You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

It's a strange saga but i don't think we are really in for him. Klopp likes his players in early and recently we haven't dragged things out when we want a player. Look how quickly we changed left back targets. Minamino was done swiftly too. 

But, we need him, we still struggle with ball retention at times in the midfield. Gini is great, but he's not Thiago and Kieta's passing is not up to scratch. Just abandon the structure and fucking sign him, he won't be 30 until towards the end of next season and he'll be boss at least until he's 33/34. Think of the experience and calmness he can pass on to some of our youngsters too. 

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's been "news" every day that we're going to sign him for the last 2 months +. And there have been no denials from Pearce, Joyce, etc...

Nearest i have seen to anything approaching official news was this on 14th Aug.

However, according to the Liverpool Echo, the Premier League champions have ‘not opened talks’ or made a bid and despite Klopp’s admiration for the player, they say that the midfielder ‘is not an active target’ for the club at present – a stance which has not changed.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nearest i have seen to anything approaching official news was this on 14th Aug.

However, according to the Liverpool Echo, the Premier League champions have ‘not opened talks’ or made a bid and despite Klopp’s admiration for the player, they say that the midfielder ‘is not an active target’ for the club at present – a stance which has not changed.

Pearce and Reddy have reiterated that we're interested plenty of times.

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's because he's probably a direct replacement for Wijnaldum and he's someone with matching experience and pedigree.

But surely one of the reasons they won't go higher with Wijnaldum is his age only to do the same with someone else?

9 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

But surely one of the reasons they won't go higher with Wijnaldum is his age only to do the same with someone else?

We don't need to get younger in midfield, we need to get better. Jones, Keita, Fabinho, Oxlade have plenty of years and development left.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Dangerous said:

Ox has plenty of years in him but nowhere near enough games unfortunately. It’s mad that we could baulk at the demands of a player who is a couple of years older than Ox but will almost certainly play more games over the next 4 years than him.

I think the (only) issue with Thiago is he is also prone. Otherwise we would’ve paid it as he’s a class above all of our midfielders. 

Don't think the age thing is a big deal, they probably see Jones and that lad with the manbun whose name I always forget being central to their plans over the next five/ten years. Possibly got Trent in mind for a move to midfield too. Thiago is more likely about putting some much-needed creativity in there. I don't think we should be selling anyone though, deffo not Gini. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think the non denial from Pearce has been the one telling thing about this. He's usually super eager to deny stuff.

Didn't he say the other day that the only way it happens if if Wijnaldum leaves?

(I'm basing that on someone quoting him on twitter, so it might not be accurate)

Just now, Section_31 said:

Don't think the age thing is a big deal, they probably see Jones and that lad with the manbun who's name I always forget being central to their plans over the next five/ten years. Thiago is more likely about putting some much-needed creativity in there. I don't think we should be selling anyone though, deffo not Gini. 

Harvey Elliott surely?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Are we really arguing what the definition of a "saga" is? Jesus, who cares. Ok fine, there's been "speculation" for months. Happy?

You called it the 'worst saga of all time'...I just thought it was a strange stance to take and wanted to challenge that view.

No big deal.