Quantcast
Best Liverpool XI without a league title - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aRdja

Best Liverpool XI without a league title

Recommended Posts

I know most of those have won a league title elsewhere, but look at the list of names who missed out on a title during their time with us. Absolutely stellar. Having said that, I’d still back the current lot. 


Reina

Arbeloa

Hyypia

Carragher

Riise

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

McManaman

Suarez

Torres
 

Manager: Rafa Benitez

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I know most of those have won a league title elsewhere, but look at the list of names who missed out on a title during their time with us. Absolutely stellar. Having said that, I’d still back the current lot. 


Reina

Arbeloa

Hyypia

Carragher

Riise

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

McManaman

Suarez

Torres
 

Manager: Rafa Benitez

Funny that all of those other than macca are fairly recent players, or on this side of the halfway point anyway. 

 

Cant argue with most of them, maybe swap Arbeloa for Finnan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

---------------------Reina

Babbel--Hyypia--Carra--Arbeloa

 

----------Alonso---Mascherano

Mcmanaman--Gerrard---Suarez

---------------------Torres

 

Coutinho

Riise

Fowler

Owen

McAllister

Henchoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redknapp instead of Hamann and Fowler instead of Suárez. Rob Jones at right back and maybe Scales instead of Carragher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scales? Seriously?

 

if you’re going to argue for someone over Carra, the only one I could consider would be Agger, but Carra wins.

 

Suarez was better than fowler in all but finishing, but there’s an argument toile room for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Code said:

Redknapp instead of Hamann and Fowler instead of Suárez. Rob Jones at right back and maybe Scales instead of Carragher.

Redknapp was a good passer of the ball but overall not as good a player as Didi IMO. No offence, but I don’t think it’s close.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Scales wasn't even our best centreback at the time.

Yeah I was 12 at the time but thought Mark Wright was our best defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Redknapp was a good passer of the ball but overall not as good a player as Didi IMO. No offence, but I don’t think it’s close.

Its not even remotely close. Hamann was a completely different class, not to mention totally different player. Scales above Carragher is doesn't carry too. I've never been a fan of the image Carragher portrays and he was physically shot by the end of his time here, but 05 is as much his win as it is Gerrards. Those backs-against-the-wall wins against those top, top Juve & Chelsea sides just don't happen without him (Gerrard didnt play in Turin).

 

Riise probably deserves his place. He fell off badly and he was chiefly to blame for the Chelsea calamity in 08 (Mascherano had a little part to play) but he was a really strong goal scoring left back at his peak and big positive in the early 00s and another big player in the 05 run. Obviously fell off badly form-wise towards the end of his time. We were lucky to get 10 games a season out of Aurelio. Overall it makes sense to see the bulk of the team being Rafa's as on the face of it our 08/09 side was probably the best domestic team to never win a Premier League since the league began.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that we've got an embarrassment of riches up front, but much less choice at the back, suggests that there's a reason we've had to wait so long.

 

I've gone with a 4-3-3 of

 

Reina

 

Riise

Hyypia

Carragher

Johnson

 

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

 

Suarez

Torres

Fowler

 

I was torn between Agger and Carra, but since I've gone with attacking full-backs, I thought I'd best stick to the one who's a better stopper.  Tough call to leave out McManaman, Mascherano, Jones, Aurelio, Owen, Coutinho, Sterling, etc. but I'm happy with this XI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw Angry’s side. I’d go with most of it but I’d have three or four others in before I’d have Glen Johnson playing. Hugely overrated footballer. 
 

I’d also put Aurelio on for Riise, who was decent further forward but never a reliable left back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Aurelio was ten times the player Riise was, shame he couldn't stay fit.

Yeah, forgot about him. Real classy player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Scales? Seriously?

 

if you’re going to argue for someone over Carra, the only one I could consider would be Agger, but Carra wins.

 

Suarez was better than fowler in all but finishing, but there’s an argument toile room for him.


I loved Scales, for reasons unknown I forgot about Agger. Id obviously put him in there instead, never been a fan of Carragher, hed be way down my list of CB’s.

 

Scales was easily better than Wright though.

 

And Hamann is nowhere close to Redknapp ‘s quality, Id have Smicer over Hamann as well, not to talk about Mascherano.

 

Hamann’s best quality was to put his arse out and fall over ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Code said:

Hamann’s best quality was to put his arse out and fall over ffs.

Funny that, I thought Hamann's best quality was to have been a starting player in World Cup/Champions League/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/German Cup/League Cup finals across 4 different teams (Bayern Munich, Newcastle, Liverpool & Germany).

 

Turns out his "best quality was to put his arse out and fall over". Who knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

source.gif

 

 

 

How old are you again? Do you even remember Scales playing for Liverpool? 
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Funny that, I thought Hamann's best quality was to have been a starting player in World Cup/Champions League/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/German Cup/League Cup finals across 4 different teams (Bayern Munich, Newcastle, Liverpool & Germany).

 

Turns out his "best quality was to put his arse out and fall over". Who knew.


Hamann was a useful player, but not anywhere close to being the 3rd or 4th best midfielder to not win the league with Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Code said:

How old are you again? Do you even remember Scales playing for Liverpool? 
 

 

 

Yep course I do. You couldn't even remember Agger there. I remember Scales being 'ok', I remember him shagging Jordan, winning a huge 3 England caps and won 1 league cup with Liverpool.

 

Carragher is a club legend who was arguably our man of the match in the greatest night in our history. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×