You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kevin De Bruyne

Bjornebye

Might sound mad but there's no player in the world it would rather have in our XI, Mess included.

Midfield of Fab, Gino/Hendo and De Bruyne and we would win 37 league games with a fluke draw.

15 minutes ago, Em City said:

Might sound mad but there's no player in the world it would rather have in our XI, Mess included.

Midfield of Fab, Gino/Hendo and De Bruyne and we would win 37 league games with a fluke draw.

Leroy Sane is the one for me. 

24 minutes ago, Em City said:

Jaysus, full of spelling errors that one. Gin will do that.

UP THE FUCKING REDS - CHAMPIONS NO. 19

55 minutes ago, Em City said:

Yep. If we had him I honestly think everyone else would just fuck it off for a few years. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. If we had him I honestly think everyone else would just fuck it off for a few years. 

As said earlier,De Bruyne's workrate off the ball would have to improve and under Klopp it definitely would. But we are not buying big names,we buy players and they become big names by becoming successful for us. I think this season's success goes right back to the defeat against Real then signing Fabinho the next day and Alisson soon afterwards. This was well planned and executed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Just to balance the lovefest out a bit, he’s not immune to throwing himself on the ground after minimal contact in that Manchester City fashion. 

Like all professional footballers.   Since they're taught, if you don't go down, you get fuck all.

He's really good but I don't see the point in wallowing that he's not here. When he was available we were shite and not in play to get him and he went to a club that basically don't have to sell players because they're so rich they probably have the ability to pay them their wages in cash. So, meh. And the thing is, City barely need him. They won the title last year with him being out injured for half the season. He's just a cog in their machine.

On 26/06/2020 at 20:33, Alex_K said:

Alongside Aguero he's the only City player that'd definitely make our first 11 (Laporte is debatable, but is he really better than Gomez? Not sure about that..). Given Aguero is perennially injured & 32, they'll have to spend significantly to recover ground against us next season or else hope we have a lot of injuries. Silva & Sane on the way out, Fernandinho at 35 .. big summer for them.

If they’re not in Europe, and if there’s no fans in attendance, I think they’ll walk the league by miles, to be honest.

however much our performance against palace presented otherwise, our type of game benefits much more from support than theirs does.

33 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

If they’re not in Europe, and if there’s no fans in attendance, I think they’ll walk the league by miles, to be honest.

however much our performance against palace presented otherwise, our type of game benefits much more from support than theirs does.

What you've never had you don't miss.

Guest Alex_K
36 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Well for City to walk the league either we need to drop off remarkably, they need to improve remarkably, or some still pretty extreme merger of the two. We're talking 40 point swings. That's huge. It would need to be even more significant than the variance of last season -> this season.

Sure, its possible, but without some pretty severe impetus (impactful transfers on either side; serious injuries to us) I don't see an eventuality where they romp. Every player in our first 11 should be entering even greater prime next season; as mentioned, they've got several key players either leaving entirely (Silva; Sane) or completely falling off in theirs (Fernandinho).

I know its tempting to take conclusions from last night, but that same City side fell to their 8th league defeat last week. I think that's a more significant marker than a game played during the week we won the league (many of our 11s first domestic titles anywhere, ever, by the way. That's a point that's gone unnoticed in most quarters. Cue mass celebration). We'll see next year.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Well for City to walk the league either we need to drop off remarkably, they need to improve remarkably, or some still pretty extreme merger of the two. We're talking 40 point swings. That's huge. It would need to be even more significant than the variance of last season -> this season.

Sure, its possible, but without some pretty severe impetus (impactful transfers on either side; serious injuries to us) I don't see an eventuality where they romp. Every player in our first 11 should be entering even greater prime next season; as mentioned, they've got several key players either leaving entirely (Silva; Sane) or completely falling off in theirs (Fernandinho).

I know its tempting to take conclusions from last night, but that same City side fell to their 8th league defeat last week. I think that's a more significant marker than a game played during the week we won the league (many of our 11s first domestic titles anywhere, ever, by the way. That's a point that's gone unnoticed in most quarters. Cue mass celebration). We'll see next year.

Just got clarity by “walk it” I don’t mean win it by 20+ points. Nobody is doing that to this team of ours, but I can see them winning type games they win at a canter and not losing many at all.

maybe they won’t, but without Europe and behind closed doors that what I expect.

were not going to turn shit, but I just think our fans are a much bigger miss to our lads than theirs are to them.

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Just got clarity by “walk it” I don’t mean win it by 20+ points. Nobody is doing that to this team of ours, but I can see them winning type games they win at a canter and not losing many at all.

maybe they won’t, but without Europe and behind closed doors that what I expect.

were not going to turn shit, but I just think our fans are a much bigger miss to our lads than theirs are to them.

Ok, well even if you say by 10 points, its still likely a swing of 30 points. And if its not by 10 points, then the term walk it probably needs revisiting. I suspect it will be a pretty tight race next year but struggle to see evidence that we will wildly fade & they will wildly resurge.

Its probably an interesting thought that the more cerebral-football will be rewarded over blood-and-guts type without fans. I think it loses sight of how technically exceptional our own team is however. Some outsiders seem eager to paint us as this up-and-at-'em type outfit but players like Gini, Firmino, Trent, Alisson, Salah etc. are among the most technically accomplished players in the world in their position. Our team can go both ways.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Ok, well even if you say by 10 points, its still likely a swing of 30 points. And if its not by 10 points, then the term walk it probably needs revisiting. I suspect it will be a pretty tight race next year but struggle to see evidence that we will wildly fade & they will wildly resurge.

Its probably an interesting thought that the more cerebral-football will be rewarded over blood-and-guts type without fans. I think it loses sight of how technically exceptional our own team is however. Some outsiders seem eager to paint us as this up-and-at-'em type outfit but players like Gini, Firmino, Trent, Alisson, Salah etc. are among the most technically accomplished players in the world in their position. Our team can go both ways.

We went into this season expecting not to be at the points level we were last season, never mind what we could possibly end up achieving. Who knows, we could end up dropping from last year still yet.

it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think we won’t get to the historic sights we set the last 2 years, even if we remain ace. Doesn’t take many of those late winners we got not going in for our points tally to be closer to 80 by seasons end than 100.

we could - because we’re ace - do it again, but we could also end up with 80-85 points. If we got 80 and they got 90 that’s winning it at a canter, but that’s all by the by.

my main thinking is how easily they will look like they’re winning it, even if it never gets to more than a 5 or 6 point lead as I think they’ll stroll a lot of matches.

its all irrelevant. They might be shite and we might run away again, but it’s more likely in my head that they will than we will.

reality is more likely an even contest, I guess.

11 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

We went into this season expecting not to be at the points level we were last season, never mind what we could possibly end up achieving. Who knows, we could end up dropping from last year still yet.

it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think we won’t get to the historic sights we set the last 2 years, even if we remain ace. Doesn’t take many of those late winners we got not going in for our points tally to be closer to 80 by seasons end than 100.

we could - because we’re ace - do it again, but we could also end up with 80-85 points. If we got 80 and they got 90 that’s winning it at a canter, but that’s all by the by.

my main thinking is how easily they will look like they’re winning it, even if it never gets to more than a 5 or 6 point lead as I think they’ll stroll a lot of matches.

its all irrelevant. They might be shite and we might run away again, but it’s more likely in my head that they will than we will.

To be honest, I think it would be fairly incredible for us to get over 95 points next season. That would be three seasons with huge points totals.

I think next season will be a really even affair. It will be margins like an injury to Virgil, Ali, Laporte or De Bruyne for a few months. They really felt Laporte's injury this season. We had Ali out for two spells - we got through the first one thank god, the second one cost us going for a treble but at least the league was pretty much a done deal. I think our starting lineup is better but they have a much better squad. It will be interesting how things might look between now and the start of next season though, because we could then be looking at Neco Williams and Curtis Jones etc as really decent options rather than very talented kids. 

I would love a really good number 2 keeper if we are going to have a quiet tramsfer window. Likewise, a good centre half who can competently fill in if there are injuries and are good enough to keep their place. City will buy very big - I reckon Koulibaly is a cert for them.

Guest Alex_K
5 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Ok but I'm curious, why do you think they will stroll matches that they didn't stroll this year? Do you think the results do not paint an accurate picture this year? Do you think playing behind closed doors will be the defining impact? Unless they have significant transfer business, it seems to me the faults at play this year will most likely resurface again next.

If we get lots of injuries then all bets are off,  but with a full complement of players I'd be surprised (concerned) if we were at the 80 points mark. I actually think not scoring enough goals was a huge problem for us this year even with our ridiculously incredible record (our goal-to-point record is probably more or less the lowest in the last decade for a league winner), but I expect that to improve next year as the players move another year closer to their peak. Firmino surely can't score any less goals .. Minamino will be bedded in. Keita, Fabinho, Ox, Minamino & Origi are only in their mid-20s and should be giving us a lot more again next year. Its such a strong, young team that barring injuries I don't see where a huge fall-off comes in.

My guess is it will be a lot closer, but that if it is it'll be because they've pushed on determinedly rather than us regressing significantly.

On 27/06/2020 at 10:45, VladimirIlyich said:

As said earlier,De Bruyne's workrate off the ball would have to improve and under Klopp it definitely would. But we are not buying big names,we buy players and they become big names by becoming successful for us. I think this season's success goes right back to the defeat against Real then signing Fabinho the next day and Alisson soon afterwards. This was well planned and executed.

Yep