You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The natural position guy found a cross on the internet.

He is awful at it - if you have watched him throughout his career you would know.

I think you’re talking rubbish here sorry. He’s a good crosser of the ball. Not quite as good as Trent but not many people are.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The natural position guy found a cross on the internet.

He is awful at it - if you have watched him throughout his career you would know.

I don't necessarily think he's awful at anything, other than keeping fit as a footballer. If he played regularly all the things he's inconsistent at would get better. Unfortunately when he builds up a head of steam he pushes his body and it collapses under the strain. Either he needs to not push himself or change team/position or both.

Well, he is awful in the air, in the tackle and can't cross but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Unfortunately he has been at his worst this last time back - bordering on useless except for a spell running around up top at the end of one match.

Klopp has shown to be very willing to play midfielders at fullback - the difference being the two fellas he has used are both very tactically aware (not one of AoC's strengths either) and both quite good at crossing.

My uneducated guess is Trent had more assists before he turned 21 than Chamberlain has had in his career. 

• Upvote 1

Ox scores goals, wouldn’t make sense to play him at Full back as we have no one else other than our wide forwards who contribute goals on a regular basis. Not even our number 9 unfortunately. He hasn’t been great since he came back, his touch isn’t quite back and he might have lost a bit of his explosiveness but he’s always been a decent crosser of the ball. I think this must have been idea that Howie got in his head but must have stuck somehow. Just take my word for it mate.

• Downvote 1

No biggie - not the first time I have disagreed with your take on a player.

On this part "Ox scores goals" - he has scored a couple important golas but he is hardly prolific - probably 1 in 10. For us and his career.

I don't think he is being played to his strengths right now. He is not nearly as good in tight spaces as our other midfielders and is useless wide in the front three.

Would rather see him get the odd 20 minutes through the middle at this point.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

On this part "Ox scores goals" - he has scored a couple important golas but he is hardly prolific - probably 1 in 10. For us and his career.

I don't think he is being played to his strengths right now. He is not nearly as good in tight spaces as our other midfielders and is useless wide in the front three.

Chamberlain,Wijnaldum, Henderson and Keita score very 10/11 league games.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

H was out 4th highest scorer last season; 8 goals from 20 starts. He had a better goal-per-minute ratio than our number 9 last year. Also, he scored 5 goals from 18 starts in his first season before he got injured. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He can't stay fit.

Put it this way - if he had gotten the opportunities Minamino did through the middle I think he would have scored some goals. Certainly more than 1.

I think a bit of each of the three above so working against him. Nice lad though.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've often wondered if Trent could play another position. And maybe not the role Henderson plays, but if we end up in maybe a 4231 shape he can play the wide right or maybe even a 10 role. Some of his positional play, his short game and shooting is massively understimated or perhaps overshadowed by his crossing, he's a unbelievable footballer. In klopps world maybe he gets the most space in that right back birth, but I can't help but think there's another player we could find inside Trent if we asked him to do other things. I'd certainly be positive about the idea of buying a quality right back that would allow him to explore other positions. It's another reason I wouldn't mind us trying chamberlain at right back. The lad can't get on the pitch right now, maybe he could give us 20 matches a year at right back and allow Trent to explore more forward positions. 

I think Trent is a brilliant footballer, with a skillset meaning he could definately play other positions.

But expect from entertaiment value, I do find your post interesting, my main question is what would we hope to achieve? I dont find it very likely that Trent would be significantly better in midfield that the alternatives. And I definately dont believe we’ll find a better right back than him, at least not in out system. We’re perfectly set up to benefit from his main qualities by playing him at RB, and we’re making him the best player in the world in his position in the prosess. Why exactly would we want to change that?

You dont have to look further than Fabinho. He can definately play CB, RB and probably LB as well if needed. That doesnt mean it’s a good idea to take him out of the position where he’s one of the best around.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I think Trent is a brilliant footballer, with a skillset meaning he could definately play other positions.

But expect from entertaiment value, I do find your post interesting, my main question is what would we hope to achieve? I dont find it very likely that Trent would be significantly better in midfield that the alternatives. And I definately dont believe we’ll find a better right back than him, at least not in out system. We’re perfectly set up to benefit from his main qualities by playing him at RB, and we’re making him the best player in the world in his position in the prosess. Why exactly would we want to change that?

You dont have to look further than Fabinho. He can definately play CB, RB and probably LB as well if needed. That doesnt mean it’s a good idea to take him out of the position where he’s one of the best around.

I completely get that idea. But football changes. Teams evolve, opposition teams find ways to counter threats, you lose players or they get to the end of their effectiveness.  So I'm not saying it's something we must do, but I see no issue if we explore it. Personally I think Trent has the ability to get himself in the top 5 players on the planet, but he won't be considered that at right back. While he's not perhaps as physical as Bale was at his best, I think he has the potential to be a better footballer as his passing and positional play is better. Bale at his best was in that bracket. I think Trent can get to that level. 

Depends on the system - moving from fullback into a 442 (Zanetti) or in Lahm and Kimmich being part of a DM two is alot different than moving into our system. 

I don't think there is enough upside that Klopp would essentially blow up our ethos to accommodate Trent in a different formation. Think that would be necessary.

23 hours ago, Code said:

No.

Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson have started just one game together in midfield, the derby when Thiago and Van Dijk got injured. 

Van Dijk - Matip lasted 11 minutes. 

Jota was on the bench. 

Have we got a spreadsheet for this?