You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Guest Alex_K
40 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Lyon were 11-1 last night

What are you even talking about? Sometimes it just reads like you don't think before you post .. or do you actually think Man City were 11-to-1 on to win last night because Lyon were 11-to-1 against?

22 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

What are you even talking about? Sometimes it just reads like you don't think before you post .. or do you actually think Man City were 11-to-1 on to win last night because Lyon were 11-to-1 against?

They were roughly that on the exchange, yes. I think the decimal odds on City were 1.08 which is 1/10 give or take. 

Guest Alex_K
6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

They were roughly that on the exchange, yes. I think the decimal odds on City were 1.08 which is 1/10 give or take. 

City were not 11-to-1 on with an actual bookmaker to beat Lyon in a one off game on neutral ground in normal time. They were 2/9 with William Hill for example.

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

Thiago is definitely class but he plays in Fabinho’s position.  I think we’d have to change our game or formation to fit him in and I just can’t see us doing it.

I think we will certainly adapt our style.

We've evolved year on year with how we set up and approach games, and common sense says the next step is to dominate WITH the ball against the top sides.

It's the only thing we're not THE best team in the world at doing, and this guy helps us do that.

The way we set up our midfield is unsustainable because of the work rate they go through. Everyone (bar Gini) has picked up injuries there, Lallana became broken, and Keita may follow suit.

Part of the reason the front 3 and full backs stay fit is down to the work put in by the middle 3. That has to change if we are to evolve, and the signings of Keita, Minamino, and the left back point towards that.

7 hours ago, ManéMan said:

He didn't look that great the other night even though his team annihilated Barca.

Some stats popped up at the end of my stream that had him in the top 2 for passes made and completed, top for touches by a fair bit, and 3rd for distance covered. On top of that he had a few key passes directly leading to the goals, quite a few no look passes too, and you know we are all into that kind of thing 'round these parts.

I reckon he more than did his bit last night, you were probably just looking too hard for an inch perfect 50 yard pass cutting Barca in half or for him to skin three players in a row. 

With the pace and trickery plus Bobby's link up in our front three having a world class passer of the ball in midfield would be frightening. Ok we would give up a bit of defensive solidity but from what I saw he was pretty tigerish and not afraid to press and tackle. Don't see him starting immediately but can see what he would bring when teams sitting back .

i reckon the next set of rumours to come out will be LFC are happy to wait till next season and take him on a bosman in january. this is all about putting pressure on munich. i have said all along this deal is too expensive for LFC. We'll be aiming for about 20m euros. and i reckon that'll be funded (at least in part) by wilson and/or gruic. 

If you actually look at the information we have there is a glaringly obvious conclusion to all of this.  Wijnaldum’s contract is due to run out next year and the club haven’t said a word to him.  Thiago’s contract is due to run out next year as well and he’s spoken glowingly about us.

The only people talking in the media are Bayern and I think if it weren’t for them doing this nobody would be saying a thing.

I seen a comment above about dealing with Bayern is not like dealing with Southampton.  I find this quite laughable really.  Southampton tried their hardest to keep Van Dijk and got the club to write a public apology and pay a world record fee from a mid table team months later.  They’ve squeezed good money out of us for every player we’ve signed from them.  It’s all the same thing wherever you go.  The fact Bayern and their media parrots haven’t shut up for weeks about this shows how weak they are.  They’re absolutely desperate to make money out of this and not lose him on a free.  If Liverpool have convinced him to wait for us and us only then Bayern are fucked with the difference being he’s only got a year left and not 5 like Big Virg.  They will take what we offer or get nothing at all.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, The Guest said:

If you actually look at the information we have there is a glaringly obvious conclusion to all of this.  Wijnaldum’s contract is due to run out next year and the club haven’t said a word to him.  Thiago’s contract is due to run out next year as well and he’s spoken glowingly about us.

The only people talking in the media are Bayern and I think if it weren’t for them doing this nobody would be saying a thing.

I seen a comment above about dealing with Bayern is not like dealing with Southampton.  I find this quite laughable really.  Southampton tried their hardest to keep Van Dijk and got the club to write a public apology and pay a world record fee from a mid table team months later.  They’ve squeezed good money out of us for every player we’ve signed from them.  It’s all the same thing wherever you go.  The fact Bayern and their media parrots haven’t shut up for weeks about this shows how weak they are.  They’re absolutely desperate to make money out of this and not lose him on a free.  If Liverpool have convinced him to wait for us and us only then Bayern are fucked with the difference being he’s only got a year left and not 5 like Big Virg.  They will take what we offer or get nothing at all.

A significant part of this equation is if Gini is not going to sign a new contract, it is likely the club will try their best to sell him. Moves could be dependent on each of these going through to their respective destinations.

I would imagine both players will do the same thing. Gini stays to leave on a free; Thiago the same. Gini sold; Thiago signed. 

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Oh just get the fucker signed. Is Parry running the shitshow ?

This. For the sake of 10/15 million quid (which is fuck all this day in age at the top) just get the bastard in, lean him on something and we can crack on delivering numbers 20 and 7. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He’s already chosen a house though. 

Clearly easily distracted. Swerve while we still can. 

Planet Cast can provide his TV service. He'll sign up for at least a fortnight. 

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, The Guest said:

If Liverpool have convinced him to wait for us and us only then Bayern are fucked with the difference being he’s only got a year left and not 5 like Big Virg. 

He's older than VVD was however, so we should be eager to bring him in at the earliest opportunity. This side deserves at least one more European Cup - no question about that. Realistically with this 11 we've got 3 more seasons to squeeze a genuine opportunity out of. Thiago being here makes that far more likely. It feels like it goes far too under the radar that this team is a genuine dynasty-maker. Over the next couple of seasons we should be laying down a marker to being one of the all-time-greats.

Just now, setreal said:

FWIW, my Bayern supporting mate is convinced this is done and will be announced after the CL.

Player wanting to concentrate on 2 of the biggest matches of his entire career...

It's a pretty reasonable excuse for not wanting any distractions, isn't it? If this is dragging on 2 weeks after Bayern complete their CL campaign, fair enough. 

11 hours ago, Alex_K said:

He's older than VVD was however, so we should be eager to bring him in at the earliest opportunity.

In the context of The Guests post, I don’t think signing him now or 6th October makes much difference. 

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

In the context of The Guests post, I don’t think signing him now or 6th October makes much difference. 

? If he has a year left wouldn’t it be next summer? Why 6th October?