You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heres a novel idea. Why don't we buy him first, then worry about whether Gini leaves or not? i wouldn't say they were like for like anyway.

This will happen. I reckon he signs and Gini leaves for free next year.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Not quite the same, the difference is you take out one key player from us for an extended period it would have a huge impact. 

Take out one key player from any other top six club wouldn't really make a difference. 

Alisson was out for 10 weeks and we won virtually every game.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Bayern Munich have decided to cut Liverpool-linked midfielder Thiago Alcantara’s asking price by £9million, according to a report.

Liverpool are keen on the 29-year-old Spaniard, who looks likely to have played his last game for the German side.

Thiago turned down a new contract earlier this year, with his current deal into its final year.

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said he would work with clubs who presented a “fair offer” for the midfielder. Previous reports have said Rummenigge is looking for at least €30million (£27million).

According to The Athletic, Bayern’s original asking price amounted to £36million.

However, given they would rather lose Thiago for a fee, they are willing to accept £27million.

As such, the source adds that Liverpool could make their move official in the coming weeks.

Liverpool have so far shown a reluctance to spend in this summer’s transfer market, backing away from Timo Werner’s release clause.

What’s more, the Reds ended interest in Jamal Lewis with Norwich wanting around £20million for the left-back.

Earlier suggestions were that Liverpool could wait until January for Thiago, when he will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club.

Thiago capped off another trophy-laden season on Sunday by helping Bayern win their sixth European Cup.

The Spaniard has now won the competition twice in his career, also picking up 11 league titles in his time with Barclona and the Bundesliga side.

Bayern boss Hansi Flick said he would understand the midfielder wanting a new challenge, perhaps in the Premier League.

Haven't Munich wanted 30m euros for ages? 

It's always rumours until it's fact.

EDIT - in the stack of utterly shit posts I've made on this forum over the years, this must rate as one of my worst.  Quite an accolade when you think of just how awful so many of my posts have been.

Edited by JohnnyH
I'm a cunt

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Not quite the same, the difference is you take out one key player from us for an extended period it would have a huge impact. 

Take out one key player from any other top six club wouldn't really make a difference. 

Apparently the only reason Citeh did not push us is because LaPorte got injured.

Fair to say if Vardy got injured Leicester would sink even faster than they did at the end of this season.

44 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

EDIT - in the stack of utterly shit posts I've made on this forum over the years, this must rate as one of my worst.  Quite an accolade when you think of just how awful so many of my posts have been.

All my friends were strangers until I met them.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Heres a novel idea. Why don't we buy him first, then worry about whether Gini leaves or not? i wouldn't say they were like for like anyway.

I think that's the plan. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

It's ok, we've suffered through it too.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Apparently the only reason Citeh did not push us is because LaPorte got injured.

Fair to say if Vardy got injured Leicester would sink even faster than they did at the end of this season.

They had Laporte and Sane out all season and didn't replace Kompany. 

If we had Van Dijk and Mane out all season and let matip leave without replacing him then I doubt we would finish top four. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

They had Laporte and Sane out all season and didn't replace Kompany. 

If we had Van Dijk and Mane out all season and let matip leave without replacing him then I doubt we would finish top four. 

I think you underestimate the impact a winning mentality has on players, so no, I don’t think we’d fail to make the top four, which a lesser incarnation of this side was on course for circa January 2018 when Van Dijk signed, a season in which Mane spent a month injured.

I lost count of the number of times I had high hopes of a collapse when a Ferguson Man Utd side lost a key player or two to injury or suspension and had to replace them with a Sunderland-bound chancer, only for it to make little difference en route to yet another title.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If Matip was Kompany I would be a daisy.

But he is not.

They knew Sane was a done deal last year, in fact the only thing that stopped it was the injury.

This is true, but to be fair this also stopped them from being able to buy a replacement*. That meant they were left with Sane who didn't want to be there and was injured all season anyway.

*at the time they were charged with being cheating cunts and weren't flagrantly braking rules. Now of course, something like this wouldn't stop them.

47 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

This is true, but to be fair this also stopped them from being able to buy a replacement*. That meant they were left with Sane who didn't want to be there and was injured all season anyway.

*at the time they were charged with being cheating cunts and weren't flagrantly braking rules. Now of course, something like this wouldn't stop them.

They knew he was leaving and had brought in Mahrez.