You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Some Spanish paper saying Wijnaldum will happen and saying its around 20ml. 

Looks like Coutinho staying top so the last chunk of that fee should come in. 

If that happens then I guess that's the Thiago fee mostly covered. Be interesting if that leads to a slight change of shape in midfield to a 2 sitting and one more attacking midfielder. Would maybe be good for Nabby, Jones and possibly AOC to have a more free role behind the attackers. 

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

Just had a look at his injury record - not good.

Only managed 150 appearances in league for bayern in 7 seasons.

Only 1 season managed more than 30 league games.

Unlikely that record will improve in our league and as he gets older.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tactical_Times/status/1279335675448430592

Would you be happy with 25 League games from him this season?

29 minutes ago, skaro said:

Would you be happy with 25 League games from him this season?

As he effectively (probably) replaces Wijnaldum who played in 37 this season just ended then possibly no...as the other 12 games are going to see a fair drop off in quality potentially.

This season is also going to really test the robustness of players and we have two others in squad who play in midfield who have question marks in that area - adding a 3rd is risky.

Also being in and out when at new club in a new league can mean difficulty in settling into team/reaching best form.

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Some Spanish paper saying Wijnaldum will happen and saying its around 20ml. 

Looks like Coutinho staying top so the last chunk of that fee should come in. 

If that happens then I guess that's the Thiago fee mostly covered. Be interesting if that leads to a slight change of shape in midfield to a 2 sitting and one more attacking midfielder. Would maybe be good for Nabby, Jones and possibly AOC to have a more free role behind the attackers. 

If I recall correctly one of the coaches said they were working on a tactical tweak. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

7 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

If Gini does go then I will wish him all the best. He has helped bring no 6 and no 19 to the club and if he wants to try something fresh then fair enough. 

He played a massive part of Ending our 30 year wait. 

A very underestimated player. Rarely a bad performance from the guy, and always turned up with a goal in three real big games. 

I think he's worth more than 20 million though, but what can you do, he's only got a year left on his contract. 

If it turns out to be straight swap for thiago, then I don't think anyone can complain really. 

8 hours ago, an tha said:

They've done a q&a with Ian Doyle this morning. He kind of simultaneously says he's not a target except the reason we won't say he's a target is in case we unsettle wijnaldum who'd have to go to make the deal happen and if he doesn't go we might unsettle him when we need him all season. So I think there you have it... We're in for thiago if Gini goes. He also says others are in for thiago, so I assume laying the groundwork for if we fuck it up and thiago moves and Gini goes. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They've done a q&a with Ian Doyle this morning. He kind of simultaneously says he's not a target except the reason we won't say he's a target is in case we unsettle wijnaldum who'd have to go to make the deal happen and if he doesn't go we might unsettle him when we need him all season. So I think there you have it... We're in for thiago if Gini goes. He also says others are in for thiago, so I assume laying the groundwork for if we fuck it up and thiago moves and Gini goes. 

Would sound about right.

Well the only business we’ve done thus far is buying a player for roughly the same amount as what we sold one player for. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to surmise that it’s strictly sell to buy this year. Hopefully that’s bollocks and it’s more to do with changing of CEO’s and a little bit of brinkmanship but I’m not holding my breath.