You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When a player you really wanted signed for a competitor, how did it work out?

Remmie

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think we were on the verge of signing Ronaldo but were in negotiations to do so. Thommo says we were talking to his club about a £4m deal. Thommo and Ged went away to think about it when they heard united had bid £12m, Thommo was like 'where the fuck did that figure come from?'

Im not convinced united threw £12m at a teenager is quite straight forward as that. Either there was lots of adds ons and agents fees or we were trying to do a (very) cheap deal.

Anyways, I always wanted us to sign Gordon Banks when Leicester put him up for sale. Couldnt believe it when he moved to Stoke of all places.

I read in Fergusons book that they played Sporting in a pre-season friendly and he tore them apart so they signed him. 

He’s been mentioned earlier but Charlie Nicholas. Looked a potential superstar at Celtic. Went to Arsenal and was still a very good player but would have been better if he’d signed for Liverpool. 

Also, Michael Laudrup. What a player he was anyway but who knows what he could have become if Liverpool has got the deal done. 

What that that lads name from a couple of seasons ago, Lemar or Lemur or something. Looked the business on YouTube, got everyone excited, the deal was on, them he was going to arsenal, then us again, then them, then the clock struck midnight.

what happened to him since? 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

He’s been mentioned earlier but Charlie Nicholas. Looked a potential superstar at Celtic. Went to Arsenal and was still a very good player but would have been better if he’d signed for Liverpool. 

Also, Michael Laudrup. What a player he was anyway but who knows what he could have become if Liverpool has got the deal done. 

Laudrup was widely talked about at the time but it just never happened. He went to Juventus,if I remember correctly? And had a pretty good career. Would have been a great signing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Laudrup was widely talked about at the time but it just never happened. He went to Juventus,if I remember correctly? And had a pretty good career. Would have been a great signing.

We had agreed a 3 year deal with him. That's what he have said himself often in interviews. Then we came back and wanted a 4 year deal but with the same money as the 3 year deal, so we tried to "steal" a years wages. He didn't accept that and along came Juve with the same amount of money and in Italy it was all in netto after tax, so he basically got a 40% wage rise in the time it takes to sign a contract.

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If by done well you mean 'A big pile of lumbering shite penalty box defender that when in space is a complete liability against top strikers' I agree. 

He's a shite John Terry and not fit to lace Gomez boots

He's done very well for himself, less so for Manchester United.

42 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

What that that lads name from a couple of seasons ago, Lemar or Lemur or something. Looked the business on YouTube, got everyone excited, the deal was on, them he was going to arsenal, then us again, then them, then the clock struck midnight.

what happened to him since? 

Went to Atletico Madrid.

Doesn't score any goals. 

Suffers from the same problem Joao Felix does, the ball is usually in the air.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Went to Atletico Madrid.

Doesn't score any goals. 

Suffers from the same problem Joao Felix does, the ball is usually in the air.

Cheers dude. I should have known that, as he played against us in the champs league I guess.

so is it playing style only, or does he not seem to have been worth the hype?

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He came on a trial didn't he? 

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think we were on the verge of signing Ronaldo but were in negotiations to do so. Thommo says we were talking to his club about a £4m deal. Thommo and Ged went away to think about it when they heard united had bid £12m, Thommo was like 'where the fuck did that figure come from?'

Im not convinced united threw £12m at a teenager is quite straight forward as that. Either there was lots of adds ons and agents fees or we were trying to do a (very) cheap deal.

Anyways, I always wanted us to sign Gordon Banks when Leicester put him up for sale. Couldnt believe it when he moved to Stoke of all places.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-gerard-houllier-a8002806.html

We signed Harry Kewell instead. Has a little bit of a "and here's what you could have won" feel to it. 

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Cheers dude. I should have known that, as he played against us in the champs league I guess.

so is it playing style only, or does he not seem to have been worth the hype?

Probably a bit of both.

Atlético's attempted transition to a side that passes the ball occasionally hasn't worked. They seem to have ditched it and now they look a bit better but the likes of Lemar just spend games playing as wide holding midfielders. It's weird in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

Lemar would probably be decent at a side where there was less need for such a change of style. 

That said, even individually I've been distinctly underwhelmed by him. He doesn't have blistering pace and probably needs to play as a 10, which he won't get at Atlético as they spent 400 billion on Felix (comfortably the worst signing in La Liga in the last few years).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Probably a bit of both.

Atlético's attempted transition to a side that passes the ball occasionally hasn't worked. They seem to have ditched it and now they look a bit better but the likes of Lemar just spend games playing as wide holding midfielders. It's weird in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

Lemar would probably be decent at a side where there was less need for such a change of style. 

That said, even individually I've been distinctly underwhelmed by him. He doesn't have blistering pace and probably needs to play as a 10, which he won't get at Atlético as they spent 400 billion on Felix (comfortably the worst signing in La Liga in the last few years).

Cheers pal. Appreciate it.

23 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Sheringham - Apparently we came close to signing him under Evans but Parry wouldn't sanction the deal due to his age - he ended up at the Mancs and a couple of years later helps them win a treble. 

Him and Fowler would have been great together. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

If you’re old school then one we didn’t sign...

40B50065-2FA1-4FD1-B8A7-C58BD40FEED6.jpeg

I was going to mention him. I’m not quite old school enough to remember his transfer collapsing, but I did watch him quite a bit towards the end of his career and remember being gutted when I found out he could once have been a red.