You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Henderson: This title is for Stevie 

TLW

Jordan Henderson says that Winning the Premier League is the perfect tribute for one the clubs greatest players in Steven Gerrard.

Henderson famously took over the captaincy mantle from Gerrard for the 2015/6 season and the pair have stayed close since.

The 30 year-old knew all too well how much winning the League title meant to Gerrard, and felt it was in his personal duty to bring the trophy to Anfield.

The Mirror reported the current leader as saying:

“This one is quite personal for me and definitely to do it for Stevie is quite big – I know how much it would mean to him to win the Premier League title.

“He is so happy for us to be able to do that. 

“I have spoken to Stevie and I will speak to him over the next few days but of course everything that he has done for me and this football club (is so important).

“I was devastated in 2014 that we couldn’t get over the line for him but I know that he will be so happy and so proud of this team to be able to bring the Premier League trophy to Liverpool and, yes, to do it for him is big.”

image.png

Gerrard sent Henderson a personal message last week after the title was clinched saying saying:

"Couldn’t have passed it to a better person...proud of you, mate.”

Last year the Liverpool talisman spoke openly about his ‘open wound’ relating to the infamous end to the 2013/4 season.

“This wound has been open since my experience.

"I am not sure it will close because I can't change that experience and my experience.

"It doesn't affect how I feel towards what I am looking in on now.”

However Henderson hopes that is not the case and Gerrard can rejoice in the moment.

"No one will ever replace him. It wasn’t even in my mind when I took over the captaincy to replace him, it was just to do the best I could the best for this football club and this team and that is all i ever try to do. 

“In terms of Steven Gerrard, no one will ever replace him."

“This is not only for us as players and the fans but it is also for players like Stevie, Kenny who mean so much to this football club.”

Henderson is not one to dwell on personal accolades, despite being the first Englishman to captain his team to Champions League, European Super Cup, Club World Cup and Premier League glory.

“I haven’t even thought about stuff like that.

“I’m just honoured to give back the fans what they have wanted so badly.”

And he is not finished there.

“There’s a lot more to come because we can still do better and still be better."

View full article

56 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

He's become a beast over the last few years. I honestly thought they'd make Van Dijk captain when we signed him, but not a chance.

He's proven me and many others wrong, still vastly under appreciated by England I'm glad to say!

For the first time since we last won the title we have several ‘captains’. 

25 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Stevie who?

I think/hope this is tongue in cheek but the Club and it’s fans will always owe Gerrard a debt of gratitude for what’s come since he left.

Almost single handedly at times, he gave everything to ensure the platform from which Jürgen, Jordan and the rest started their climb towards success wasn’t as low down the mountain as it could have been.

There are probably others who helped stop the Club from declining as far as it could have done but, when Jordan gives the credit he has to Stevie, it’s not lip service, it’s warranted. 

• Upvote 2

Pity that the Club couldn’t have somehow kept Gerrard’s players registration.

With the title won, and with him kicking his heels because Rangers aren’t playing, he could’ve played in enough games, even as sub, to qualify legitimately for a winners medal.
No-one could’ve forecast this though sadly.

1 minute ago, coachpotato said:

With the title won, and with him kicking his heels because Rangers aren’t playing, he could’ve played in enough games, even as sub, to qualify legitimately for a winners medal.

I'd never be so embarrassed for another human being as I would be for Gerrard if he did this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Should have done the same with Fowler, Hyppia, Carra and Alonso if you ask me. 

41 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

The single worst idea I've ever heard in my life.  And I wanted Aquilani.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

No Jordan lad, this ones for YOU. You are now a club legend in your own right. 

Exactly, he doesn't owe this one to anybody.

Also, his goals are among my favourite this season for the celebrations alone. He's like a fan on the pitch.

• Upvote 1