You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Play your best players in their best positions. It’s not hard.

Sometimes it isn't though. When you have have Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones and Milner all fit and available its really fucking hard to leave 3 of them on the bench when Rhys Williams is in the team. With hindsight it looks like taking Fab from midfield was a mistake but let's not pretend it was easy.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dave u said:

Have we got a spreadsheet for this?

I was considering making one now during Easter, but whatever the question is, the answer is to play Fabinho and Thiago together with Gini or someone else as often as possible for the rest of the season. 

So I did not bother with it. 

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

Ox scores goals, wouldn’t make sense to play him at Full back as we have no one else other than our wide forwards who contribute goals on a regular basis. Not even our number 9 unfortunately. He hasn’t been great since he came back, his touch isn’t quite back and he might have lost a bit of his explosiveness but he’s always been a decent crosser of the ball. I think this must have been idea that Howie got in his head but must have stuck somehow. Just take my word for it mate.

Chamberlain is average at best and nothing like a full back,let alone a decent full back. Its nonsense to speak about him playing there when he can barely manage three game in a row in midfield. Its a stupid idea and has probably never crossed Klopp's mind.

I think playing Trent in midfield under Klopp would be an accident waiting to happen.  The way we play our full backs is complicated, takes a lot of training and bottle to play as high as they do in and out of possession.  You can see Trent struggles with it sometimes but it generally plays to his strengths.

Our midfielders on the other hand tend to be more defensive, even the so called number 8’s end up covering for the full backs a lot, well more than the way any other team sets up.  I think Trent would be all over the place trying to cover players running off him.  He’s good at pressing and I think you would see that but you would also be damaging his main strength which is his crossing.  He wouldn’t be in the position to play those balls anywhere near as often.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Lots of great fullbacks could play midfield. It's actually a very interchangeable position. It will probably happen eventually for Trent. Maybe he'll push for it at some point. Kimmich is the obvious example. We shouldn't force it, though.

Who? The only one I could think of are Alves, Lahm and Kimmich.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Sometimes it isn't though. When you have have Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones and Milner all fit and available its really fucking hard to leave 3 of them on the bench when Rhys Williams is in the team. With hindsight it looks like taking Fab from midfield was a mistake but let's not pretend it was easy.

No, our record was still pretty good when Henderson was in the middle. He's the one we shouldn't have moved (and we wouldn't have had to if we'd lined up a replacement early in the window).

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fucking hell Dave, it's like being 8 again! Haha. Next you'll be saying he'd have been alright at right back......... behind the goal. 

You've spoilt next week's punchline now. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why was he even made to defend there in the first place, as one of the men back? Of course if you get him in a full pitch foot race he won't win it. Kroos and Modric wouldn't have won it either in that situation.

Yes having seen his efforts to sprint I do wonder why we are putting him as the last man back on corners, we did it again on the next corner. 

Just to clarify though, I don't mean speed - I mean the actual method of sprinting. 

He wasn't sprinting 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

It’s taken him to get 100% up to speed but he’s been very, very good recently. 

He has. Absolute head and shoulders above everyone yesterday. I can see him proper bossing it next year now.

Cant wait til he fucks off