You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wonder if our performance against Leeds accelerated things?

Don’t think so mate. It has been a long term target, that’s the way FSG operate. There was no hurry to rush, especially if you fancy a nice little discount !

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

I wonder if we will see Fabinho at centre half more than central midfield this season, which leaves room for this many midfielders.

Just now, Jennings said:

This fella any good?

I don't pay new signings much attention until its almost done deal. The very few clips of him I have seen make it look like he plays in Fab's position - which is weird - 'cos we don't really need that covering.

Yes, Fabinhob will be our 4th choice centreback. 

Thiago is capable of playing the 6, 8 or 10 position. Probably why Klopp wanted him so much?

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't pay their wages so I would like all of our midfielders to stay and beef up our efforts over the various competitions but FSG don't seem to work that way, so I can see at least one of the main cast going.

Hendo

Fab

Ox

Thiago 

Gini 

Keita 

BGJ

Jones

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I wonder if we will see Fabinho at centre half more than central midfield this season, which leaves room for this many midfielders.

That was the point I was just going to make to sir Roger... In fact could he actually become 1st choice alongside vvd? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jennings said:

This fella any good?

I don't pay new signings much attention until its almost done deal. The very few clips of him I have seen make it look like he plays in Fab's position - which is weird - 'cos we don't really need that covering.

He's the kind of established world class talent/serial winner at the peak of his powers that we've never signed. So yeah, pretty good. And it will allow Fabinho to be 4th choice CB. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Don’t think so mate. It has been a long term target, that’s the way FSG operate. There was no hurry to rush, especially if you fancy a nice little discount !

The timing just seems a bit weird. I thought we would wait until the last day of the window and make a low offer and say take it or leave it?

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Funny considering Pearce was pouring cold water on the story in an Atheltic Q&A yesterday...

“At this stage, sources at both ends are adamant that there have been no negotiations between Liverpool and Bayern Munich over a fee for Thiago. The only contact has been with the Spain international’s representatives. Why? Firstly, I’ve been told that Liverpool would only make a move for Thiago if another centre midfielder was to leave. Finance is also an issue.

On the face of it, £30 million doesn’t sound much but it is for someone who you could sign on a pre-contract for nothing in January. He would also command wages of about £200,000 per week over a three or four-year period, which is a big commitment for someone who turns 30 this season.

Much depends on what happens with Wijnaldum and what money Liverpool can generate from sales in the coming weeks. Thiago clearly felt he had a move lined up somewhere, given that he said goodbye to his Bayern team-mates at the end of last season and put his house on the market. However, his future remains far from clear. I’d love to see Thiago at Anfield as he’s a class act, but looking at the balance of the squad, I actually think signing another centre-back and another wide attacker are bigger priorities.”

Only shows the Journos haven't a clue whats going on - I find it funny when its announced they all start posting up the updates within minutes of each other - the club have been keeping them in dark for a long time now.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

The timing just seems a bit weird. I thought we would wait until the last day of the window and make a low offer and say take it or leave it?

Most likely the rumours of a deal for Brewster are the significance re timing.

The new Greek left back virtually walked in the door at the same time Lovren was going out the other way.

• Upvote 2

The "Liverpool to 4th" brigade are going to look like ghosts come the end of this season. Absolutely no exaggeration that with this guy in we'll have one of the best world club sides assembled of the past 30 years.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

The "Liverpool to 4th" brigade are going to look like ghosts come the end of this season. Absolutely no exaggeration that with this guy in we'll have one of the best world club sides assembled of the past 30 years.

He definitely pushes us up a notch or two. Now lets get the stingy defence back that we once had.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't pay their wages so I would like all of our midfielders to stay and beef up our efforts over the various competitions but FSG don't seem to work that way, so I can see at least one of the main cast going.

Hendo

Fab

Ox

Thiago 

Gini 

Keita 

BGJ

Jones

The only one I’d be comfortable letting go out of that list would be Ox, I just don’t think he gives us enough. Get decent money for him too.