You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I reckon we will get him in January to save some money.

Nah, I know we're tight, but I think either it'll happen now or a bosman or not at all. I don't see January as a real choice.

I am sure we want to do this now, but the reality is they won't fund it and it has to be internally funded. I don't think we're challenged by the cost as.much as challenged by finding the cash. It's seemed further away in the last days I think because of the talk of 15m for Gini. I don't think we'd let gini go for 15m and then spend say 25m on thiago. I reckon it needs to be near as damn it like for like fee wise. And I think that's why we're seeing stuff about Brewster, is he can perhaps raise the fee we need - and because he's young from a P&L perspective I'm assuming any fee is 100% profit, where Gini will still have a book value of say 5m, so if Barca offer us 15, it's.only a 10m profit booked. 

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nah, I know we're tight, but I think either it'll happen now or a bosman or not at all. I don't see January as a real choice.

I am sure we want to do this now, but the reality is they won't fund it and it has to be internally funded. I don't think we're challenged by the cost as.much as challenged by finding the cash. It's seemed further away in the last days I think because of the talk of 15m for Gini. I don't think we'd let gini go for 15m and then spend say 25m on thiago. I reckon it needs to be near as damn it like for like fee wise. And I think that's why we're seeing stuff about Brewster, is he can perhaps raise the fee we need - and because he's young from a P&L perspective I'm assuming any fee is 100% profit, where Gini will still have a book value of say 5m, so if Barca offer us 15, it's.only a 10m profit booked. 

We don't pay the full fee up front do we? Can we not give them £500 up front now, deposit?

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We don't pay the full fee up front do we? Can we not give them £500 up front now, deposit?

Haha. But he goes as an asset on our books the day we sign him at the fee we paid. As long as there's cash in the bank, from an accounting perspective it doesn't matter if we only put down a 10p deposit! 

Clubs normally back off when a player makes it clear he only wants to go to a particular club. Saves face from headlines 'so and so club snubbed.' That makes werner's quick change of heart all the more surprising but, hey ho.

I guess this comes down to a battle of wills between the clubs. Do Bayern risk losing the player for nothing in 12 months over €5m? Do Liverpool miss out on a player they want for 12 months over the same amount?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I guess this comes down to a battle of wills between the clubs. Do Bayern risk losing the player for nothing over €5m? Do Liverpool miss out on a player they want for 12 months over the same amount?

True. I think the past shows us the player normally gets their way in this type of stand off. Bayern won’t want to lose the money.

Also, if Bayern sign a replacement, would they be more likely to sell? I’ve read they are negotiating for Brozovic from Inter, who in turn want Kante from Chelsea.

So, what's the consensus? 

Obviously we're a little bit strapped for cash, but we can potentially afford 30m. 

Do we spend it now and get the fella we want? Or keep hold of it, try to get him on a free and then have that 30m to splash in a year's time, but risk missing out? 

8 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Obviously we're a little bit strapped for cash, but we can potentially afford 30m. 

Do we spend it now and get the fella we want? Or keep hold of it, try to get him on a free and then have that 30m to splash in a year's time, but risk missing out? 

I think watching Werner sign for Chelsea should be all we need to see to say if you want your man, go get him.

18 minutes ago, Aventus said:

We're not going to spend £30million on someone who will be free in 10 months time. 

8 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Going to Barcelona under Koeman now is a huge risk  Messi will throw his toys out again and get Koeman sacked. Wonder if Leo likes Gini the egotistical Raymond Babbitt looking beautiful. Messi that is.

Yeah seems strange, but they're obviously still a massive draw, they'll increase his wages, he'll get a signing on fee, he'll get to live in a lovely sunny city, and he'll get to play with one of the greatest footballers who's ever lived. Plus I'm guessing he's friendly with Koeman.

I'd much prefer him to stay with us, but I can see why a player who has won all the trophies with us will be tempted for his last big transfer to them. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Good point! But Ox has not worked out at all, IMO. He's basically a cheerleader. Maybe they regret spending that money. 

I dunno, there seems to be a new way of thinking about these things that we don't get.  Players leaving on a free, massive fees with one year left and they don't even cause a raised eyebrow with Klopp.

I think what we're seeing right now is just tactical leaks from both sides.

Gini wants to extend with us, but we won't give him the length of contract he's after so he'll go to Barca who'll give it to him. Bayern want to sell to the highest bidder but they know that the only club Thiago's interested in is Liverpool.

Meanwhile, Liverpool would prefer to upgrade Gini to Thiago, but in the end if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world and we'll just play Gini this season.

In other words, the key player in the whole deal, Liverpool, has no incentive to act quickly. So day after day Bayern brief the press that they're fielding competing offers (not true) and Gini's agent briefs the press about the offers from Barca (true) and Liverpool brief the press that we're happy to keep Gini (also true).

Eventually the most likely outcome is that it will all happen. We'll get essentially the same fee for Gini that we pay for Thiago and that will be the end of it. If I had to guess I'd say 25m euro.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If we get him think that will make us slight favourites for title with no added outlay for front 3 replacement. Therefore for 20 or 30 million good deal. 

4 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think what we're seeing right now is just tactical leaks from both sides.

Gini wants to extend with us, but we won't give him the length of contract he's after so he'll go to Barca who'll give it to him. Bayern want to sell to the highest bidder but they know that the only club Thiago's interested in is Liverpool.

Meanwhile, Liverpool would prefer to upgrade Gini to Thiago, but in the end if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world and we'll just play Gini this season.

In other words, the key player in the whole deal, Liverpool, has no incentive to act quickly. So day after day Bayern brief the press that they're fielding competing offers (not true) and Gini's agent briefs the press about the offers from Barca (true) and Liverpool brief the press that we're happy to keep Gini (also true).

Eventually the most likely outcome is that it will all happen. We'll get essentially the same fee for Gini that we pay for Thiago and that will be the end of it. If I had to guess I'd say 25m euro.

Spot on, agree with you, it’s been negociating for weeks and it will go on, well, for weeks.