You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 30 Year Wait

Bjornebye

Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?

49 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Rush would suit our counter press down to the ground, but would his attacking play suit our current team and set up? He’d not get in one of the wide positions and it’s hard to say he’s be a better fit for bobby’s role that Bobby, never mind Kenny.

however, John Barnes At his best 88/89 gets into any team of ours. 

John Barnes rep. 87-91 though.

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Rush would suit our counter press down to the ground, but would his attacking play suit our current team and set up? He’d not get in one of the wide positions and it’s hard to say he’s be a better fit for bobby’s role that Bobby, never mind Kenny.

Of course he, Rush, would get in this team. He defended from the front. He'd score shitloads more goals than he did as well. Cant believe people think Rush was just all out attack.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Negged. 

Bit unfair having a go at Bob over his Rush take. 

Rushy is better than Firmino. Of course he is. But he played on the shoulder. Everything was geared towards creating chances for him. It's basically the exact opposite to how this team is set up with Firmino.

So if Rush gets in this team the team then needs to be set up to play a different way. Or if you keep the same set up, he doesn't get in.

Nothing wrong with pointing that out, surely?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Rushy is better than Firmino. Of course he is. But he played on the shoulder. Everything was geared towards creating chances for him. It's basically the exact opposite to how this team is set up with Firmino.

So if Rush gets in this team the team then needs to be set up to play a different way. Or if you keep the same set up, he doesn't get in.

I wrote a reply to @dockers_strike yesterday but my phone crashed and it didn’t post.

basically was saying just what you said.

Put Rush in your all time XI by all means, but if we’re talking about putting players into “this team” then you have to keep the shape and style of play we have otherwise it’s not “this team” anymore, and you can’t make a strong argument that he gets into either Mane or Salah’s role ahead of either of them or Barnes, so you’re left saying he’s playing Bobby’s role head of Bobby and more importantly ahead of King Kenny, which I don’t think you can.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Rush gets in every all time Liverpool XI. 

It’s nothing personal to Bob, I’d neg anyone not putting Rush in their side. 

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I wrote a reply to @dockers_strike yesterday but my phone crashed and it didn’t post.

basically was saying just what you said.

Put Rush in your all time XI by all means, but if we’re talking about putting players into “this team” then you have to keep the shape and style of play we have otherwise it’s not “this team” anymore, and you can’t make a strong argument that he gets into either Mane or Salah’s role ahead of either of them or Barnes, so you’re left saying he’s playing Bobby’s role head of Bobby and more importantly ahead of King Kenny, which I don’t think you can.

You need to pick Rush, Kenny and Barnes so yes you are going to change the formation. 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Think you do Rush a disservice too, look at how he adapted his game to play with Fowler. Agreed that wasn’t the strongest aspect of his game but he could definitely do it as well. 

I could see JB playing Mane's role without any issues with the advances in sports science , Kenny and Bobby played in similar areas so that's a good argument. Much as I love Rushy I dont think he would displace any of the front three in the new system, but you could argue the extra finishing quality and goals he brings could be worth changing the roles of the wide guys.

OK - so here we go. Dalglish never covered half the ground Firmino does - he did not have to.

@lifetime fan Salah is half the player in that role than he is as the furthest man forward - which is where he has had the freedom to shatter records the last few years.

Individual brilliance gets a nod to the players mentioned - none of them played in a unit as devastating as the team is now.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

OK - so here we go. Dalglish never covered half the ground Firmino does - he did not have to.

@lifetime fan Salah is half the player in that role than he is as the furthest man forward - which is where he has had the freedom to shatter records the last few years.

Individual brilliance gets a nod to the players mentioned - none of them played in a unit as devastating as the team is now.

You think Rush, Kenny and Barnes don’t improve this team? 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

You think Rush, Kenny and Barnes don’t improve this team? 

Not without fundamentally changing this managers system, no. Barnes for Mane is a shout - but Mane's defensive contribution is more than Barnes ever dreamed of. I think this is the best Liverpool side in my lifetime (fan).

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

As good as the current team obviously is, Souness, Gerrard and McDermott would improve it.

• Upvote 1

On 29/06/2020 at 02:51, Ronnie Whelan said:

Love this team and manager.

Not sure how many of them would currently make my greatest ever 11, but what I would say is that there is a good chance in 5-10 years, a number of them will or are in serious chance of doing so.

I think Johnny Barnes, Souness, Kenny, Hansen, Stevie and Rushy are untouchable and probably will be in tem years. Lawro was untouchable previously but now has his place taken by Virgil.

Picking a greatest ever 11 was hard enough before this team came about. Now, it's so five times harder.

My greatest XI from when I started supporting us (1997).

Alisson; Trent, Carragher, Van Dijk, Robertson; Salah, Gerrard, Hamann, Mane; Suarez, Torres

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

As good as the current team obviously is, Souness, Gerrard and McDermott would improve it.

This team, with this system/manager? No. Those are names for a hypothetical Greatest 11 side.

Did any of them ever play in a midfield 3 at the top level? I would give you Gerrard in for Henderson on the right.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

My greatest XI from when I started supporting us (1997).

Alisson; Trent, Carragher, Van Dijk, Robertson; Salah, Gerrard, Hamann, Mane; Suarez, Torres

Salah and Mane are not 442 wingers.

Replace all those off the current team with your second picks and we may have a game - but I think your back 4 would get shredded.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Salah and Mane are not 442 wingers.

Replace all those off the current team with your second picks and we may have a game - but I think your back 4 would get shredded.

They could be.... Salah played in a 4-2-3-1 for Roma as a right winger and Mane played loads for us last season in the same formation. I’m envisaging Suarez dropping deep loads anyway