You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

21 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Even Thiago came out and said he was poor, putting it down to injury.  Of course instead of getting himself fit he fucked off to the euros carrying an injury and fucked the start of the next season up.

Not to strange people want to rewrite history.  Well used to it by now.

Yeah, fuck the games we watched him play and the comments we made at the time, on this very forum.

It's all about rewriting history.

Fuck me.

3 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

These pesky European Championships and World Cups that players want to play in, eh?

Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Maradona, Rossi, Eusebio, Hunt.

The disloyal, selfish pricks.

The rewards at club level were a fraction of what they are now though. And fans weren't paying through the nose to watch them either. Those players have to take some responsibility because of this now though.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The rewards at club level were a fraction of what they are now though. And fans weren't paying through the nose to watch them either. Those players have to take some responsibility because of this now though.

Of course.

I'm no fan of players today and what they earn.  

Indeed Alan T (Big Cheese) Kayll and his "I don't like the players, or the managers, just the club" feelings of a few years back are starting to make just a little bit of sense to me.

Obversely, though, putting places like Liverpool and Catalonia and the Basque Country and the Internazionale part of Milan perhaps to one side, there are still lots of people in the Netherlands, Italy, Croatia, Germany, Spain, England, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Egypt and stuff to whom national teams are still a source of footballing interest, enthusiasm, pride, dare I say patriotism and even passion.

1 hour ago, s(k)aturation said:

Of course.

I'm no fan of players today and what they earn.  

Indeed Alan T (Big Cheese) Kayll and his "I don't like the players, or the managers, just the club" feelings of a few years back are starting to make just a little bit of sense to me.

Obversely, though, putting places like Liverpool and Catalonia and the Basque Country and the Internazionale part of Milan perhaps to one side, there are still lots of people in the Netherlands, Italy, Croatia, Germany, Spain, England, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Egypt and stuff to whom national teams are still a source of footballing interest, enthusiasm, pride, dare I say patriotism and even passion.

Fair point. I just wish these clubs,with the power they supposedly have,would kick up a fuss and force some kind of compromise to the ridiculous fixture congestion caused by internationals. Although from an LFC perspective this is ultimately caused by a stupidly small squad for one of the world's largest and richest clubs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grinch said:

Even Thiago came out and said he was poor, putting it down to injury.  Of course instead of getting himself fit he fucked off to the euros carrying an injury and fucked the start of the next season up.

Not to strange people want to rewrite history.  Well used to it by now.

I do think it's surprising how easily that injury has been brushed under the carpet. 

9 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Ahhh yes instead of staying and getting fit he fucked off to the Euro’s….. a bit like our captain then 

The difference with the captain, he had an injury and the euros formed part of his rehab. When he returned to training, aside from normal pre-season stuff, he was ready to go. Thiago went with a muscle injury (hamstring iirc) that required rest to recover. They tried to accomplish that in his 3 week break between Spain being eliminated from the euros and his return to preseason. He hadn't recovered and required more rest. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The difference with the captain, he had an injury and the euros formed part of his rehab. When he returned to training, aside from normal pre-season stuff, he was ready to go. Thiago went with a muscle injury (hamstring iirc) that required rest to recover. They tried to accomplish that in his 3 week break between Spain being eliminated from the euros and his return to preseason. He hadn't recovered and required more rest. 

He played with an injury and singlehandedly carried our midfield across the finish line at the end of last season though, so he would’ve been fit for the Euros and this season if he hadn’t have played like Hendo. So swings and roundabouts IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He played with an injury and singlehandedly carried our midfield across the finish line at the end of last season

This sort of stuff is just utter nonsense, he was quite good in a handful of games towards the end of the season, that's about it.

The boy has it all to prove at Liverpool & frankly I'd have Jones & Elliott in the team before him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mook said:

This sort of stuff is just utter nonsense, he was quite good in a handful of games towards the end of the season, that's about it.

The boy has it all to prove at Liverpool & frankly I'd have Jones & Elliott in the team before him.

Neither Jones nor Elliott has proven anything in a Red shirt either. 

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Like everybody, he played well from Villa onwards. 

Obviously helped having Fabinho back next to him.

Jones and Elliot are different players to Thiago but nowhere near his level yet.

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

He was the one good midfielder we had at the back end of last season. Fabinho was awful.

I thought once Fabinho came back into midfield he was very good as it allowed him a bit more freedom further up the pitch.

He didn't single handedly do anything, it was all about the team over those last 10 games and he was a very good part of that.

We now step into a new season and we will judge him on this. Except we know that will not happen as people have already made up their minds and entrenched themselves in that opinion.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He played with an injury and singlehandedly carried our midfield across the finish line at the end of last season though, so he would’ve been fit for the Euros and this season if he hadn’t have played like Hendo. So swings and roundabouts IMHO. 

Single handle carried our midfield? Stop it. He played well 2 or 3 times and didn't even manage a MoM performance. 

And he wasn't fit, because 3 weeks rest was not enough. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fabinho moving back into the middle changed our fortunes more than anything in the back end of last season. Thiago was ace as well. 

Go back to the match threads from last season. He was honestly really bad on the home stretch. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Single handle carried our midfield? Stop it. He played well 2 or 3 times and didn't even manage a MoM performance. 

And he wasn't fit, because 3 weeks rest was not enough. 

He wasn’t fit for the Euros either because he played with an injury for us at the back end of last season, and he was clearly the best midfielder on the home stretch by some distance.

51 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He wasn’t fit for the Euros either because he played with an injury for us at the back end of last season, and he was clearly the best midfielder on the home stretch by some distance.

He should play for us with if we want him to. He's our player, we pay him almost a million quid a month. And then when the season finishes his 1st thought should be how he can be fit for the coming season. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Almost as surprising as how easily you brushed his injury against Everton under the carpet

The club brushed it aside and said it was a 2 week injury. Except he clearly isn't a quick healer because it took 3 months. Hence why 3 weeks wasn't enough in the summer. 

As for his form, I remember who you were referencing at the back end of the season was our midfield difference maker. And I agreed with you on it. And it wasn't this fella. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He should play for us with if we want him to. He's our player, we pay him almost a million quid a month. And then when the season finishes his 1st thought should be how he can be fit for the coming season.

I mean it’s all good you saying that and it sounds very firm and strong and all, but unfortunately the reality is players miss games because of injuries all the time. Thiago played with an injury at the end of last season and he carried our midfield across the finish line, as a result he wasn’t fit enough for the Euros and this season. Was a good call in hindsight, doubt we would’ve made the CL otherwise.