You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Agreed. He's world class and has shown in glimpses what he's capable of, just needs to stay fit. I don't know what his injury record is like, I'm hoping he's not a Rob Jones and it was just an unfortunate start. Not the first player to fall foul of an everton yard dog over the years. 

Don't remember a cunt wearing blue taking Rob Jones out at the knee, to be fair.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Think some are putting all their expectations on both him and Jota during this poor run. Southampton showed when the team's playing poorly, there's no single player who makes the difference to the result.

We need to get out of this slump and quick.

Reminds me of this place a few years ago when we weren’t very good. All the injured players kept improving, the longer they were out the better they got.

Agree by the way, our drop in form isn’t mainly about individual players.

On 10/01/2021 at 23:02, ManéMan said:

To be fair, we have been beating opposition set up like that very consistently for the last few seasons without him. Saying that, he clearly does seem to add a different solution to that problem so all the better. Will be sight to behold when the team as a whole click again, and get Van Dijk back also!

We have been beating sides like that. It's also important to note as impressive as thiago has looked he's been on the pitch in 4 games and we've got just 5 points and 3 of them were in a game where the opposition were already down to 10 men and we were winning when he came on. So it could be we have a bit of a learning curve while the team gets used to where he's going to play it and he needs to understand the runs that our forwards make that make goals. And I've not looked at his pressing stats, I think that was something he was great at in Munich, but he probably needs to learn how we press because that works because of team effort. What we need right now is to start getting 3 points in every game, so we need to start seeing results from thiago every bit as much as the rest of them as we have no time to play with each others cocks. Thiago is pleasing on the eye when you glance at him, somehow we need to start getting that to translate into goals and points. 

Showed again today that he’s simply world class. A joy to watch, and the best player on the field by some distance in the first half.

Like the rest of the team he ran out of steam a bit as the game went on. He’s probably also not on his best physical form yet after a long time out.

Looks a great signing, 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Showed again today that he’s simply world class. A joy to watch, and the best player on the field by some distance in the first half.

Like the rest of the team he ran out of steam a bit as the game went on. He’s probably also not on his best physical form yet after a long time out.

Looks a great signing, 

He might even create a chance in his 3rd game.  That'll show he's really top class.  In his 3rd start. 

• Downvote 1

He's been good without a doubt and looks a classy player, but I'd want to see him having a tangible influence on the team before I start thinking of him as some type of saviour. It's a tough set of circumstances for his first real run of games.

I like how he's good for a decent long shot, which is something we lack. He also does a lot of sliding tackles, which I like, but it makes me a little nervous at the same time. 

I think he sees the game better than our forwards at the moment. I watched him closely and at times and he was looking into spaces expecting someone to be there when they were simply hugging the 18 yard line looking for a ball over the top.

7 hours ago, Grinch said:

He might even create a chance in his 3rd game.  That'll show he's really top class.  In his 3rd start. 

Tough crowd. He did produce one good shot from outside the area yesterday. A chance he created on his own. Unfortunately the shot went straight at De Gea, but it still troubled him.

Dont know what you expect from a player in that position, to me it’s obvious he’s a world class player.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Tough crowd. He did produce one good shot from outside the area yesterday. A chance he created on his own. Unfortunately the shot went straight at De Gea, but it still troubled him.

Dont know what you expect from a player in that position, to me it’s obvious he’s a world class player.

So he hit it right at de gea once, resulting in a easy camera save.  Did fuck all else and that's all you can expect? 

He'd need to get a whole lot better than not or he's never gonna justify even half the hype. 

Not putting the ball out of ball by a mile when an easy pass would have had Salah one on one would have been a nice start. 

I am completely underwhelmed by him. @Qwikage mentions about him looking for passes into spaces our forwards aren't in. We've had a system that has worked fine for years and for the 1st time under klopp goals have dried up. Perhaps he needs to sit down and watch a few videos of our forwards and see what they thrive off rather than expecting 3 players to change their game for him, because his passes into them are not arriving quickly enough and we're a piece of piss to defend against. We've got a group of lads who have proved they can do it in this league and score on a regular basis, in fact almost every single match and then we bring someone in who isn't passing to them in the way they want and somehow our forwards who've won us a league and european cup are the ones to blame. As far as I am concerned, he needs to step the fuck up. Our record with him on the pitch is fucking shit. If we could get 2 centre backs on the pitch, he wouldn't be in my midfield 3 right now. 

• Downvote 1

I like the look of him so far and think he offers us something different -a bit of finesse which should prove invaluable in those games we dominate but can't break down the ten man defence. He should also get better as he regains full match fitness and gets more used to our system and the service the forwards prefer. 

But he is a bit slow and we need to be playing two hard-pressing midfielders alongside him. Henderson and Fab preferably.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

He's been good without a doubt and looks a classy player, but I'd want to see him having a tangible influence on the team before I start thinking of him as some type of saviour. It's a tough set of circumstances for his first real run of games.

I like how he's good for a decent long shot, which is something we lack. He also does a lot of sliding tackles, which I like, but it makes me a little nervous at the same time. 

It's very unusual for our style and I think it compensates for a lack of pace. I would like to see him further forward with Hendo and Gini doing his running for him. Get him near the opponent's box. Seeing him playing in that QB role without proper defenders behind him makes me very nervous.  

In the unlikely event that we  ever get a freekick near an opponent's area, I would like to see him kick the ball at the goal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

So he hit it right at de gea once, resulting in a easy camera save.  Did fuck all else and that's all you can expect? 

He'd need to get a whole lot better than not or he's never gonna justify even half the hype. 

Not putting the ball out of ball by a mile when an easy pass would have had Salah one on one would have been a nice start. 

What a load of shite. He was easily our most dangerous and creative player. his brain is ahead of where our attackers is right now but it will click. One stray ball what about all the others ? You're looking for a reason to moan here. As rubble has just said, one Fabinho is behind him he will have more freedom but the quality is there for all to see. 

• Upvote 3

Thiago doesnt need to be a whippet on the pitch so long as his brain is quicker than the oppos. I think the lad will be a great addition to the team especially as his fitness builds over the next 5 to 10 games.

He also had the gumption to take a pot at De Gea when Mo, Sadio and Bobby were firing blanks or wide of the goal.

• Upvote 1

It's very hard to assess at the moment but he did noticeably slow our play down yesterday, his style is very casual and I thought at times that may have rubbed off on the other players.  It's early days though and he's clearly a classy player.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He wasn’t bought to play in a midfield absent both Fabinho and Henderson, that’s for sure.

His best two performances, in which he looked like one of the very best players on the pitch, were against Chelsea and Everton. Why do you think that is?

So you're saying he can only play in one team formation?