You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When a player you really wanted signed for a competitor, how did it work out?

Remmie

Strangely, most examples I can remember have been more recent than as a kid because you twats get me juiced about players in all sorts of leagues. 

Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Veron and Poborski spring to mind, though I'm sure some hard hitting ones will emerge when I eventually remember/am reminded

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Royston Drenthe, thought he looked great at the u21 Euros and the couple of games I saw him. Now at 33 playing in the third tier of Dutch football think that worked out rather well. 

Ozil looked absolutely incredible at the u21 Euros as well

i often thought of what "might have been" if Gerrard had left and we bought either Michael Essien or Michael Ballack, as they where the rumoured players we where looking at. 

I was more than overjoyed that Gerrard never left, but it would have been interesting to see what they would have added to the team...... 

Alexis Sanchez going to Arsenal. Really needed him to replace suarez. But probably would have kept Rodgers in a job. 

Desailly going to Chelsea. Could have made the difference for Evans. 

Silvestre going to united, Houllier wanted him but wouldn't have made much difference to us. 

Zidane. He stuck it out at Juve for a couple more years before Real Madrid came calling. We even got him a house on the Wirral! His loss.

Mendieta. I wanted us to sign him after Valencia played us in 1998. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile, and showed his quality over the next few years by being a mainstay of the Valencia team that reached back-to-back CL finals. He eventually got a big money move to Lazio but it didn't work out for him. He ended up on loan at Barcelona as a squad player before finishing up at Middlesbrough.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Alexis Sanchez going to Arsenal. Really needed him to replace suarez. But probably would have kept Rodgers in a job. 

Desailly going to Chelsea. Could have made the difference for Evans. 

These are the two I thought of.

I wonder whether Rodgers and that team could have got a tune out of Sanchez. 

1. Götze - he never really got over his health issues, and Sadio has been superb.
2. Dahoud - killed it in the games I saw, doing okay at Dortmund, but Gini has been wonderful

3. Heaton - to replace Mignolet, and he’s done very well since

4. Maguire - I wanted us to sign him from Hull, and he’s also done very well for himself 

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

4. Maguire - I wanted us to sign him from Hull, and he’s also done very well for himself 

If by done well you mean 'A big pile of lumbering shite penalty box defender that when in space is a complete liability against top strikers' I agree. 

He's a shite John Terry and not fit to lace Gomez boots

• Upvote 4

I'm pretty sure there was talk of Christiano Ronaldo moving to Liverpool, then United swooped and he spent the next few years mastering cuntery. 

52 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Zidane. He stuck it out at Juve for a couple more years before Real Madrid came calling. We even got him a house on the Wirral! His loss.

Mendieta. I wanted us to sign him after Valencia played us in 1998. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile, and showed his quality over the next few years by being a mainstay of the Valencia team that reached back-to-back CL finals. He eventually got a big money move to Lazio but it didn't work out for him. He ended up on loan at Barcelona as a squad player before finishing up at Middlesbrough.

Thats where we went wrong. 

Sanchez is a great example of the direction a player can take depending on his environment. At Barca he was in a support role and worked his bollox off there. In his first couple of years at Arsenal he done the same, gave absolutely everything. Eventually the attitude of a club will rub off on you and you end up being a selfish prick. I'm convinced if he had of come here he could be still here and have the same standing in the same as Mane and Salah. 

A few from the 1980s/90s that still make me wonder what would have happened to our fortunes,

Charlie Nicholas,linked with us for ages,then went to Arsenal.Would have been interesting to see how the front three of him Kenny and Rushie would have worked.

Gazza when he went to Spurs instead of waiting another year to join us,so the story goes.

Des Walker,would have added pace to the back four in the early 90's but went to Italy.

Tim Flowers,Ruddock tried to get him to change his mind but he went to Blackburn.

• Upvote 1

I dont think we were on the verge of signing Ronaldo but were in negotiations to do so. Thommo says we were talking to his club about a £4m deal. Thommo and Ged went away to think about it when they heard united had bid £12m, Thommo was like 'where the fuck did that figure come from?'

Im not convinced united threw £12m at a teenager is quite straight forward as that. Either there was lots of adds ons and agents fees or we were trying to do a (very) cheap deal.

Anyways, I always wanted us to sign Gordon Banks when Leicester put him up for sale. Couldnt believe it when he moved to Stoke of all places.

• Upvote 1