their thing.

He’s really good at that.

but you must agree that he's not as good at getting the ball forward quickly as others - he's far more likely to pass sideways or backwards. He's also less comfortable in receiving the ball in tight situations, and is less likely to create chances than someone like Elliott.  We've got ball winners in Thiago and Fabinho, we need a creative AM to play in advanced positions, supporting Trent as required - as Harvey did when necessary yesterday.  What we did have was control through possession.  

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

but you must agree that he's not as good at getting the ball forward quickly as others - he's far more likely to pass sideways or backwards. He's also less comfortable in receiving the ball in tight situations, and is less likely to create chances than someone like Elliott.  We've got ball winners in Thiago and Fabinho, we need a creative AM to play in advanced positions, supporting Trent as required - as Harvey did when necessary yesterday.  What we did have was control through possession.  

Yeah,that defence splitting pass for our third goal(was it?) was awful! You talk a lot of sense about most things other than Jordan Henderson. 

26 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hendo played 3 or 4 penetrative passes to put our front players in dangerous positions when he came on. As his career has progressed, his passing range has just gotten better and better for me.

He’s a boss player and 100% part of our best midfield 3.

Correct.

Although I do like the cut of Elliott's jib!

Ox must be finished at this stage. Such a disinterested performance after he came on. Possibly badly affected by the Elliott injury, but more likely just gone to shit.

44 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,that defence splitting pass for our third goal(was it?) was awful! You talk a lot of sense about most things other than Jordan Henderson. 

the defence splitting pass?  The ball across the box?  It wasn't awful.  I just think the bar that Henderson gets judged against on here is a lot lower than others.  

36 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hendo played 3 or 4 penetrative passes to put our front players in dangerous positions when he came on. As his career has progressed, his passing range has just gotten better and better for me.

Who would you have in the midfield Ian?

38 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago. 

Then Jones, Milner, Keita and Ox. 

After Elliott got injured yesterday, I did that thing when running through our current midfield options where I completely forgot about Keita's existence until about an hour later.  

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago. 

Then Jones, Milner, Keita and Ox. 

After Elliott got injured yesterday, I did that thing when running through our current midfield options where I completely forgot about Keita's existence until about an hour later.  

I think that blunts us as an attacking force and makes us more predictable.

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think that blunts us as an attacking force and makes us more predictable.

Plenty of creativity in Thiago and Hendo for me. Who would you go with?

Anyway, for me our midfield under the best of times with Klopp has been about being a platform for Trent and Robbo. 

I don't think Hendo offers much in the way of creativity.  Too slow in thought and not technical enough.  Had it not been for the injury, Elliott would have blossomed and provided the creativity, and the ability to play in confined spaces that we need from an attacking midfielder.  With Henderson, the onus moves away from creating opportunities and giving our forwards space and more importantly time through quick passing, to a more pedestrian approach which gives teams more time to settle, and more importance in tracking back when we haven't got the ball.  

An additional safety measure we don't need, and a missed opportunity to retain the balanced forward-looking midfield we saw for most of the game yesterday.

I'd go with Fab, Thiago and I'd give Jones a go in that role.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I don't think Hendo offers much in the way of creativity.  Too slow in thought and not technical enough.  Had it not been for the injury, Elliott would have blossomed and provided the creativity, and the ability to play in confined spaces that we need from an attacking midfielder.  With Henderson, the onus moves away from creating opportunities and giving our forwards space and more importantly time through quick passing, to a more pedestrian approach which gives teams more time to settle, and more importance in tracking back when we haven't got the ball.  

An additional safety measure we don't need, and a missed opportunity to retain the balanced forward-looking midfield we saw for most of the game yesterday.

I'd go with Fab, Thiago and I'd give Jones a go in that role.  

I like Jones. He'll surely get a few opportunities over the next while, though I find it odd that he hasn't featured for us yet this season. 

Christ knows what we'll see from Keita.