You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murphy: Guard of honour is a load of nonsense

TLW

Danny Murphy has ridiculed the idea of Liverpool getting a guard of honour by Manchester City ahead of their clash on Thursday night calling the whole tradition as a ‘load of nonsense.’

City manager Pep Guardiola confirmed that his side will honour that tradition in their first game since been crowned as Premier League Champions.

But the former Liverpool midfielder says that he thinks it is a relic from the past and both supporters and players would.rather it not go ahead especially when it comes to paying tribute to major rival.

The Echo (via Talksport) reported Murphy as saying:

“It’s a perception of respect, ‘the right thing to do’, the message you’re trying to send to the football world that when somebody wins, that you show respect and grace.

“The fact City will be doing it on Thursday will show humility, saying ‘well done’ to Liverpool and appreciation for their quality. I think it’s a load of nonsense!

“I don’t know where it started and why it started, I would feel uncomfortable doing it. I’d do it because you have to do it, but I wouldn’t want to do it, because it’s not done with sincerity.

Murphy said respect between the teams is natural but to have such a open display is not necessary.

image.png

“If I was a Liverpool player and United won the league, you know they’re better than you, you respect that and you’re trying your best to be like them, so they know you respect them.

“The fans don’t want you to do it, the players don’t really want to do it, it’s all for effect and it doesn’t mean anything.”

“Kevin De Bruyne is the best midfielder, probably, in the world, and he’s clapping his hands and giving a guard of honour to players who can’t even lace his boots."

Liverpool have had the shoe on the other foot in more recent times, giving Chelsea a guard of honour when they won the league in the 2014/5 season at Stamford Bridge.

Back then there was a similar discussion, as it was a fierce rival.

However through gritted teeth and a chorus of ridicule from the home stands, Steven Gerrard led his team in the tribute.

Whether Murphy likes it or not, the guard of honour will go ahead at a empty Etihad stadium and will be further vindication of this team's fine achievement.

View full article

Which player from a Champions League and Premier League winning team isn't fit to lace KDB's boots, I wonder? 

If he applied this sentiment to the pre-game handshake (which should be left to players post-match), I'd agree with him. 

Is what he says really that crazy?

I've always thought it was a bit daft to make a random team pretend to honour the league winners before a match. It's obviously insincere and just pointless.

Although it makes for good television talking points in cases like this year, where we've taken the title off City, which is why it will never go away.

• Upvote 1

Potato headed fuckwit. 

Forget about our fan tribal feelings, most actual teams of players have respect for fellow professionals. There is a long tradition of applauding the champions like this, just mostly not this early with 7 games to go. 

We didn't win the league so that other teams had to give us a guard of honour, and I believe it will happen at ALL of our remaining games. We won it because we are the best team in the league.

Get clapping you fucking losers. 

• Upvote 1

KDB is a world class player. Hopefully he’s a world class person, and part of being a good person is showing respect and appreciation for the achievements of others. This season, Liverpool have absolutely smashed the league, and their league rival. Man City showing respect for that by giving a guard of honour is a classy move. What Danny Murphy said is not classy or the actions of a classy person. 

• Upvote 9

Yeah, the stuff about guards of honour is just his own opinion (though I don’t recall hearing him express it every other year when someone wins the league and teams give them one, so that’s a big coincidence).

The couldn’t lace De Bruyne’s boots remark, about a set of lads who could hold their own with any side going, any side at all, is what really sets that out as something which should have just stayed inside his big, mutant Maris Piper of a head.

• Upvote 8

I can't fucking stand him. He is up there with Mark Lawrenson as the most boring pundits on the planet ever. He out cunts every other pundit as well. Thoroughly dislikable twat. Not even arsed that he had a semi-decent career with us. 

I hated him long before these comments though. He is one of these people who talks footy and says something without thinking just to be seen to contribute. Complete wanker. 

After diouf I reckon I dislike him most out of our ex-players. 

• Upvote 4

I am thinking about our likely line up and cant think of a single player who is not fit to lace KDB's boots. I feel a bit for KDB who comes across as a likeable, level-headed guy and will be embarrassed by Murphy's moronic comments.

Not arsed one way or the other about guards of honour 

I’m in 2 minds over the guard of honour. 

Part of me thinks it’ll be funny.

Part of me thinks it’ll be a source of big motivation for Citeh, not only on the night but next season as well. 

Either way, Murphy is an average a pundit as he was a player. The Divock Origi of December 2000 to May 2004. The great memories remain engraved and the wretched performances (and there were many) largely forgotten. Ultimately not good enough. He’s had a face on with us since Benitez sold him to Charlton. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Has he said this in previous seasons?

He's not fit to lace the boots of the person that laces our academy players boots.

Only the seasons when one of his former clubs have won the League.