You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Just now, Red74 said:

Henderson was giving him loads after he gave that free kick away for their first goal. He’s turned into the Lucas Leiva replacement we

never asked for. 

An interesting comparison. Today to be honest I was thinking he looks like a slow nabby keita. He tries to do all the things keita has been doing badly for 2 years and somehow doesn't do them better. 

13 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Ask Guardiola if he'd have him. 

He'd snap your hand off. 

Leave him alone. 

Not sure what the point of that is. We're different teams. Nobody is saying (or not what I've read) he would not be good for a guardiola team. But he's fucking miles away from improving us and I can't understand how anyone is seeing him as a good fit right now..and maybe if things were different and he had time to bed in, he could play with fabinho and Henderson it would be a different world, but that's not the world we have. We've signed a world class player and we need him to be one and not a fucking tropical fish where if the environment isn't perfect he's done for. Right now Curtis Jones is over shadowing him and that could be because Curtis is setting the world alight..but it's not. It's because he's just contributing more by being a decent addition from the u23s. 

• Upvote 2

The lad's probably thinking what the fuck's going on here?

I think today was probably his poorest display. Tried a few too many fancy step overs and drag backs.I admire confidence in players but make sure the ball gets to a teammate.

Think he's kopping a lot of flak because we're getting some diabolical decisions against us and results have been poor.

53 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not sure what the point of that is. We're different teams. Nobody is saying (or not what I've read) he would not be good for a guardiola team. But he's fucking miles away from improving us and I can't understand how anyone is seeing him as a good fit right now..and maybe if things were different and he had time to bed in, he could play with fabinho and Henderson it would be a different world, but that's not the world we have. We've signed a world class player and we need him to be one and not a fucking tropical fish where if the environment isn't perfect he's done for. Right now Curtis Jones is over shadowing him and that could be because Curtis is setting the world alight..but it's not. It's because he's just contributing more by being a decent addition from the u23s. 

I don’t think he was bought to boss midfield. He is a part of a tight fitting jigsaw puzzle. Unfortunately, the other two pieces are out of place in the puzzle. Or not in the puzzle at all. He was bought to strengthen the squad, but as we allknow, the squad is seriously weakened.

With Fab and Hendo in midfield, in my honest opinion, we’d have a much better player.

He needs to stop being so rash in the challenge. 

The reality is, he needs Henderson and Fabinho in the midfield with him and you will see him be the player we signed. I still think he's boss and we will see the best of him. I'd rather we had him than didn't. 

• Upvote 1

It's a shite cliche but it really does feel like he tries 'too hard'. The greatest thing about the team Klopp has built is that despite the superstars in the team... It at least did feel like a genuine team. Not a group of individuals thrown together. 

Some of the little tricks, steps over etc are pissing me off. The three we had in the middle last season done everything simple. Pressed the ball aggressively and moved forward together quickly. Desperately need to see fab, Henderson and Gini start together again to at least get some familiarity to things. Unlikely now until next season.

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

The reason he didn't start today was because he hasn't trained all week and wasn't fully fit.

We played well today, before and after he came on. I really don't understand the constant criticism of him?  

This was his worst game for us so far. He was fairly average in this game, and has played well in most of the others. The lack of full fitness yesterday was probably the reason for the weaker performance.

41 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This was his worst game for us so far. He was fairly average in this game, and has played well in most of the others. The lack of full fitness yesterday was probably the reason for the weaker performance.

What's his excuse for the rest of the season? 

Maybe it's Jones, wignaldum or milner who deserve to be beside fab and hendo cause the so called world class one has been the weakest of the four by quite some distance. 

• Upvote 1

He hadn't been very good but I'm still eager to see him fit into our team when it isn't completely fucked by injuries and filled with over played players.

How long is Keita out for, I dont rate him but the likes of Gini are struggling and Ox is a completely pointless footballer for me who offers nothing other than taking the odd shot and keeping the medical team busy.

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

What's his excuse for the rest of the season? 

Maybe it's Jones, wignaldum or milner who deserve to be beside fab and hendo cause the so called world class one has been the weakest of the four by quite some distance. 

Is lack of full fitness an excuse? He didnt train the days before the match, there was obviously a reason for that.

If you think players can walk out and perform at 100% at this level without full fitness, then good, it’s just an excuse I guess. 

Looking back at the bad period yesterday, some things were clear. 

1.  He wasn't supposed to play that much of the game, if any, as he hadn't trained all week. 

2.  He had a bit of shit luck, at one point he was closing down the Leicester defence and the ball was smacked against him and just went to the feet of a nearby Leicester player.  

3. Curtis Jones was giving away the ball and not getting to opponents quick enough, and Gini did the same, so players were breaking through gaps in the midfield, and Thiago was not only trying to hold his own position and offering cover to the full backs, but also having to get across and deal with that.  

4.  Trent was caught out so often, and Kabak was on the right of CB, so Thiago was always being dragged into that gap to help cover.  He was having to be everywhere, there was far too much work on his plate.  

5.  He didn't foul Barnes. When you watch the replay Barnes throws his leg so hard at Trent to feign the foul that he bends Trent's knee back. Thiago didn't do anything. 

Barnes had already dived to get Kabak a yellow card about 5 mins  earlier. 

6. Steve Mcmanaman's commentary around the 'foul' was loud and wrong.  "Very rash challenge from Thiago, what was he doing dangling his foot there?". 

These are the three sequential stills of the 'foul', with no dangling foot or rash challenge.  Just a cheating twat who almost injures Trent.

PXL_20210214_223043298_MP.thumb.jpg.eafd0b0bd53ec91cbcd2ee41f226d18c.jpg1113822333_PXL_20210214_223112211_MP2.thumb.jpg.5819d7287755f04bc8846a70a83a35b6.jpgPXL_20210214_223129452.thumb.jpg.85c62157fd02ac3b099ac425ed6e53ae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Brownie said:

Barnes actually does that cunts trick of kicking his right leg out to con the ref.

Never a foul in a million years.

This is one of the problems with the low standard of refereeing nowadays,it looks like they've never played the game at all. Even though most of us here didnt get past Junior football or Sunday League we all know one or two 'tricks' of the trade and can spot them a mile away. Referees appear not to have at all.