You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Liverpool XI without a league title

aRdja

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

It’s the opposite but, of course, it is relative. His body remains far better than mine but it let him down regularly which definitely had an impact on his career. I also don’t doubt the strength of mind needed for any kind of top level sportsman, it’s just that I don’t think this was his greatest asset when compared with some of the others being put forward for this team.

The first touch/pass thing was just something I noticed throughout his Liverpool career. Maybe others saw this differently.

As for his soul, no idea.

If I recall, Jamie Redknapp was a decent midfielder and was first seriously injured while playing for England. He constantly suffered injuries after this. Frank Lampard had a great career and I do think Jamie Redknapp could have had a similar experience but like many Liverpool players, representing England did little for their club careers. 

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

At a macro level he was part of 3 different cup/title winning teams alongside his national World Cup final. On an individual game basis, you can look at Leverkusen '02 where we conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes after he went off injured and were knocked out. You can look at Istanbul. The 3-1 defeat at home to Barca in 01. He was exceptionally important in elite games.

If someone doesn't understand Hamann's quality they're probably a lost cause. He played at a completely different level to Redknapp, which is just fact. A comparison with Mascherano maybe .. but Redknapp .. what was it John Henry once said?

This is true.  Redknapp was a tidy player, but Hamann was, despite bring a bit of a knobhead,  far superior.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, stringvest said:

This is true.  Redknapp was a tidy player, but Hamann was, despite bring a bit of a knobhead,  far superior.

Yeah the behaviour is an interesting one. Maybe the memory is playing tricks but the alcoholism, gambling addiction etc all seemed to come out after his career with us. He always seemed to conform to the “stoic German” stereotype; shows we never really know what’s going on behind the scene/external image I guess.

6 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah the behaviour is an interesting one. Maybe the memory is playing tricks but the alcoholism, gambling addiction etc all seemed to come out after his career with us. He always seemed to conform to the “stoic German” stereotype; shows we never really know what’s going on behind the scene/external image I guess.

Not to forget the girlfriend beating too... not a cv of a good man.

On 27/06/2020 at 20:29, aRdja said:

In his prime Didi was one of the best DMs in the world. Whereas Jamie Redknapp in his prime, he was warming our bench or Spurs’. Not even a contest IMO. 

Redknapp never “warmed the bench” for us. He was either injured or starting for the most part.

• Like 1