You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

I think it’s him showing he’s up for the fight.  The English game is known for being more physical. It’s nowhere like what it used to be but you can’t be scared to put your foot in.  Personally I think his attitude has been the best thing about him.  I’m probably jinxing him here but he’s intelligent enough to not get a second yellow stupidly.  As code said his yellow against Spurs was hardly a foul and nowhere near a booking.

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

I think it’s him showing he’s up for the fight.  The English game is known for being more physical. It’s nowhere like what it used to be but you can’t be scared to put your foot in.  Personally I think his attitude has been the best thing about him.  I’m probably jinxing him here but he’s intelligent enough to not get a second yellow stupidly.  As code said his yellow against Spurs was hardly a foul and nowhere near a booking.

Yeah i agree. I love that he's up for the physical side and putting his foot in. Got a bit of a dirty in him and you need a bit of that! Tactical fouls too. He might get sent off eventually but fuck it, it's worth the risk. He has to make up for his lack of pace someway. On the ball and further forward he was really good last night.

As soon as we took him off yesterday the defence and keeper couldn't get the ball into midfield and through to the forwards as easily. Boss player and will only get better in the next 2/3 years under Klopp. 

On 25/01/2021 at 22:04, 3 Stacks said:

Fabinho was poor when he started. Same questions about how slow he looked. We should not discount Thiago as an option in that position. Although, again as we already have Fabinho, he wouldn't have to play there anyway when we have fit centre backs. He'll likely replace Wijnaldum in the long run. 

The thing is when fabinho came in (and his issues were more he was used to playing in a deep lying 2 imo) we had other players to play there while he found his feet. And we also had to find ways to make it work because he'd been bought to play there. We saw the other night an improved performance from thiago, but he still looked shocking going backwards. Keep him in the 8, he's a liability in the 6 and Gini I think plays that role pretty well. He doesn't play it like fabinho, but I like the job he does there - in fact I prefer him there than the 8 position. And who knows, those cunts in Boston might even get us a centre back and we can add Henderson back to the midfield mix. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reserve judgement until see him in a functioning midfield, although i can see the argument against him at the mo and how he is a part of a midfield that is not functioning....

Now that is not all his fault, but i did think maybe he might have brought some answers to the issues, he hasn't yet.

But lets see what he is like when things are different.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He was decent again.  We completely went to pot when he went off.  The cast is set now though in the eyes of crying cunts.  If we get beat it’s his fault and if we win complete silence.

What it is, is when we sign him from Bayern and everyone who's seen him play and know how good he is, say how good a signing he was going to be, you had the opposite end of the spectrum. The people who'd never seen him and pretend that watching other leagues and clubs is weird behaviour, who could go against the grain and pretend he's not a top signing, not that good, etc... Those people will never admit when he plays well and he'll likely never be good enough. 

His Anfield record is so bad it's killed off Sadio's near-perfect Anfield record. Sadio hadn't lost a league game at Anfield until Burnley last month, and that includes his time at Southampton! Thiago's first league game at Anfield was the United game. His only other game before that was the 0-0 when he was a Bayern player.

Of course it's not down to him as we haven't been able to use him the way Klopp and co would have envisaged because firstly he got Covid, and then that knee injury at Everton. During that time, we've been decimated by injuries in a key position.

The only time he's been in the team when we've been able to pick anything like a first-choice central defence was on his debut at Chelsea. Even then he came on when we were up against 10 men.

We haven't seen the best of him, but we also haven't been able to include him with our strongest players around him.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I thought he was fine. The midfield was good. Certainly not on him or any of the others that we lost this game.

No. Its strange how the people that love laying in to him didn't do it after the Spurs and West Ham games?

I genuinely don't know what some people expect from him?

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

His Anfield record is so bad it's killed off Sadio's near-perfect Anfield record. Sadio hadn't lost a league game at Anfield until Burnley last month, and that includes his time at Southampton! Thiago's first league game at Anfield was the United game. His only other game before that was the 0-0 when he was a Bayern player.

Of course it's not down to him as we haven't been able to use him the way Klopp and co would have envisaged because firstly he got Covid, and then that knee injury at Everton. During that time, we've been decimated by injuries in a key position.

The only time he's been in the team when we've been able to pick anything like a first-choice central defence was on his debut at Chelsea. Even then he came on when we were up against 10 men.

We haven't seen the best of him, but we also haven't been able to include him with our strongest players around him.

Hendo, Fabinho, Wijnaldum

For me our best midfield.

Now obviously the centre half situation makes that a distant memory at present, so question is does Hendo, Thiago, Wijnaldum if that was put out stand up?

Or next season with Wijnaldum gone is Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago gonna be as good?

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

No. Its strange how the people that love laying in to him didn't do it after the Spurs and West Ham games?

I genuinely don't know what some people expect from him?

Like I said, it's an ego thing. When people say player x is a great player, but you never saw him play, you're just waiting to tell people how you don't see it and "actually, he's not as good as people say he is ". It's quite transparent at this point.

Made easier by the fact virtually the whole team is underperforming and he's now a part of this team.

Totally agree it's too soon to judge or to write him off, and that other issues in midfield and defence are likely impacting his performance.  I'd also suggest that if it wasn't for injuries (including his own let's not forget) Klopp wouldn't be playing him this much and would have tried to gradually integrate him. But he's got to work harder, I don't think I've seen a more casual midfielder in our team for a long time, he makes Can look energetic.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Hendo, Fabinho, Wijnaldum

For me our best midfield.

Now obviously the centre half situation makes that a distant memory at present, so question is does Hendo, Thiago, Wijnaldum if that was put out stand up?

Or next season with Wijnaldum gone is Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago gonna be as good?

The three of the were perfectly suited to our system last season. 

Our system doesn't work as well without VVD in it, and to a lesser extent Gomez though. If we had Lovren and Matip in our team this season and were able to play the same midfield three as last year, we'd still have a lot of the same problems that we currently have.  

There's obviously a lot more factors at play but our bad form has coincided a little with him coming in so it's understandable why he'd be questioned.  Our record in all competitions when he's started and hasn't is very stark.

Without him W15 D7 L2

With him W2 D2 L5

The hope was he'd offer something to help us unlock teams. The form of others hasn't helped him on that but he's not contributed anything to our forward play since coming back into the team and seems to spend most of his game sitting very deep.

Defensively he's averaging more fouls per 90 minutes than any other player in the league and at Old Trafford in particular his lack of pace was exposed big time.

He's clearly very talented but I'm very much on the fence about whether he's what we need.