You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

41 minutes ago, Mook said:

Looked more like a Burnley player today, tried a few things to get them back in the game when he came on.

I honestly think sometimes he's a bit of a victim of his own style. He disguises passes so well that he can be a liability around our defence if he doesn't play it to feet. The unexpected happens, but not always in a good way.

Quite clearly a quality player. However it seems like the pace of the English game still catches him by surprise sometimes. There’s times where he expects more time on the ball and is shocked when he is suddenly closed down.

There were a couple of dodgy moments today but one of them I’d put at the feet of TAA and Matip. Thiago headed a ball in their direction and they both seemed to leave it for each other before backing off and allowing the Burnley player to get the ball.

IMO a Hendo, Fabs + Thiago midfield is still out strongest this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A strange article from the echo, I would suggested setting the narrative for his departure. 

FSG could be forced to confront Thiago realisation Liverpool want to ignore

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fsg-could-forced-confront-thiago-21529874#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

A strange article from the echo, I would suggested setting the narrative for his departure. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fsg-could-forced-confront-thiago-21529874#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

From the article:

"In other words, if Naby Keita can stay injury-free and finally consistently live up to his £52.75m price-tag, earning a contract extension of his own in the process, or Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones stake a serious claim to make a starting berth their own on a weekly basis, the Spaniard is the man likely to drop out."

I'm not sure Thiago has much to worry about just yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I got as far as the mention that IF Keita can "finally live up to" his promise.  I'm no fan of Thiago but Keita is not the answer, never will be.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't read anything into the article to be honest. 

I've not been sold on him, he seems too slow to play in our style, but then I think about how long Klopp held Fabinho back while he turned him into the player he wanted, and when you consider Thiago had an injury-plagued season on top of that, we may not have seen all he's got to offer in this side just yet. 

I think people forget how good Thiago was the last 9/10 games of the season when we needed to win all our games he pretty much ran the show in midfield, had a slow start granted but he’s fucking class, the Echo have got a hard on for him for some reason and in the same breath they pass Henderson off as Zidane and sing his praises, what a strange bunch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

I think people forget how good Thiago was the last 9/10 games of the season when we needed to win all our games he pretty much ran the show in midfield, had a slow start granted but he’s fucking class, the Echo have got a hard on for him for some reason and in the same breath they pass Henderson off as Zidane and sing his praises, what a strange bunch.

Probably have something to do with Henderson being superb for us and Thiago being dogshit from day one.

• Downvote 4

Just now, Bjornebye said:

He was shit when he was injured to be fair. 

He was shit when he was injured

He’s not a six

He’s not suited to the left hand side 

He’ll be better when he’s on the right with Fabinho and Henderson as the other two.

The list of excuses is endless and if fitness was such a concern the cunt shouldn’t have fucked off to the Euros carrying an injury to sit on Spain’s bench.

Never heard such a list of excuses for a player whose done so little since Aquilani.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He was shit when he was injured

He’s not a six

He’s not suited to the left hand side 

He’ll be better when he’s on the right with Fabinho and Henderson as the other two.

The list of excuses is endless and if fitness was such a concern the cunt shouldn’t have fucked off to the Euros carrying an injury to sit on Spain’s bench.

Never heard such a list of excuses for a player whose done so little since Aquilani.

What have you got against him? 

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What have you got against him? 

Grinch leaned in to him being a bad signing when we were linked. Then when we signed him, he called him our Xabi replacement, presumably because he didn't have the balls to stay with his original opinion. And since then he's gone back to thinking he's shit even in games when he's objectively played well. Essentially, Grinch is completely clueless.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Absolute bollocks statement that.

It's partly right though. Thiago was pretty poor until late in the season before finishing very strongly. Unfortunately the end of the season has reset Thiago back to having to start again. Hendo was excellent but his injury fucked his season up from Feb/March until May. I love Henderson as a player but I want him to be told 'Liverpool or England' although it wont happen of course. The internationals and the inevitable injuries are the biggest threat to our season as they go hand in hand. Henderson in particular but pretty much everybody in a small squad.