You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit players that had worldie's against us?

Elite

Guest Alex_K
29 minutes ago, Wicket said:

I would never have called it a worldie but pretty sure Ian Marshall scored winners against us twice. I was at one of them where he scored in the last minute at Anfield. 

Just for some added context into why it probably happened, this was our team that day. The bench is probably the worst one I’ve ever seen us have. Laughably bad all round really. 

Liverpool: James, Song, Carragher, Babb, Matteo, Thompson, Redknapp, Ince, Leonhardsen, McManaman, Riedle. Subs: Kvarme, Staunton, Dundee, Ferri, Friedel.

United beat Juventus in Turin on the same night to reach the European Cup final - talk about contrasts. McManaman was clearly taking the club for a ride and headed for the door. Crowning glory to a decade of mediocrity. Dark times probably matched only by Hodgson's stint.

Houllier is under-estimated now but he did a real job turning the club around when he came in given the circumstances. We'd be beating the Italian champions on their own patch within 2 seasons.

Can’t speak for his overall performance, but I recall one Adam Tanner scoring the only goal of a meek surrender that gave soon to be relegated Ipswich Town their first ever win at Anfield in 1995.

Ipswich were managed by George Burley, who was still in charge when they returned to the top flight in 2000 and beat us at Anfield again by the same scoreline via a Marcus Stewart goal.

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

United beat Juventus in Turin on the same night to reach the European Cup final - talk about contrasts. McManaman was clearly taking the club for a ride and headed for the door. Crowning glory to a decade of mediocrity. Dark times probably matched only by Hodgson's stint.

Houllier is under-estimated now but he did a real job turning the club around when he came in given the circumstances. We'd be beating the Italian champions on their own patch within 2 seasons.

Did Marshall play for Leicester? Only remember him at Oldham.

Guest Alex_K

Clicked on that link and saw this one in the sidebar:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/324439.stm

Read a post on here re: never forgiving Houllier for selling Fowler. That Leicester result & the above shows what a shit show Houllier walked into. Sort of gives some context as to why he had his big clear out. Imagine that happening with one of ours under Klopp?

Those Leicester games make me think of Matt Elliott. A yard dog of a defender but he was excellent against us and fairly sure he scored as well.

Seem to remember there being a clamour for us to sign him at the time too as his toughness was the opposite of what we had back then.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

Those Leicester games make me think of Matt Elliott. A yard dog of a defender but he was excellent against us and fairly sure he scored as well.

Seem to remember there being a clamour for us to sign him at the time too as his toughness was the opposite of what we had back then.

It said a lot about the quality of our squad at the time. We were surprisingly loyal to Carragher as a young defender coming through the ranks compared to if it was the internet age, like now.He'd have had plenty of morons calling for his head before he even had a chance to show his ability.

9 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

Yeah, I can definitely recall us being linked to him in the late 90s. Fairly sure his typically fine form at Anfield wouldn’t have been maintained had the deal been done.