You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 30 Year Wait

Bjornebye

Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Our Greatest Title Win In Our History?

30 years. I was 6 when we won the league 89/90 and I don't remember it. I have memories from around that age like Italia 90 and have a vague recollection of the goings on around that fateful day in Sheffield. I also remember the 89 cup final day because I had a bobble hat, I also remember my auntie and uncles wedding that summer of 89. I still can't recall the 90 title win. Maybe it was because we used to win it so often that it didn't resonate as success was just there all the time I don't know. 

If its your first (from memory) title how do you think you will react? I couldn't really absorb last night. I went to a small BBQ with her family and watched it. Came home intending to have a few beers and stay up late but ended up in bed far earlier because I couldn't quite comprehend whats about to happen despite know its going to happen for months. 

If you've seen us win the title before how will it compare? Particularly for the likes of Stringvest and Tokyo who had to endure a 17 year gap after 1906 then a 23 year gap and then a further 16 or so year gap after before we started having a consistent reel of titles.. 

My suspicion is that will be and is the biggest. We have managed to not win the league title in 30 years but have still stayed relevant throughout. Its not like we have mopped up domestic cups but the 06 Champions League kept us right in everyones minds as a top side. 

Its all of a sudden become very surreal to me. I don't care if its tonight, next week or the week after. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

30 years. I was 6 when we won the league 89/90 and I don't remember it. I have memories from around that age like Italia 90 and have a vague recollection of the goings on around that fateful day in Sheffield. I also remember the 89 cup final day because I had a bobble hat, I also remember my auntie and uncles wedding that summer of 89. I still can't recall the 90 title win. Maybe it was because we used to win it so often that it didn't resonate as success was just there all the time I don't know. 

If its your first (from memory) title how do you think you will react? I couldn't really absorb last night. I went to a small BBQ with her family and watched it. Came home intending to have a few beers and stay up late but ended up in bed far earlier because I couldn't quite comprehend whats about to happen despite know its going to happen for months. 

If you've seen us win the title before how will it compare? Particularly for the likes of Stringvest and Tokyo who had to endure a 17 year gap after 1906 then a 23 year gap and then a further 16 or so year gap after before we started having a consistent reel of titles.. 

My suspicion is that will be and is the biggest. We have managed to not win the league title in 30 years but have still stayed relevant throughout. Its not like we have mopped up domestic cups but the 06 Champions League kept us right in everyones minds as a top side. 

Its all of a sudden gotten very surreal to me. I don't care if its tonight, next week or the week after. 

Fuck’s sake, Stig. Quick, there’s still time to change it.

Edited by Tony Moanero

After 30 years, it will be like the first one all over again! It will be sweet. Through the 70's and especially the late 80s, it was almost 'another title, meh' because we were so dominant. It is hard to describe what a 30 year title drought is like when you were accustomed to winning the title virtually every other year.

After that success, at the time, it is hard to admit your team isnt good enough. There was a degree of 'this season we will get it right' only to realise with the club buying out of the bargain bucket, it wasnt happening.

Later tonight, if chelsea score, I'll be cheering. If chelsea draw, I'll be cheering. If we win it, I'll fucking burst into tears even though Im an arl arse.

30 years is just too fucking long. How did we get to here? I know some folk detest FSG, who they are, what they stand for and all that. But, they're the owners in 30 years when we get over the line.

The club from top to bottom is on the right path even if it does get a bit rocky at times. I hope Jurgen can win us another one or two titles before he calls his time here. I hope the players win the medals they deserve.

Im riding this wave for as long as I can.

• Upvote 9

I have had the conversation with friends about if you were allowed to pick a team and a date of birth which would be the optimal choice ,  and some have suggested Real Madrid in the years after WW2, but I don't think I would change my real one of Liverpool 1960 and I have been one lucky bastard with that combination.

With Stig's original point I can only go with my late dad's comments that the 1950's were a relative nightmare and while the League title of 63/64 was special , the only real contender I feel for this upcoming title is the 73 year wait for an FA Cup win and he said it was like a second VE night in Liverpool whe  wd shook off the curse and won it.

• Upvote 1

I was 10 when we last won it, it was a rare live game on RTE, they stuck around for about 5 minutes after the final whistle. It really felt like see you again this time next year. I vividly remember John barnes scoring 1 and Ronnie Rosenthal scored twice in a 3-1 win against QPR. Weird because pretty much every site on the internet has us winning 2-1 and Rosenthal didn't score at all. Mad how so many sites could get it wrong.

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

30 years. I was 6 when we won the league 89/90 and I don't remember it. I have memories from around that age like Italia 90 and have a vague recollection of the goings on around that fateful day in Sheffield. I also remember the 89 cup final day because I had a bobble hat

I was 5 and have a vague recollection of those things too this is going to be something very special after all the near misses the closer it gets the more real it is feeling slowly setting in what where about to do

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

I was 10 when we last won it, it was a rare live game on RTE, they stuck around for about 5 minutes after the final whistle. It really felt like see you again this time next year. I vividly remember John barnes scoring 1 and Ronnie Rosenthal scored twice in a 3-1 win against QPR. Weird because pretty much every site on the internet has us winning 2-1 and Rosenthal didn't score at all. Mad how so many sites could get it wrong.

Yeah good point. I can remember a couple of times when we won it with the last game of the season, 1973, 1986, 1990.

Fuck me before last night, some people were still thinking we could blow it with a 20 point lead. There just wasnt that awareness of failing back in those days even when it did go to the last game. Still, no internet then so you only got the feeling of what your mates or those around you thought, not the world and his wife like now!

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I had a 7 year wait from the year I was born until 1973. Born not manufactured.

Oh yes.

My dad came to wake up a 7 year-old me to tell me to come downstairs and watch our local team winning the UEFA Cup.  No way back after that.

I actually don't have very strong memories of the last time we won it.  Liverpool winning was routine and my head was up my arse, going through a divorce and preparing to leave my job and start a course at Uni.

I was 13 and so blasé about it. But the real takeaway from the last 30 years was missing out in 2014 and thinking in subsequent years that I'd probably never see it happen again in my lifetime. Even the appointment of Klopp, thrilling as it was, merely meant Liverpool would regularly compete for the top four because one of Man City or Chelsea or whatever other club would be picked up as the plaything of oil barons, would always be in the ascendant, and deny Liverpool a fair shot at glory. The luck that accrued to Leicester was a once-in-a-lifetime moment and that moment had now passed for everyone.

Yet here we are. I'm so goddamn happy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah good point. I can remember a couple of times when we won it with the last game of the season, 1973, 1986, 1990.

Fuck me before last night, some people were still thinking we could blow it with a 20 point lead. There just wasnt that awareness of failing back in those days even when it did go to the last game. Still, no internet then so you only got the feeling of what your mates or those around you thought, not the world and his wife like now!

1990 did not go to last game.

We won it on the Saturday v QPR at Anfield and we then played Derby at Anfield on the Tuesday night and got presented with the trophy.

I'm still firmly in the 'if we win it camp' (shocker eh?).

I was 14 when we last won it, I turned 15 in the June afterwards. I was spoiled rotten, I was born at the end of Bob's first season, his only trophyless season in fact.

I was spoiled rotten as a kid, in the first 15 years of my life we won 10 league titles, 1 UEFA Cup, 4 European Cups, 4 League Cups, and 2 FA Cups - we were runners up countless other times (I think we only finished outside of the top 2 once in those 15 years.

I turned 45 a couple of weeks ago, I've waited 2/3 of my life for us to win it again (if we do). If you've told me that in 1990, I'd have said you were nuts (even being the arch pessimist!).

If we win it, I'm not sure how I'll cope with the emotions to be honest, if I don't shed a tear I've probably passed away.

Greatest ever, not sure, unexpected by me at least.

Let's see what happens in the next 7 games (if we win it)!

• Upvote 1

I arrived as a 22-year-old back packer at Dover, from Ostend by ferry, in 1989.

As soon as I got off the ferry, the first phone call I made - in a phone box - was to Liverpool FC, asking about how I go about getting a season ticket - never mind having somewhere to live.

It was my life's ambition - since I was 7 - to watch Liverpool play... to attend a Liverpool/United FA Cup Final at Wembley, the ultimate.  Palace fucked that up for me at Villa Park, about 6 months later - but I was on the Kop when we lifted that title in 1990.

I've spent the last 10 of the 30 years since, talking shit on here, waiting for us to win the title again.  

This place got me back to Anfield - with my son for the first time - thanks to Scott_M.

We lost that day, to Crystal fucking Palace of course - and haven't lost at Anfield since.

I'm hoping we win it tomorrow morning my time, with me online here.

It's been quite the journey for me since 1974, when I first remember taking up the red cudgels... I'm old now - by employable standards, for sure - and, I don't know, this covid thing makes the whole thing about supporting Liverpool a little more global and ecumenical.

When we win the title - whether we're in West Derby, Tuebrook, Nunavut or Melbourne - we'll be here.  

Two quid well spent this month, I reckon.

• Upvote 9

I was still a teen (erm just!) when we won it in 1990,but I still would put 81/82 and 85/86 above this as both times we were almost dead and buried and came through in the end.

This season I'd put along side 87/88,stunning football and we'd basically won it by the New Year!

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fuck’s sake, Stig. Quick, there’s still time to change it.

At least we won last nite. I put my leftovers in the aluminum. Do the math.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

the 1990 season is hazy, apart from the Palace 9-0 win and the FA Cup semi defeat. Not sure why.

Truth be known, we weren't especially good.

I was at a very, very nice 5-2 win at Stamford Bridge - was probably my highlight.

Barnes was outstanding all season - Rosenthal gave us a kick towards the end.

I think it was just nice to win it again after the Arsenal debacle in 1989.