You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

7 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

According to Rummenigge, Thiago is set to leave but we haven’t contacted Bayern about him at all. It looks to me that he was never seriously considered as a worthwhile option and that the link was just hearsay that got out of hand.

Woudnt be a big surprise if this was the case.

What's happening is patently clear.

We're playing clever bollocks again and playing the waiting game, convinced that Klopp has swooned Thiago so good that we can wait until a week before the window closes and sign him for 20m with Bayern shitting their kecks they'll loose him for free.

We did the same thing with Werner (and no doubt, other targets) and that worked out great.

The weeks will pass, another big club will stump up 30m and pay Thiago a nice fat wage and we'll get told by the mouthpieces he was never a target anyway.

• Upvote 2

We’ve just won the champions and the league with best team we’ve assembled in 30 years.  I’d say the people making these decisions are pretty clever.

These clubs can pay more money than us for players, get over it.  Whether we hang around until the end of the window or not if the player wants more money then he will go elsewhere.  If he doesn’t then we will squeeze the club we are buying from.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

We’ve just won the champions and the league with best team we’ve assembled in 30 years.  I’d say the people making these decisions are pretty clever.

These clubs can pay more money than us for players, get over it.  Whether we hang around until the end of the window or not if the player wants more money then he will go elsewhere.  If he doesn’t then we will squeeze the club we are buying from.

They may be clever but their strategy relies heavily on luck.

• Downvote 4

I dont think it relies heavily on luck any more than any other side but its a lot to ask these same group of players to go again in probably the most hectic schedule ever after the last 2 years of sheer mental will. Plus we need a bit of extra class in the squad to rotate and cover and scare the shit out of other sides. We can improve this team the idea we cant is nonsense. Its difficult to complain but its also annoying we always seem to be the tightest budget club.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think it relies heavily on luck any more than any other side but its a lot to ask these same group of players to go again in probably the most hectic schedule ever after the last 2 years of sheer mental will. Plus we need a bit of extra class in the squad to rotate and cover and scare the shit out of other sides. We can improve this team the idea we cant is nonsense. Its difficult to complain but its also annoying we always seem to be the tightest budget club.

Ferguson was mentioned in the Suarez thread, that comparison was shit but were we desperately need to follow his model is dealing with internationals. Any of the main 7 or 8 players need to start keeping up minor injuries 5 minutes before the end of the last game before the international breaks.

Hopefully Brewster and Jones will be solid squad players this season. They certainly look talented enough to me. 

I do think the squad could be a little stronger - especially at the back with Lovren leaving. Matip is very injury prone.

I'm glad we got another full back in though. 

41 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I found it strange we didn’t sign Werner and very disappointing. By that yardstick it seems highly unlikely Thiago is coming in our direction. 

The difference is Werner was meant to be coming in, with no one going out. In Thiago's case, he'd eventually be replacing Wijnaldum who will run out of contract. Once it becomes clear that he isn't signing a new deal, we'll get Thiago. 

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

No, it relies heavily on Klopp.

It does, but if Klopp lost Mane or Virgil for a long period due to an unlucky injury then only so much magic he has. 

One injury to Alison and we got dumped out by a shit atletico team. 

5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

It does, but if Klopp lost Mane or Virgil for a long period due to an unlucky injury then only so much magic he has. 

One injury to Alison and we got dumped out by a shit atletico team. 

Same logic applies to any of the top sides take out 2 or 3 of there best players and they'll struggle.

The Alison injury was key vs A. Madrid but we weren't clinical either which was a problem - we created loads of chances and on another day would wipe the floor with them. Just one of those nights 

25 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Same logic applies to any of the top sides take out 2 or 3 of there best players and they'll struggle.

The Alison injury was key vs A. Madrid but we weren't clinical either which was a problem - we created loads of chances and on another day would wipe the floor with them. Just one of those nights 

Not quite the same, the difference is you take out one key player from us for an extended period it would have a huge impact. 

Take out one key player from any other top six club wouldn't really make a difference. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Not quite the same, the difference is you take out one key player from us for an extended period it would have a huge impact. 

Take out one key player from any other top six club wouldn't really make a difference. 

I wonder if this is true?

Laporte, missed a few months, City fell apart.

Utd, they missed half their penalties before Fernandez arrived. Him getting injured would cost them 15 goals.

Spurs lost Lloris, their sub keeper threw in a shit load of goals.

Chelsea don't really have a best player, just tonnes of 7/10 lads. They have missed Kante badly though.

Arsenal would be relegated without Aubayang.

• Upvote 1

We got to the Champions League Final with Karius for fucks sake. We ride our luck but no more so than anyone else. We certainly don’t build our strategy of success around it. For instance when our luck ran out and Karius lost us the Champions League final we spent a shit load of money on a better goalkeeper.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Daisy said:

City lost their best centre back for the whole of last season and they were crap. I'm amazed we've managed to win what we've won with with such a shit squad & shit owners while relying on luck. 

• Upvote 2