You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Keita talk is more about hopefully what's to come and the flashes he shows here and there, not about what he's done thus far. Because you're right, he's had a minimal impact in general. But also, there's no point in selling Keita unless we like losing money and taking a loss on players, because I'm pretty sure we don't like to do that and that's what would happen.

And I definitely think we're interested in Thiago. The issue is Bayern are still in the Champions League and nothing will be done until that is over so journos are just killing time by posting shite. 

Not that he’s in the same boat, but didn’t we made a loss on carrol, on benteke and on Robbie Keane if you go back far enough, with all being moved on swiftly the right decision?

i agree they won’t want to, but if we get £40m of the £60m we paid back for him, and that helps fund players Klopp wants to bring in, i could see it happening

If Bayern are briefing the press with this to flush other buyers out then all of these knobheads would be doing exactly what they are doing right now.  I don’t see why the echo would say the club are denying it.  What have they got to gain by saying it?  It’s clearly more likely that Bayern are bullshitting after not getting a response from their “Man City want him” briefing from yesterday.

The timing of this doesn't sit right. They have a week left in the champions league at most, with 2 ultra professional clubs involved it makes no sense for any noise to be heard. If we were interested we would have told the players agent we will be in touch after the CL and said the same to Bayern.

Bayern pimping a vital player a day before their biggest match in 3 or 4 years makes no sense either. I'm conclusion it has to be his agent trying to smoke out a pay day for himself.

38 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Not that he’s in the same boat, but didn’t we made a loss on carrol, on benteke and on Robbie Keane if you go back far enough, with all being moved on swiftly the right decision?

i agree they won’t want to, but if we get £40m of the £60m we paid back for him, and that helps fund players Klopp wants to bring in, i could see it happening

Klopp rates Keita. He's not going to sell him to fund some other transfer. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It depends on the way the transfer fee is spread over the accounts. 

In accounting terms I can remember reading we even ‘made a profit’ on getting rid of Keane. 

Apparently you can spread the cost of a purchase over the length of the contract but can record a sale as a profit the day they leave. 

Was a long time ago though. 

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It depends on the way the transfer fee is spread over the accounts. 

In accounting terms I can remember reading we even ‘made a profit’ on getting rid of Keane. 

Apparently you can spread the cost of a purchase over the length of the contract but can record a sale as a profit the day they leave. 

Was a long time ago though. 

Let's say we sign a player for £50m on a 5-year contract. That £50m would be written off in the books over those 5 years, thus reducing the player's book value by £10m each year. If after 2 years we sell the player for £40m, we will have made a £10m profit on his sale because he was worth £30m on the books at that point. It's one of the reasons some deals drag out for longer than expected (looking from the outside as we all do), because the selling club will only countenance a deal once the date has passed their financial year end, thus allowing them to include the write down and post a profit on the sale in the next set of accounts.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Let's say we sign a player for £50m on a 5-year contract. That £50m would be written off in the books over those 5 years, thus reducing the player's book value by £10m each year. If after 2 years we sell the player for £40m, we will have made a £10m profit on his sale because he was worth £30m on the books at that point. It's one of the reasons some deals drag out for longer than expected (looking from the outside as we all do), because the selling club will only countenance a deal once the date has passed their financial year end, thus allowing them to include the write down and post a profit on the sale in the next set of accounts.

Hahahaha - you boring cunt. 

ETA: That’s along the way I thought but explains it properly. 

59 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp rates Keita. He's not going to sell him to fund some other transfer. 

You may be right. I’m just arguing that the club might not be too bothered about taking a little hit on the money spent if he doesn’t.

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Would be a good signing if this comes off. Wonder if it could also signal Jurgen's decided if Gini isnt signing a new contract it's time to make a move?

He'd handle it the same way he handled Can, no? 

Let him run down his contract and then get a replacement.