You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Liverpool XI without a league title

aRdja

I know most of those have won a league title elsewhere, but look at the list of names who missed out on a title during their time with us. Absolutely stellar. Having said that, I’d still back the current lot. 

Reina

Arbeloa

Hyypia

Carragher

Riise

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

McManaman

Suarez

Torres

Manager: Rafa Benitez

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I know most of those have won a league title elsewhere, but look at the list of names who missed out on a title during their time with us. Absolutely stellar. Having said that, I’d still back the current lot. 

Reina

Arbeloa

Hyypia

Carragher

Riise

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

McManaman

Suarez

Torres

Manager: Rafa Benitez

Funny that all of those other than macca are fairly recent players, or on this side of the halfway point anyway. 

Cant argue with most of them, maybe swap Arbeloa for Finnan. 

Scales? Seriously?

if you’re going to argue for someone over Carra, the only one I could consider would be Agger, but Carra wins.

Suarez was better than fowler in all but finishing, but there’s an argument toile room for him.

49 minutes ago, Code said:

Redknapp instead of Hamann and Fowler instead of Suárez. Rob Jones at right back and maybe Scales instead of Carragher.

Redknapp was a good passer of the ball but overall not as good a player as Didi IMO. No offence, but I don’t think it’s close.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Redknapp was a good passer of the ball but overall not as good a player as Didi IMO. No offence, but I don’t think it’s close.

Its not even remotely close. Hamann was a completely different class, not to mention totally different player. Scales above Carragher is doesn't carry too. I've never been a fan of the image Carragher portrays and he was physically shot by the end of his time here, but 05 is as much his win as it is Gerrards. Those backs-against-the-wall wins against those top, top Juve & Chelsea sides just don't happen without him (Gerrard didnt play in Turin).

Riise probably deserves his place. He fell off badly and he was chiefly to blame for the Chelsea calamity in 08 (Mascherano had a little part to play) but he was a really strong goal scoring left back at his peak and big positive in the early 00s and another big player in the 05 run. Obviously fell off badly form-wise towards the end of his time. We were lucky to get 10 games a season out of Aurelio. Overall it makes sense to see the bulk of the team being Rafa's as on the face of it our 08/09 side was probably the best domestic team to never win a Premier League since the league began.

The fact that we've got an embarrassment of riches up front, but much less choice at the back, suggests that there's a reason we've had to wait so long.

I've gone with a 4-3-3 of

Reina

Riise

Hyypia

Carragher

Johnson

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

Suarez

Torres

Fowler

I was torn between Agger and Carra, but since I've gone with attacking full-backs, I thought I'd best stick to the one who's a better stopper.  Tough call to leave out McManaman, Mascherano, Jones, Aurelio, Owen, Coutinho, Sterling, etc. but I'm happy with this XI.

Just saw Angry’s side. I’d go with most of it but I’d have three or four others in before I’d have Glen Johnson playing. Hugely overrated footballer. 

I’d also put Aurelio on for Riise, who was decent further forward but never a reliable left back.  

5 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Scales? Seriously?

if you’re going to argue for someone over Carra, the only one I could consider would be Agger, but Carra wins.

Suarez was better than fowler in all but finishing, but there’s an argument toile room for him.

I loved Scales, for reasons unknown I forgot about Agger. Id obviously put him in there instead, never been a fan of Carragher, hed be way down my list of CB’s.

Scales was easily better than Wright though.

And Hamann is nowhere close to Redknapp ‘s quality, Id have Smicer over Hamann as well, not to talk about Mascherano.

Hamann’s best quality was to put his arse out and fall over ffs.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Code said:

Hamann’s best quality was to put his arse out and fall over ffs.

Funny that, I thought Hamann's best quality was to have been a starting player in World Cup/Champions League/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/German Cup/League Cup finals across 4 different teams (Bayern Munich, Newcastle, Liverpool & Germany).

Turns out his "best quality was to put his arse out and fall over". Who knew.

5 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Funny that, I thought Hamann's best quality was to have been a starting player in World Cup/Champions League/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/German Cup/League Cup finals across 4 different teams (Bayern Munich, Newcastle, Liverpool & Germany).

Turns out his "best quality was to put his arse out and fall over". Who knew.

Hamann was a useful player, but not anywhere close to being the 3rd or 4th best midfielder to not win the league with Liverpool.

18 minutes ago, Code said:

How old are you again? Do you even remember Scales playing for Liverpool? 

Yep course I do. You couldn't even remember Agger there. I remember Scales being 'ok', I remember him shagging Jordan, winning a huge 3 England caps and won 1 league cup with Liverpool.

Carragher is a club legend who was arguably our man of the match in the greatest night in our history. 

• Like 1