You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Keita talk is more about hopefully what's to come and the flashes he shows here and there, not about what he's done thus far. Because you're right, he's had a minimal impact in general. But also, there's no point in selling Keita unless we like losing money and taking a loss on players, because I'm pretty sure we don't like to do that and that's what would happen.

And I definitely think we're interested in Thiago. The issue is Bayern are still in the Champions League and nothing will be done until that is over so journos are just killing time by posting shite. 

I think the question is if we believe his value is going to depreciate further next season because he’d be getting less opportunities with Thiago in the team and Keita, unlike most of our other midfielders, isn’t a versatile player. He doesn’t have the disciplined and awareness to play DM for example. He doesn’t have the pace to play wide, or the goals to play forward. 

Look, I certainly wouldn’t campaign for it, but I wouldn’t be at al surprised if he was the one ‘sacrificed’. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Elite said:

Looking that way. Be a bit gutted if he leaves, I was a critical of him in his first 2 years but he's gone on to be one of the most improved players in the league and played a massive part in our recent success 

I got the impression he was leaving from those instagram videos on the night of the  presentation - when he took a selfie of him and Mo and Mo told him to "Keep that one" and when he told Sadio he was "the main man", which is something I wouldn't have expected.

8 hours ago, Heinze said:

Echo should be a blacklisted transfer news source. Shitcunts.

They do a podcast apparently, won't someone think of the children.

"So how about those rumors?"

"Ah yes the rumours."

"Let's discuss the rumours after these important messages."

Fans need to take their rise tinted glasses off Naby has contributed the sum total of zero to our success last two years. Injuries apart for 50 mil and wait a year to get him he has been a huge disappointment . Yeah flashes here and there and signs of coming good (how many false dawn's do you get) but let's be realistic he has not produced any sort of consistent performances. If injuries the argument then take a look at some of the negative  commentary on Matip who at least looks the part when playing. I will be gutted if Gini leaves . Get rid of Naby and Alcantara in its a no brainer. Unfortunately City will be sniffing when they come up short in CL this year again.

• Upvote 2

No talks with Wijnaldum apparently.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gini-wijnaldum-contract-liverpool-transfer-18766456

I hope Gini stays but if he left and Thiago came in, we’ve also added Jones to the first team fold then I’d say he’s been replaced. 

By doing that, we’ve also got more midfielders, allowing Fabinho to cover at centre back more often.

I still hope Gini stays though. 

Just now, Scott_M said:

No talks with Wijnaldum apparently.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gini-wijnaldum-contract-liverpool-transfer-18766456

I hope Gini stays but if he left and Thiago came in, we’ve also added Jones to the first team fold then I’d say he’s been replaced. 

By doing that, we’ve also got more midfielders, allowing Fabinho to cover at centre back more often.

I still hope Gini stays though. 

I think there's more to this Gini story than is in the public domain. Not that he scores a lot but Gini normally gives it the big grin and strong man routine when he does. But I noticed when he scored in that game at Anfield against Chelsea, he looked quite angry and just did the strong man bit. Might be nothing because he was clearly made up during the medal and trophy presentation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I think there's more to this Gini story than is in the public domain.

Not sure about the celebration stuff but I do agree with the above. 

Everybody else has signed new deals, everybody assumes we’re going to be there or there abouts for the next few seasons...

If his family is unsettled or he fancies playing in Spain or something, none of us obviously know. 

But from an on the field perspective, I don’t see why anybody would want to leave at the minute. 

2 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Fans need to take their rise tinted glasses off Naby has contributed the sum total of zero to our success last two years. Injuries apart for 50 mil and wait a year to get him he has been a huge disappointment . Yeah flashes here and there and signs of coming good (how many false dawn's do you get) but let's be realistic he has not produced any sort of consistent performances. If injuries the argument then take a look at some of the negative  commentary on Matip who at least looks the part when playing. I will be gutted if Gini leaves . Get rid of Naby and Alcantara in its a no brainer. Unfortunately City will be sniffing when they come up short in CL this year again.

I was expecting a different player based purely on his disciplinary record and the video of him booting his teammate into next week. He hasn't hit the heights we hoped for but he's mile away from being a flop. He's fighting for a place with current footballer of the year and Gini, who's place he was coming to take. Gini has stepped it up massively which is just as good as a new signing. If the Greek lad barely plays but makes Robbo 10% better then he will be a good purchase.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think there's more to this Gini story than is in the public domain. 

Agreed.

Thinking back to the Barcelona semi final, he didn't start in midfield in either game and he said he was angry at being on the bench. 

If both parties wanted him to stay we'd have offered him a new contract by now and he'd have signed it. 

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agreed.

Thinking back to the Barcelona semi final, he didn't start in midfield in either game and he said he was angry at being on the bench. 

If both parties wanted to stay we'd have offered him a new contract by now and he'd have signed it. 

Nah, there are plenty of reasons it could be up in the air contract length, wages, covid, 1st team guarantees.  it's a negotiation after all.

Not that I'm in denial or anything like that.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think there's more to this Gini story than is in the public domain. Not that he scores a lot but Gini normally gives it the big grin and strong man routine when he does. But I noticed when he scored in that game at Anfield against Chelsea, he looked quite angry and just did the strong man bit. Might be nothing because he was clearly made up during the medal and trophy presentation.

There could well be more to it than what's in the public domain, in fact I hope there is, because of its simply Edwards is modelling himself on Rick parry , we've got more problems than Gini ahead. 

As for his goal celebration, I think that's just a symptom of that shit handball rule and var. It struck a Chelsea players arm, but I reckon Gini wasn't sure who's arm it struck, he just knew it had hit a hand and he was expecting it to be ruled out. 

14 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agreed.

If both parties wanted him to stay we'd have offered him a new contract by now and he'd have signed it. 

I reckon if Gini wasn't angry at being dropped there's a problem! But he's not the 1st player to lose his place and get it back, that's football, in fact the captain has been through that cycle too. I'd be shocked if we're not offering him a contract because he was angry at being dropped 16 months ago in a game he made a match winning contribution. 

40 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

There could well be more to it than what's in the public domain, in fact I hope there is, because of its simply Edwards is modelling himself on Rick parry , we've got more problems than Gini ahead. 

Given everybody else has signed a new contract, how have you come to this conclusion please?

1 minute ago, Rotpeter said:

When there was about 3 months left on his contract and after having heard nothing for months.  There are parallels.

He signed it in December. So 7 months & before he was allowed to speak to other clubs.

I'm relaxed about Gini. I can't see him being unhappy for footballing reasons. If he wants an astronomical contract then the club have the right to say no. As much as I like Gini, he's not Gerrard. If he wants to move to other country, then fine - thanks for the service & memories and I wish him all the best.

I want him to stay but if he doesn't then so be it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott_M said:

He signed it in December. So 7 months & before he was allowed to speak to other clubs.

I'm relaxed about Gini. I can't see him being unhappy for footballing reasons. If he wants an astronomical contract then the club have the right to say no. As much as I like Gini, he's not Gerrard. If he wants to move to other country, then fine - thanks for the service & memories and I wish him all the best.

I want him to stay but if he doesn't then so be it.

So, now you see why we're worried in case Edwards goes the full Parry.