You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murphy: Guard of honour is a load of nonsense

TLW

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m in 2 minds over the guard of honour. 

Part of me thinks it’ll be funny.

Part of me thinks it’ll be a source of big motivation for Citeh, not only on the night but next season as well. 

Either way, Murphy is an average a pundit as he was a player. The Divock Origi of December 2000 to May 2004. The great memories remain engraved and the wretched performances (and there were many) largely forgotten. Ultimately not good enough. He’s had a face on with us since Benitez sold him to Charlton. 

He fucking wishes he was Divock Origi!

• Upvote 3

He's not thought this through in his haste to 'create' a debate, has he? Is he saying when Messi, Ronaldo or any other acclaimed player loses out in a title race, they dont need to applaud or form a guard of honour for that league's champions because they are world class players and the others arent?

What happens in the FA Cup when a lower league team beats a Premier League team? Is he saying the Premier league team's players do not need to congratulate their victorious opponents at the end because their victors arent fit to lace their boots?

The man's a fucking eejit. He reminds me of Ron Sanders, a dour, miserable man who was once manager of Villa.

I'll always be grateful for his winner against the red mancs but he's had a mare here.

I saw the interview with KDB on Football Focus on Saturday & he came across as very level headed person. I'm sure he'll hate being dragged into Murphy's bitter ramblings. 

27 minutes ago, Elite said:

I still don't get how he's got the BBC gig. He wasn't a star player nor does he have a charismatic personality. He's just dull and avoid.

I think not having a charismatic personality and generally being a complete dullard is a prerequisite for the gig.

Modern punditry depends on saying daft shit to get retweets and clickbait headlines sadly, file this with Carragher calling Wan Bissaka the best right back in the world. 

City players were singing songs taking the piss out of us last year now they'll have to stand there and acknowledge our greatness, and rightly so.

Murphy will have to go back to just being a russian doll version of Alan Shearer.

• Upvote 4

Guest Alex_K

He looks like a convict in that picture. Next time our midfield smashes City all over the shop like at Anfield or in the Champions League better make sure someone is around to remind them "stop - dont you know youre not fit to lace Kevin's boots?"

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Either way, Murphy is an average a pundit as he was a player. The Divock Origi of December 2000 to May 2004. The great memories remain engraved and the wretched performances (and there were many) largely forgotten. Ultimately not good enough. He’s had a face on with us since Benitez sold him to Charlton. 

Are you kidding? Seriously? You're equating the man who got us to the Champions League final against all odds then put the game to bed there with Danny Murphy? Put some respect on Origi's name.

Saying KDB is a better footballer than any midfielder we have is not an overly controversial opinion; he is one of the best footballers on the planet after all. But saying they're not fit to lace his boots is fucking ridiculous. It's not like lacing his boots is difficult, is it? And KDB would have to be some prick to employ someone to specifically lace his boots for him – and even more of a prick to think that a fellow professional footballer would think it a good gig. And I am even more doubtful he'd be able to convince a newly crowned premier league winner to do it for him. 

31 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Are you kidding? Seriously? You're equating the man who got us to the Champions League final against all odds then put the game to bed there with Danny Murphy? Put some respect on Origi's name.

Short memories...

Along with 3 winners at Old Trafford & 1 at Woodison, he played a significant role in our treble season (he scored in our runs to each final that season & started v Arsenal & Alaves), subsequent title challenge & CL run and then the 2003 League Cup Final. 

Divock has had moments that will go down in club history but it’s unfair to overlook Murphy’s contributions. 

Murphy is quite obviously wrong on this matter though & to say some of our players aren’t fit to lace KDB’s boots is a ridiculous.

What did he say when English lionheart John Terry was given a guard of honour in his final game for Chelsea? Terry was subbed in the 26th minute (his shirt number) and all the players gave him a guard of honour off the pitch too.

I sort of agree with his guard of honour comments.  It’s fucking cringe and is definitely forced.  It’s amusing because the way they’ve acted and they’re now forced through their own PR bullshit to do it.  The De Bruyne stuff is laughable.  He’s technically the best midfielder in the league but “not fit to lace his boots”, I’m not having that.

On Murphy himself I thought he was crap.  One half decent performance every 5 or 6 games kept him in the side when you felt he’d done enough to get dropped.  Lives off a couple of not even exceptional moments, not remembered for the quality but who they were against.  He’s a crap pundit who always seems to find himself in the position against Liverpool as if to convince everyone he’s impartial.  Knobhead.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I think he see's himself as a 'say it as I see it' merchant - I see him as a right miserable cunt with more than a hint of bitterness towards the Club for whatever reason. 

He's like a really shit Lawrenson, both on and off the pitch.

He was absolutely nothing like Lawrenson on the pitch.