You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CHAMPIONS

benwasmydog

I don’t feel the magnitude of this achievement can or will sink in for a while. Winning the league finally after 30 years, of course that’s easy to reflect on. That’s tangible. We also all recall the near misses, the weight of it, the stress, the anxiety, the sheer pain of some of those we just couldn’t get over the line in that time.

What we were up against though? How City had been built in the most cynical, crooked of ways, the ultimate cheat code having been applied, far more even than Mourinho’s Chelsea. And then, irrespective of all that, the level they had been taken to by Guardiola. Groundbreaking, exceptional side in their own right. Look what they made us do last season to just lose out to them by a point.

That side, being talked about as recently as 12 months ago as maybe the best in the history of our game, stands 23 points behind our unassailable lead tonight! Few would now bet on that gap closing rather than lengthening over the remaining games. Every pundit kept saying the thing last summer; the problem for Liverpool is they can’t pull another season like that out of the bag, but City can. Can safely say that has been conclusively shown to be wrong. 

We broke them this year, maybe even the way we chased them down like the T-1000 last year played it’s part too, but this time out we simply put them in a vice and never let go. They cracked early under the pressure and still the margin of victory wasn’t enough for our lads. Even now it won’t be. The standards, the levels of professionalism and ambition being shown, never seen anything like it. Stunning achievement masterminded by a man who is truly our modern Shanks.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Greek restaurant now mate. Mind you, sat in the beer garden having a cold pint with you would be great. Next time you#re in Europe pop in and visit. 

Yes, I know... emphasis on the OLD Sieker-Mitte.

But nowt wrong with Greek.

Guest Pistonbroke

That point defeat last season would have killed off most teams thinking of another challenge, yet it spurred Klopp and this bunch of players to set the record straight, and my God did they do it in style. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, skaro said:

Yes, I know... emphasis on the OLD Sieker-Mitte.

But nowt wrong with Greek.

We'll get there one day mate. Who knows, I might get over to Melbourne to visit my relations and nab a pint or ten with you. 

9 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anyone else think that that Guardiola will field a weakened team so his so called big players won't have to form the guard of honour? I wouldn't put it past him. 

Dunno, but he's gonna be praying that they win the champions league so he can get out of there on a high cause klopps has his number, always has. 

It's a pity more teams don't see that theyre flakey as fuck at the back, attack is the best form of defence 2hen it comes to them.   

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Dunno, but he's gonna be praying that they win the champions league so he can get out of there on a high cause klopps has his number, always has. 

It's a pity more teams don't see that theyre flakey as fuck at the back, attack is the best form of defence 2hen it comes to them.   

Totally agree, they may have had the lions possession in certain games, especially tonight, yet Chelsea created the majority of chances and could have easily won it more comfortably. 

I know we also struggle at times when a team defends deep but we don't give up so many clear cut chances to the opposition as we always have a shape at the back and the monster that is VVD. Sometimes our own fans forget that football is always 11 v 11 and there is nothing easy about it, you have to be good in all areas. A great manager will have an answer to most scenarios and Klopp beats Guardiola (probably most managers in the World) hands down in that area. Would Klopp have been given the time at clubs like City, Real, PSG etc....? I have my doubts. At Liverpool he has found his third home in management and he kind of chose us due to the fact our fans in general will stick by a manager who gets the club, Klopp certainly does, he was no different at both Mainz 05 and Borrussia Dortmund. 

49 minutes ago, Em City said:

I'm sitting here looking at over Dublin while the rain rolls in and letting the magnitude of this moment of this wash over me.

I wasn't born when the last one was one and your first is always special. I haven't had a drop tonight but it's not needed, the sheer relief and joy that comes with what has been accomplished is more than enough. I'll listen to these on repeat while I try in vain to fall asleep. 

Y.N.W.A

Rain? What rain? There was only golden skies everywhere tonight, man

29 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

I don’t feel the magnitude of this achievement can or will sink in for a while. Winning the league finally after 30 years, of course that’s easy to reflect on. That’s tangible. We also all recall the near misses, the weight of it, the stress, the anxiety, the sheer pain of some of those we just couldn’t get over the line in that time.

What we were up against though? How City had been built in the most cynical, crooked of ways, the ultimate cheat code having been applied, far more even than Mourinho’s Chelsea. And then, irrespective of all that, the level they had been taken to by Guardiola. Groundbreaking, exceptional side in their own right. Look what they made us do last season to just lose out to them by a point.

That side, being talked about as recently as 12 months ago as maybe the best in the history of our game, stands 23 points behind our unassailable lead tonight! Few would now bet on that gap closing rather than lengthening over the remaining games. Every pundit kept saying the thing last summer; the problem for Liverpool is they can’t pull another season like that out of the bag, but City can. Can safely say that has been conclusively shown to be wrong. 

We broke them this year, maybe even the way we chased them down like the T-1000 last year played it’s part too, but this time out we simply put them in a vice and never let go. They cracked early under the pressure and still the margin of victory wasn’t enough for our lads. Even now it won’t be. The standards, the levels of professionalism and ambition being shown, never seen anything like it. Stunning achievement masterminded by a man who is truly our modern Shanks.

That is superb but , I deserved a mention. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

You've had a better run than Forest Gump mate, same procedure next season Miss Sophie! 

33 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anyone else think that that Guardiola will field a weakened team so his so called big players won't have to form the guard of honour? I wouldn't put it past him. 

This could be the biggest "I couldn't give a fuck" moment since me nan told me Deirdre Barlow had been released. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Was on the phone to @Bjornebye when the final whistle went to confirm the title, and wouldn’t have it any other way. He was watching Cash In The Attic repeats or something, but each to their own. Same again from you next season please pal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

I love this club. I feel like I could walk away now. We’ve won the fucking lot. 

I won’t walk away, but I resolve just to enjoy it now.

This, man. Liverpool is one of the few superficial things in my life that I really care about and now I've witnessed them win the biggest possible things and what that feels like. Stress is off now. Can just have fun watching football. It's great. 

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This could be the biggest "I couldn't give a fuck" moment since me nan told me Deirdre Barlow had been released. 

Don't get me wrong mate, I couldn't give a fuck myself, I just think it would be the sort of thing Guardiola would do. I actually hope he does so fans can see his true colours. That guard of honour will be sweet, pity the stadium will be almost empty, I'm sure the City fans would have outdone the Bitters with their booing. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It seems like a million years since the first game of the season; going a goal up after 7 minutes and singing "Liverpool, Liverpool, Top of the League" as a joke.

Norwich eh. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Amazing what you can find whilst trawling for your Liverpool fix at 3.30am in the morning (CET), one for Cloggypop