You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Definitely needs to start the derby. 

Ancelotti has done well against us over recent years playing 4-4-2, putting pressure on our centre half’s to stop the diagonal pass and if the pass does come, his sides are spread enough across the width of the pitch to stop the full backs exploiting space.

Thiago will make it different. 

The Ev will obviously want to press Thiago, but he’s so good and calm on the ball, the chances of them getting it off him, unless they press 2v1, aren’t brilliant. 

And if they do try and press 2v1, it leaves significant gaps elsewhere on the pitch. We’re that good, we don’t need much.

And if we get through a press and they get everybody behind the ball, his disguise on the pass is exceptional, making us more unpredictable. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Definitely needs to start the derby. 

Ancelotti has done well against us over recent years playing 4-4-2, putting pressure on our centre half’s to stop the diagonal pass and if the pass does come, his sides are spread enough across the width of the pitch to stop the full backs exploiting space.

Thiago will make it different. 

The Ev will obviously want to press Thiago, but he’s so good and calm on the ball, the chances of them getting it off him, unless they press 2v1, aren’t brilliant. 

And if they do try and press 2v1, it leaves significant gaps elsewhere on the pitch. We’re that good, we don’t need much.

And if we get through a press and they get everybody behind the ball, his disguise on the pass is exceptional, making us more unpredictable. 

I can't see ancelotti not sticking with the 433 he's played all season. 

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't see ancelotti not sticking with the 433 he's played all season. 

Very possibly when they have the ball but he’s stopped us playing so well over the past 3 seasons with a similar tactic, I’d be very surprised that when Adrian or VVD or somebody has the ball, James or Richarldson will be pressing with Calvert-Lewin while the other one drops back to make it a midfield 4.

Either way, I think Thiago is key next week. Given the shambolic midfield performance at Villa, I’d have him supported by Hendo & Milner - that sort of capitulation wouldn’t happen on their watch. 

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago 

No way I’d leave Fabinho out of this. He needs to bully Doucoure who has been doing exactly that for them all season so

far. 

Given Matip will probably be injured & Gomez’s lack of form, I’d have him at centre back.

They can tell themselves whatever bullish stories they like about things being different now, the psychological scars run so deep and they always, always struggle mentally when they’re expected to take the game to us. Even last season under Ancelotti our kids team put them out of the FA Cup. As Jeff says to Mark in Peep Show, “There’s no threat from you, pal. You could have your cock in her. You still wouldn’t have the balls to fuck.”

They simply have to start well and get ahead early to win this one for me, or their doubts will resurface quicker than Covid in a windowless staff room. So important we can get our leaders out on the pitch, Hendo an absolute must and just have to hope Mane and Thiago are available again or we still look a bit threadbare. Strictly no passing the ball back to Adrian early to gift them the sense of us being vulnerable cheaply and instead allowing us to build a base for the game while their nervous energy wears them out.

We’re the best side in Europe. This derby run only ends when we allow standards to slip and the fatalistic sense of “They’re due one” to become self-fulfilling prophecy. Be more than a decade without a single win over us if we take this, and after their decent start and our humiliation at Villa, all that context should see this one approached like a cup final by us for once. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Very possibly when they have the ball but he’s stopped us playing so well over the past 3 seasons with a similar tactic, I’d be very surprised that when Adrian or VVD or somebody has the ball, James or Richarldson will be pressing with Calvert-Lewin while the other one drops back to make it a midfield 4.

Either way, I think Thiago is key next week. Given the shambolic midfield performance at Villa, I’d have him supported by Hendo & Milner - that sort of capitulation wouldn’t happen on their watch. 

A bit controversial , but I'd have a midfield 3 of thiago, Henderson and Jones. I've got to be honest I'm mostly done with milner as a starter, you can see how he's struggling with agility and doesn't move like he did. I'm not saying he can't put effort in and stuff, I just think it's easy to play around him. 

They've played pretty much what I would say is an old 433 this season, 1 has more responsibility as a striker and one in midfield. Depending on the stage of the game and what's happening, that has change which of James and richarlison has done that and that's how I think they'll go. But all the success ancelotti has had against us has been with a different set of players. At Everton he's played us twice, got beat by the kids and we bored each other on restart day, which was probably to be expected. 

I do think though our line up probably needs to be picked once klopp has everyone back. I want us as prepared for this as pissible and I've heard it's possible because of Corona testing cycles the Brazilian players maybe don't get 1 training session with the team and will only be able to join up on saturday morning. If that's the case I'd bench them. Then who knows... No Bobby for instance, do we really surprise them and go 4231? 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Well keita won't be one of the midfield 3

https://readliverpoolfc.com/2020/10/11/keita-the-latest-liverpool-player-to-test-positive-for-covid-19/

Screenshot_20201011-145148.jpg

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is there a chance Matip will be ready?

Good thing about him is he usually plugs right in and plays to his level.

Yeah, no fucking about taking half a dozen games to get up to speed. 

Straight in, high standard from the first minute, injured in the next training session.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1