You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Liverpool XI without a league title

aRdja

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep course I do. You couldn't even remember Agger there. I remember Scales being 'ok', I remember him shagging Jordan, winning a huge 3 England caps and won 1 league cup with Liverpool.

Carragher is a club legend who was arguably our man of the match in the greatest night in our history. 

Never knew he shagged Jordan.

14 hours ago, Aventus said:

Funny that all of those other than macca are fairly recent players, or on this side of the halfway point anyway. 

Cant argue with most of them, maybe swap Arbeloa for Finnan. 

I guess because most of the others who were half decent actually won the title with us.  

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep course I do. You couldn't even remember Agger there. I remember Scales being 'ok', I remember him shagging Jordan, winning a huge 3 England caps and won 1 league cup with Liverpool.

Carragher is a club legend who was arguably our man of the match in the greatest night in our history. 

Carra motm when? Are you havin a laugh? If you are talkin about Istanbul here its a joke surely?

51 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

John Scales was arguably the best CB at s time when all of our CBs were fucking awful.  We've had a fair few better ones in the last 30 years.

Hehe he was indeed, it could be the fact the other were deeadful though, I agree.

Reina

Babel

Carra

Hyppia

Jones

Mascherano

Alonso

Gerrard

Don't see anyone better in any of those positions. You could argue about Jones at left back, but he played there for a couple of seasons, and all our left backs were shite since Nicol left, save for Aurelio.

Then, depending on how balanced you want to be up front, its between:

Torres, Suarez, Fowler, Owen, McManaman and possibly Berger.

22 minutes ago, aRdja said:

In his prime Didi was one of the best DMs in the world. Whereas Jamie Redknapp in his prime, he was warming our bench or Spurs’. Not even a contest IMO. 

Redknapp was a top player for his time but injuries fucked him. Hamman was better but if Redknapp didn't have a body made of breadstick he might have taken the spot. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Redknapp was a top player for his time but injuries fucked him. Hamman was better but if Redknapp didn't have a body made of breadstick he might have taken the spot. 

I watched most of Redknapp, a nice footballer for sure. The likes of Gary Macca and Danny Murphy had better careers with us than him though. 

22 hours ago, aRdja said:

I know most of those have won a league title elsewhere, but look at the list of names who missed out on a title during their time with us. Absolutely stellar. Having said that, I’d still back the current lot. 

Reina

Arbeloa

Hyypia

Carragher

Riise

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

McManaman

Suarez

Torres

Manager: Rafa Benitez

Great thread fella

---------------------------Reina

Babbel-------Hyypia--------Carra--------Aurelio

-----------------------Mascherano 

-----------------Gerrard----------Alonso

--------------------------Coutinho

-------------------Suarez-----------Torres

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, aRdja said:

A lot of Didi’s work went through unnoticed, but he was brilliant. Happy to talk you through it some other time. 

At a macro level he was part of 3 different cup/title winning teams alongside his national World Cup final. On an individual game basis, you can look at Leverkusen '02 where we conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes after he went off injured and were knocked out. You can look at Istanbul. The 3-1 defeat at home to Barca in 01. He was exceptionally important in elite games.

If someone doesn't understand Hamann's quality they're probably a lost cause. He played at a completely different level to Redknapp, which is just fact. A comparison with Mascherano maybe .. but Redknapp .. what was it John Henry once said?

I need to qualify a couple of my selections because I just do.

Agger is in ahead of Carragher because he was a better player. Not disputing that Carragher’s contribution to the cause was greater.

No great fan of Riise, but we’ve been consistently weak in that position and I’m not a fan of shoe horning players in who aren’t natural left backs. Best of a moderate lot but he did score ‘that goal’.

Dudek gets his place on the bench purely for Istanbul. Virtually all our none title winning goalkeepers have been average. David James was undoubtedly a better keeper but regularly annoyed me. I was tempted to go for Steve Ogrizovic who was part of title winning squads but never actually qualified for a medal.

Fowler gets the nod as I drunkenly got his name tattooed on my shoulder in the late 1990’s. This ridiculous act still needs justifying regularly. 

4-3-3

P. Reina

R. Jones

D. Agger

S. Hyppia

JA. Riise 

D. Hamann

X. Alonso

S. Gerrard

F. Torres

R. Fowler

L. Suarez

Subs:

J. Dudek

J. Carragher 

J. Mascherano

M. Owen

S. McManaman

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The thing about Redknapp is that he was a brilliant footballer who had two flaws which regularly let him down.

1. His body. As has been said, injuries fucked him.

2. His mind. I always used to think that if Redknapp had a bad first touch, or misplaced his first pass, it would impact his performance negatively for the rest of the game. A good first touch/first pass meant the opposite was true. I know this might be true for many players but, the really great ones, have the strength of mind to move past mistakes quickly, they don’t need to wait for another game. I just never saw that with Redknapp, lovely footballer  when he was properly on his game though. 

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The thing about Redknapp is that he was a brilliant footballer who had two flaws which regularly let him down.

1. His body. As has been said, injuries fucked him.

2. His mind. I always used to think that if Redknapp had a bad first touch, or misplaced his first pass, it would impact his performance negatively for the rest of the game. A good first touch/first pass meant the opposite was true. I know this might be true for many players but, the really great ones, have the strength of mind to move past mistakes quickly, they don’t need to wait for another game. I just never saw that with Redknapp, lovely footballer  when he was properly on his game though. 

So everything apart from his body and his mind were shite? It's a shame we're not able to rate his soul. 

3 minutes ago, Sharp Shooter said:

So everything apart from his body and his mind were shite? It's a shame we're not able to rate his soul. 

It’s the opposite but, of course, it is relative. His body remains far better than mine but it let him down regularly which definitely had an impact on his career. I also don’t doubt the strength of mind needed for any kind of top level sportsman, it’s just that I don’t think this was his greatest asset when compared with some of the others being put forward for this team.

The first touch/pass thing was just something I noticed throughout his Liverpool career. Maybe others saw this differently.

As for his soul, no idea.