You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You should have been a tennis player with backhanded compliments like that. And its also a crock of shit.

Henderson is not a player I naturally love - but I'm not the natural love type of footy follower.  I think they last bloke I loved, rather than admired, was Kevin Keegan when I was about 10.

But I've been pretty hysterically in love with the club and the football team itself - and I reckon Henderson ticks that box pretty well.

Even, say, as far back as his getting sent off against City in 2014 - I reckon that affected our not winning the title.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He and Kimmich covered a record amount of ground last season together in CL. Now, Kimmich is a machine but to say Thiago does not get around the pitch at a high rate is not true.

You can see he gets all over the pitch - I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the top 3 re distance covered.

9 hours ago, skaro said:

You rated Lallana above Henderson, and you don't really rate Henderson from what I've read over the years.  Perhaps neither did I.

I think you have a certain aesthetics criteria when you judge players.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing - I'm a big agreer with you oft times, Stringy - I was just commenting on what I perceive to be your standpoint.

There is an element of that, but I can admire unspectacular players who are in there to put the hard yards in.  We had a good few of those in our most successful period.  I just didn’t think Henderson was that good for most of his time here.  He wasn’t.  All I’m doing is acknowledging he’s become a much better player in the last 3 years and was an important part of our recent success.  

It was his foul against Southampton, but when you see it from a different angle, he doesn't actually touch the player with his arm. The players reacts as if he'd been pulled back. He is being penalised by the different ref standards that we face compared to our opponents. It was never a foul.

I was thinking, he must be confused, comes to English league, toughest league, not all them soft foreign leagues, refs let a lot more go, yet everytime he goes near someone a foul is given. I think he is learning this and changing his style slightly.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, stringvest said:

There is an element of that, but I can admire unspectacular players who are in there to put the hard yards in.  We had a good few of those in our most successful period.  I just didn’t think Henderson was that good for most of his time here.  He wasn’t.  All I’m doing is acknowledging he’s become a much better player in the last 3 years and was an important part of our recent success.  

Good to see you've finally come around re Kuyt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Had one of his better games for us last night, still not great but hopefully going in the right direction.  Along with the rest of the team, hopefully?

His reaction to being subbed though (if that's what it was) took the piss.  But it could have been about something else.

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Another yellow to put him one away from a ban. I wish he'd stay on his feet as his tackling is terrible.

Not quite. The '5 yellows = 1 match ban' is only up if a player picks up 5 yellow cards in his team's first 19 matches. If he picks up 10 yellows by their 32nd match, it's a 2-match ban.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Moo said:

Had one of his better games for us last night, still not great but hopefully going in the right direction.  Along with the rest of the team, hopefully?

His reaction to being subbed though (if that's what it was) took the piss.  But it could have been about something else.

did you think? i thought he and gini were just awful last night to be honest. he did play one really nice short vertical pass for that mane chance (of everything i have seen of him up to now, that is his best skill), but aside from that he gave away the ball too often when not under pressure, gave away too many fouls and mostly looked a bit like he was playing with a hangover. 

• Upvote 1

He's clearly world class but agreed on his tackling, he's an animal. Thats a few games now where you couldn't have complained if he got sent off. Them mad eyes he does as well, I don't know if it's great that he's clearly a lunatic or its really weird. Not arsed about him being unhappy to be taken off, we can't afford another malingering twat. 

I think if the team was still demolishing oppositions then he would be great but does he add anything much to a struggling side other than misplaced aggression ?  He was not far away from a red card last night and Klopp was 100% right to hook him. I was edge every time he went in for a challenge and frankly with the ball he was wasteful with the notable exception of the pass to Mane. 

14 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think if the team was still demolishing oppositions then he would be great but does he add anything much to a struggling side other than misplaced aggression ?  He was not far away from a red card last night and Klopp was 100% right to hook him. I was edge every time he went in for a challenge and frankly with the ball he was wasteful with the notable exception of the pass to Mane. 

iirc (but i was pissed, so maybe i am wrong), his pass was to salah and salah on to mane. it was a cracking pass though and brilliantly weighted, he made it easy for salah. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

iirc (but i was pissed, so maybe i am wrong), his pass was to salah and salah on to mane. it was a cracking pass though and brilliantly weighted, he made it easy for salah. 

It was and no doubt he has some class touches in games. Does that outweigh the stupid tackles and wasteful distribution ? I guess if we win it does but he is a lot better than the player that pulled on a Liverpool shirt at the start of the season despite the injury lay off.  

Overall he’s been good for us, and some of the criticism against him has been totally ridiculous.

Last night was his worst perfomance for is so far I thought, too many fouls and giving the ball away too many times. Winning it back, on the ground and in the air, was good as in all games, but overall I thought he had a rather poor game last night.

• Upvote 1

The fouling isn't ideal although I don't especially care because he also wins the ball a tonne. He's not gonna get sent off, he's not an idiot.

The problem yesterday was his touch was just bad. That shouldn't happen. The whole midfield was poor against Wolves, which is the issue. In general, the thing he must bring us is midfield superiority, which we did not have. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The fouling isn't ideal although I don't especially care because he also wins the ball a tonne. He's not gonna get sent off, he's not an idiot.

The problem yesterday was his touch was just bad. That shouldn't happen. The whole midfield was poor against Wolves, which is the issue. In general, the thing he must bring us is midfield superiority, which we did not have. 

Wijnaldum had a shocker, which didn't help.

11 minutes ago, magicrat said:

It was and no doubt he has some class touches in games. Does that outweigh the stupid tackles and wasteful distribution ? I guess if we win it does but he is a lot better than the player that pulled on a Liverpool shirt at the start of the season despite the injury lay off.  

for me there is no way the one or two passes he makes like that a game make up for the rest of his all round play. most matches he's been somewhere from average to shocking for me. perhaps he will improve with more Fabinho, but what do we do if fabinho gets injured again, just accept Thiago can't perform? 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

did you think? i thought he and gini were just awful last night to be honest. he did play one really nice short vertical pass for that mane chance (of everything i have seen of him up to now, that is his best skill), but aside from that he gave away the ball too often when not under pressure, gave away too many fouls and mostly looked a bit like he was playing with a hangover. 

Yes I did think.  Won't argue that he gave the ball away too much, a couple of very poor passes in particular stood out.  And the less said about his tackling the better.

But last night I thought he was more forward thinking and a bit more in tune to how we want to play.  That could also be to do with better movement ahead of him, and Fabinho behind - but whatever the reason there was less going backwards from him.  That is my biggest bugbear with Thiago, slowing our attacking momentum down, playing a backward pass then pointing to where the receiver should play it next.  He did less of that which pleased me, but he still wouldn't be my first choice if we had all options, nowhere near.