You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 30 Year Wait

Bjornebye

Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?

7 hours ago, skaro said:

It's great.

But everyone deserved better.

Full pubs. Unbridled joy.

Not just sitting at home.

I hope we win another one, and everyone can enjoy it properly.

That would be justice.

Only another 11 months to wait, mate.

I'm from Ireland and since I was 4 years old I have been a huge fan. My father used to wake me and my brother when he came in from the pub to come down and watch MOTD and share his chicken supper. We kicked him out on my 5th birthday. He was a die-hard Spurs follower (probably 61 double influence) and my brother was a Gooner (big Irish contingent in the 70s) but it was always the Reds for me. Maybe it was just the glory initally but I've always felt that it was more than that. I've felt a real affinity with the club. The winning of the trophies obviously helped but I've said on here before, Heysel was my 10th birthday and it increased the attachment. 

I've been over to the city a fair few times in the past 15 years and it's just feels so comfortable now. The current team has given me so much pleasure in the past few years. When I was sick with cancer last year, the joy in watching the football and even just looking forward to the games got me through some rough times.

I was on a Caribbean holiday for the Barca home game last year with the whole family. We organised it for our mum for her retirement as a thank you for raising us on her own. I shouldn't have gone. I was sick as a dog but didn't want to let her down. Eating was like chewing glass. I could barely speak but that game was a real pick-me-up. My brothers were genuinely delighted for me. I was happy in a sea of shit. The improvement started that night IMO. I was back in work 2 weeks later - on reduced hours and duties but I was on the road. I would have never believed that I would get to that stage so quickly. All is good with me now, touch wood. I am really chuffed for that squad of players and management team. They made a sick man very happy when it was needed. The thing is they play like they know there are thousands of me out there when they pull on the jersey. They really get what Shankly insisted the club was about 60 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

29 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Twitter is abuzz with talks of a party down the Pier Head tonight. 

I can get the spontaneous outbursts of joy last night, but the lids need to knock it on the head now. If this is true, I'm disappointed in some of our fan base. 

It’s true. There’s going to be a lot of teenagers heading down there unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

It’s true. There’s going to be a lot of teenagers heading down there unfortunately.

They're already there, judging by some of the videos. And adults too. With kids. I'd love to be out in this weather celebrating a title for the club I supported when some of these were sitting in their own shit, but it's just too risky. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

They're already there, judging by some of the videos. And adults too. With kids. I'd love to be out in this weather celebrating a title for the club I supported when some of these were sitting in their own shit, but it's just too risky. 

I was dying to run up the ground last night but didn't want to be 'that person'. 3000 others didn't get the same memo. But, what do you expect? 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was dying to run up the ground last night but didn't want to be 'that person'. 3000 others didn't get the same memo. But, what do you expect? 

I can kind of get people going to the ground last night. Like you, I wouldn't do it myself, but can get why people did so in the heat of the moment. But, today's today. People are still buzzing, but they should know better, in my humble opinion. 

• Upvote 1

I've only followed the reds for half of the 30, but spent most of that time posting on here. As someone living rurally in Australia, a lot of following this club involves getting up at stupid times, watching games alone and celebrating like Charlie Chaplin having a seizure. 

This place has been my base as a Liverpool supporter, and there were times when it was just plain shithouse reading that generally reflected what was happening on the pitch. Thankfully, these last few years have been great being a red, which has coincided with probably the toughest few years of my life personally. And it's absolutely helped me through that. As Klopp said, the most important of the least important. 

Cheers, cunts. 

• Upvote 8

The thing is, these people aren’t doing what they want to do to celebrate the title, they’re using celebrating the title as an excuse to do what they want to do.

they shouldn’t. That’s clear. But seeing the beaches around the country, and the mixed messages from government, and a general “life needs to get back to normal” sentiment from people at all levels of society, it was unavoidable.

the title is the excuse people needed. Nothing more.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The thing is, these people aren’t doing what they want to do to celebrate the title, they’re using celebrating the title as an excuse to do what they want to do.

they shouldn’t. That’s clear. But seeing the beaches around the country, and the mixed messages from government, and a general “life needs to get back to normal” sentiment from people at all levels of society, it was unavoidable.

the title is the excuse people needed. Nothing more.

Yep. People have a propensity for stupidity and that has, increasingly, been encouraged by a complicit, complacent and reckless government that stopped taking its own lockdown seriously weeks ago.