You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 30 Year Wait

Bjornebye

Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?

I was 15 when we last won the league and barely remember it. 

I've been bracing my missus every game since it was apparent we would win it this year that I will be a blubbering mess when it's done. She just rolls her eyes and calls me a sad twat. 

Would rather win it actually watching us play a game and get the result needed, but if it happens tonight, oh well. Pissed on a school night again! 

Like all of us on here and no doubt all Reds, this means the world and it is quite hard to put it into words....

I was 18 the last time we won it and if you would have told me then that we wouldn't win it again for another 30 years I simply would not have believed you.

I used to go pretty much every week back then, home and away - but i actually missed the game where we clinched it at home to QPR on the Saturday, but I was there (just) to see us presented with it after playing Derby on the Tuesday after - Dalglish's last appearance for us and Hansen coming out and doing a 'John Terry' to receive the trophy 20 years ahead of that prick!

It felt good winning it that year after the heartbreak of what happened the year before.

Of course since then in the 30 years that have followed we have known plenty more heartbreak - none worse than 2014 when for the first time really since 1990 it felt to me as if it was finally going to be ours again - only for our captain and one of the greatest of all time to suffer what he suffered and we just couldn't recover from that could we.....i have never felt lower about a football result than that day.

The scars remain and have left a mark on all of us i think.

I remember going away to Norwich that season and in the concourse at half time the songs of 'we're gonna win the league' and 'we're gonna win the football league again' were sang as loud and with more belief than i had ever heard them in my adult life....

All the years watching those fucking mancs dominate, winning title after title - us being also rans/putting in the odd challenge like 08/09 when somehow we managed to only lose twice all season, do the double over the team who won it and the team who finished 3rd but still it never really felt like we would win it.

Last season of course - fucking hell, 1 loss, 97 pts - a higher total than any title winning side in history bar the one that beat us that year and their centurions one....you could not be blamed for thinking it is just not meant to be.

But this side hauled themselves up won number 6 and then this season have put together the  most incredible run - truly unseen......only for a fucking Pandemic to sweep the globe, you couldn't write it......the world stopped still, football a part of it.....of course peoples lives and health are more important than football, but fucking hell nobody could be blamed for cursing our fucking luck here, is it about to be taken away from us or at best handed to us in a meeting, when it was so close and so close in such incredible fashion.

The game has come back, albeit in an altered state in an altered world and 30 years of watching us be unable to crack this pinnacle, watching the mancs dominate , watching chelsea's money buy titles, watching Man City cheat to titles, watching Leicester fucking City and Blackburn fucking Rovers scale the mountain - is about to come to a glorious end.

The scenes that would have accompanied it are sadly not going to be enjoyed and seen, but the achievement remains undiminished...

the release, the pride, the joy, the shoving the taunts back down the rests throats are all going to feel great, more than fucking great.

The giant 30 year monkey is finally being thrown off our back, the doubt, the angst, the nervousness, the feeling we are cursed - all gone.

I'll shed tears when it happens and i have no problem at all admitting that, i can only imagine most Reds will be the same.

Liverpool Football Club - Champions.

Feels fucking good!

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB - CHAMPIONS

A liverbird upon my chest

We are men of Shankly's best

A team that plays the Liverpool Way

And wins the Championship in May (or June or July)

• Upvote 10

This will be my first. I was 10 when we last won and  growing up in a country (Australia) where Football (call it soccer here) was classed as a second class sport so it took a bit of time to develop an interest especially as coverage was minimal (pre internet/ no pay TV etc).

USA 94 was when I really began to engage with Football, and not after (95/96) became a fully fledged Reds fan.

Went through some tough years in the late 90s but there was just a connection, and the love for the club has grown from there.

There have been triumphs and heartbreaks thought that time (with plenty of bleary eyed mornings watching the team) but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Even though I live many thousands of miles away, in many ways I have never felt closer to the team than now.  Such a loveable group of individuals led by Jurgen and Hendo but then you’ve got Robbo (personal fav), Virg and the front three etc......

It will be the true culmination of a great journey to get to this point but I am positive it is not the ending either. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jay H said:

This will be my first. I was 10 when we last won and  growing up in a country (Australia) where Football (call it soccer here) was classed as a second class sport so it took a bit of time to develop an interest especially as coverage was minimal (pre internet/ no pay TV etc).

USA 94 was when I really began to engage with Football, and not after (95/96) became a fully fledged Reds fan.

Went through some tough years in the late 90s but there was just a connection, and the love for the club has grown from there.

There have been triumphs and heartbreaks thought that time (with plenty of bleary eyed mornings watching the team) but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Even though I live many thousands of miles away, in many ways I have never felt closer to the team than now.  Such a loveable group of individuals led by Jurgen and Hendo but then you’ve got Robbo (personal fav), Virg and the front three etc......

It will be the true culmination of a great journey to get to this point but I am positive it is not the ending either. 

Cant exactly call you a glory hunting bastard 

A bit of the context I mentioned earlier. This is my nearly-7-year-old son at half-time last night: 

IMG-a5a88a935d4305e10db4ed37881d289f-V.jpg

At his age I wasn't half as into it as he is, what with the ubiquity of football coverage and the interest of his parents. Mine wouldn't know if a football was blown up or stuffed. I was 21 before I got to Anfield while he was only 6 when he got to the Arsenal game in the League Cup:

IMG_20191030_213920628.jpg

It was only recently that the penny dropped with me that the scarf he is wearing has now been to Anfield around the neck of four generations of his family: his great-grandfather, his grandfather (including the Saint-Étienne game), his mother, and now him. It's been a wild 30 years. Here's hoping the next 30 for him are as much of a ride.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 18

i was nearly 9 when we won it last, but simply cannot remember it.

The mad thing, i remember the Michael Thomas Arsenal game like it was yesterday, and that was the year before.

I also remember the FA cup final in 88/89 when we beat Everton, but somehow dont remember winning the league.

I know some lads where saying they'd rather win it next Tuesday against City, but i just hope they drop points tonight. Ive got a bottle of bubbly in the fridge, a few cans of douple ipa and a day off work in the morning, i can withstand the hangover. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, skaro said:

Memories, good and bad.

20200626_000041.jpg

I have to admit that that Villa Park semi v Palace was the scene of me doing something that to this day I regret.

We were on our way back to the car and coming the other way were a group of Palace fans - one of them was in a wheelchair, he shouted at us 'we're going to wembley, you're not' - i replied 'at least i can fucking walk, dickhead'....one of the people with him took real offence and it was only the presence of the law that stopped it turning nasty....there was a fair bit of pushing and shoving before we were moved on.

I felt awful after it, but in heat of the moment i was a kid of 18, really, really pissed off in the immediate aftermath of losing as we did and didn't think!

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I have to admit that that Villa Park semi v Palace was the scene of me doing something that to this day I regret.

We were on our way back to the car and coming the other way were a group of Palace fans - one of them was in a wheelchair, he shouted at us 'we're going to wembley, you're not' - i replied 'at least i can fucking walk, dickhead'....one of the people with him took real offence and it was only the presence of the law that stopped it turning nasty.

I felt awful after it, but in heat of the moment i was a kid of 18, really, really pissed off in the immediate aftermath of losing as we did and didn't think!

I got home to a frat house full of people in London, taking the piss out of me.

It was an unpleasant day.

47 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Never thought I'd say this  

But does anyone have a plastic bag in Chelsea blue?

Dunno about Chelsea blue, but I'm sure some Bloo in your neighbourhood will have a Chelsea flag. And a Man City one, Man Utd one, Madrid one, Barca one (charred), Ajax, Spurs, Atletico, WatfordNapoliPSGRedStarastonvilla...

Despite the players having to complete the season without the presence of fans, I imagine that for the older generation this will feel like winning the FA Cup for the first time in 1965, and for the younger generation it will be like Istanbul 2005. Either way, it will be incredibly special when it finally happens.

The first for me was Shankly's first so I've been very fortunate, and I know there are lot of you on here who have yet to experience what it's like. Believe me after all this time , it will put what we've won in the last 30 years in the shade, even Istanbul. Enjoy every second of it, but I can't wait for the next home game we can go to to hear................

"BRING ON THE CHAMPIONS "

Got no recollection of last time, even though i was 6. First sporting memories i can vividly remember were Barcelona 92, thinking i was going to be a sprinter like Linford or a fighter like De La Hoya. (Neither happened)

Live down south away from family now and lock down has meant i haven't bothered to go home.

I stopped drinking after pissing all over the bedroom and watching my wife clean it up, whilst i was in bed, hungover.

Just bought a bottle of Menebrea from Tesco. Will celebrate with it in the garden should we win it tonight. Wife not happy and is getting the mop ready just in case.

I was 8. I remember thinking we would win the league every season. Then I hit about 15/16 years old and the realisation of having David James in goal finally hit home. 
like @deiseach after the 2014 season I honestly thought I’d never see us win the league again. 
I honestly can’t explain how I feel about winning it. Totally surreal and feel pretty Zen but then I think of all my Utd friends and I start laughing uncontrollably.